A Stroke Of Luck

Thunk

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2019
Minnesota
My dog house in the back yard is looking pretty shabby.

I built the thing to survive a nuclear blast so it would cost more to throw away than to paint it...and I'm painting my house anyway so it's no big deal to paint it.

But it also needs a new roof...which means go buy a bundle of shingles and roofing felt...what a pain in the ass! And then I'll have left over shingles and felt...WTF do I do with those?

Then I remembered building the thing over 20 years ago...I had the same problem. I went to the tool shed and looked under the work bench & there is a whole bundle of shingles :woohoo:

Then I looked all the way in the back of the shed & there is a left over roll of roofing felt...I'M SET!
:dance:

I built the thing to survive a nuclear blast so it would cost more to throw away than to paint it...and I'm painting my house anyway so it's no big deal to paint it.

But it also needs a new roof...which means go buy a bundle of shingles and roofing felt...what a pain in the ass! And then I'll have left over shingles and felt...WTF do I do with those?

Then I remembered building the thing over 20 years ago...I had the same problem. I went to the tool shed and looked under the work bench & there is a whole bundle of shingles :woohoo:

Then I looked all the way in the back of the shed & there is a left over roll of roofing felt...I'M SET!

I got a little overkill with a dog house once--double walled with insulation in all the walls and floors. For about the first week one of the beagles refused to come out of it she was so happy. I started having to put her food in the door.

double walled with insulation in all the walls and floors.

Sounds EXACTLY like my dog house. And I don't even have a dog any more. But a homeless kitty lived in it until I took her in.

She weathered some wicked storms in that dog house. So I figure it'd be best to keep it for critters in need. Maybe a squirrel will need it some day.

Sounds EXACTLY like my dog house. And I don't even have a dog any more. But a homeless kitty lived in it until I took her in.

She weathered some wicked storms in that dog house. So I figure it'd be best to keep it for critters in need. Maybe a squirrel will need it some day.

Same situation here actually. The dog house is still out there and the cage door is open. I occasionally see cats snoozing in the door way or lounging on its porch (forgot to mention the covered front porch that thing has). I was going to move it once, but the stupid thing weighs a ton. Maybe building the frame with 4 x 4's was a bit of an overkill but I had them on hand so why not. When the dog population dropped to 1 we brought her in full-time (now dead a few years) because she was afraid of being out there alone. Before that, she had zero interest in being an inside dog. She was an odd dog. If you took her out of the kennel she would run right back to it. You never had to worry about her running away. You could leave the gate open and she would never cross it on her own. I could let the other dogs out and you could hear her barking all over the neighborhood but she would stay put. Was like that from the time we got her as a pup. No idea why she was that way. Wasn't sure if it was her nature or maybe something connected to life before we got her.

Same situation here actually. The dog house is still out there and the cage door is open.

Yup. I threw carpet in the bottom and when kitty was living in there I tossed a couple stuffed animals in that I had won out of a claw machine.

They are still in there.

I mean who would want a pet dog that they kept confined to a pen and a dog house? My dog has the run of a couple of acres during the day and stays in the house at night.

I mean who would want a pet dog that they kept confined to a pen and a dog house? My dog has the run of a couple of acres during the day and stays in the house at night.

One who wouldn't want their dog flattened by a car or picked up by the dog catcher I suppose. I have a few acres too but that doesn't change my city has a leash law, a ban in fixed point chaining and cables, and restricts how many hours your dog can be on a run and under what circumstances, so if you have a spirited animal, kennels are their outside default.

Welp, my dog house has a brand new roof! :banana:

I was a bit concerned because after I was done...it looked a little lumpy. Then I figured...wait till it gets hotter and the sun hits it...it'll melt right into position.

I checked later in the day...it was 86 degrees and a bright sun hitting the new roof...it was flat as a pancake :woohoo:

Then I scraped and sanded all the paint off that I could then washed it with bleach water & sprayed it with the hose...Now I'll leave it dry for 4 days and paint.

It'll be good for another 20-25 years.

I mean who would want a pet dog that they kept confined to a pen and a dog house?

My dog never used it.

She loved the back yard so I thunked if she had a house out there she may use it in the winter to stay outside more...but she didn't.

Kitty loved it...but now that she's inside my house she has no use for it. None the less...there's always a wayward critter who needs a place to rest.

Yet more proof that God exists!

First...I find that I have all the materials to put a new roof on the dog house.

Then I get a bug up my ass to do it this morning...even though I know how much work it'll be.

I do it in the cool of the morning (up until 1:00).

Then it gets hot & the sun hits the new roof and melts it into place.

Now we have a thunderstorm and torrential downpour and the new roof is protecting the dog house just as it's supposed to.

I don't know why the good Lord looks out for me so well...but He does!

THANK YOU Lord! :)

The lesson I took from this: NEVER throw away ANYTHING as it will ALWAYS come in handy later!!! Every time I've "tidied up" it has come back to haunt me: now I KNOW I had that stuff SOMEWHERE!!!!!

Greg

Every time I've "tidied up" it has come back to haunt me: now I KNOW I had that stuff SOMEWHERE!!!!!

I agree! But then your house fills up and you get labeled a "hoarder".

That's why you need to build yourself a tool shed!

My mom once asked me..."why did you need to build such a HUGE tool shed"?

I told her..."at the time...16 X 10 didn't sound that huge".

I got a raccoon in my shed. Ya know how I got rid of him?

Moth balls!

I was just looking for a way to annoy him so he'd leave...A large box of moth balls did the trick :banana:

Got the whole dog house painted today.

I used exterior oil-base primer sealer on every square millimeter...Every nook & cranny. It'll survive anything mother nature throws at it.

Next I seal any cracks with a putty knife & when that dries I'll paint the trim forest green to make it all pretty.

But as of now that dog house is sealed and protected! :woohoo:

P1260016.JPG
p5090021.jpg

I finished the dog house today!

Yesterday I sealed all the gaps with a silicone sealant and a putty knife...and this morning I painted the trim hunter green.

I finished at noon and exactly an hour and 20 minutes later it started raining :shock: :crying:

Thru some miracle of miracles...the paint did not run, drip, or get washed away:banana:

Then the sun hit it and baked in on good...WHEW!

That was a close one!

Now...back to painting the house!

Forum List

Back