A report card on the Biden administration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't understand how you people can place all this trust in a fucking politician.

The 2 party system is what got us where we are today and you still think that same 2 party system can unfuck up the fuck up that is their fault

Dr. Anthony Fauci, President Joe Biden’s top medical adviser on the COVID-19 pandemic and White House press secretary, Jen Psaki, conducted a refreshing, highly professional, and informative press briefing today. What a change.

They did so without President Biden hoovering over them or dominating the proceedings. A true leader is able to delegate authority. Biden is that kind of leader even a conservative like me can appreciate.

Trump was never able to delegate authority for two reasons. He didn't trust others to speak for him, and he didn't want to share the limelight with anyone. In the Trump White House, Trump was the spokesman.

But all that is gone now, replaced by professionalism and openness with the press.

In politics, as well as in life, one encounters the future by weighing the odds. In a Senate trial of a Republican President it is extremely unlikely that there will be a conviction since 17 Republicans would have to vote with the Democrats.

It is extremely likely that a Senate trial will be a complete waste of time.

Biden needs to get his cabinet certified ASAP. Another 900,000 Americans filed for unemployment for the first time last week. The pandemic is setting records for new deaths, cases, and hospitalizations. The pandemic and the economy is at its worst right now.

The Senate is split right down the middle, 50/50. Biden needs the cooperation of those 50 Republicans to accomplish his tasks.

What are the odds of Republicans cooperating with a Democratic President while the Democrats are trying to convict Trump of "Incitement of Insurrection?"

The answer: slim and none.

For Pelosi to transmit the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate within days makes no sense. She is noncommittal. “I’m not going to be telling you when it is going,” Pelosi, D-Calif., told reporters Thursday, adding that it will be "soon."

"Soon" is an imprecise term. Soon could mean hours, days, or weeks.

But, wait, there is a glimmer of hope.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell "proposed on a call with Republican senators Thursday that former President Trump’s impeachment trial be delayed until February to give him enough time to mount a defense.

"McConnell told colleagues that Trump should have at least as much time as the president had in previous trials, which means he would like to postpone the proceeding until the second week of February, according to Republican senators on the call," The Hill.

Great that works perfectly with Biden's plan. I knew these two could work together.

Now, if only the Democrats agree.

I wrote in the OP ...

Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man. He will do his best to unite us and adopt policies that benefit all Americans, while removing those policies that do us harm.

Some have said Biden has a funny way of showing unity when he signed seventeen executive orders that reversed seventeen executive orders signed by Trump.

Trump was an unpopular, controversial, divisive President. To achieve unity among all Americans regardless of race, skin color, religion, and gender, Biden was forced to remove Trump's unpopular, controversial, and divisive policies.

Since Biden beat Trump by seven million votes, he felt he had a mandate to do that.

President Joe R. Biden, how refreshing that sounds. What a refreshing day. Our divisive, erratic, foolish, conspiratorial, narcissistic President is gone, replaced by a President who deeply wants to unite us. Barring ill-advised preconceived notions about President Biden, his task should be easy. We are all Americans.

That said, although I voted for Biden for obvious reasons, not unlike 81 million Americans who did the same, I am a conservative Independent. That's official. In CA, we have to declare our political posture. Until I was driven out by Trump, for over a quarter of a century I was a declared Republican. I voted for Biden, but I have some reservations concerning him, mostly having to do with taxation and spending.

I said all that because I want to be honest with readers. I want them to know where I am coming from.

Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man. He will do his best to unite us and adopt policies that benefit all Americans, while removing those policies that do us harm. He wants the United States to rejoin the community of nations, and the days of isolation and making unitary decisions that involve other nations, in particular our traditional allies, are over.

The European Union's top politician, Ursula von der Leyen, said it best. "After four long years, Europe has a friend in the White House."

For the first time in four years, there is optimism in America created by a popular President. 59% of Americans approve of Biden.

On day one, Trump's approval rating was 40%, and, although it went lower than that, it never got much higher. Thus the reason for American optimism.
You're about as conervative as Pol Pot. You're a minion of the Democrat Reich. You promote the police state and defend censorship

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I wrote in the OP ...

Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man. He will do his best to unite us and adopt policies that benefit all Americans, while removing those policies that do us harm.

Some have said Biden has a funny way of showing unity when he signed seventeen executive orders that reversed seventeen executive orders signed by Trump.

Trump was an unpopular, controversial, divisive President. To achieve unity among all Americans regardless of race, skin color, religion, and gender, Biden was forced to remove Trump's unpopular, controversial, and divisive policies.

Since Biden beat Trump by seven million votes, he felt he had a mandate to do that.
Liberal Dictionary"
======================================================
Divisive - not liberal

F He is a moron,your fucked
4m6pbm.jpg

Biden needs to get his cabinet certified ASAP. Another 900,000 Americans filed for unemployment for the first time last week. The pandemic is setting records for new deaths, cases, and hospitalizations. The pandemic and the economy is at its worst right now.

The Times reports, "The House will transmit its article of impeachment charging former President Donald J. Trump with “incitement of insurrection” to the Senate on Monday, Speaker Nancy Pelosi said, triggering the start of a trial unlike any in American history just weeks after Mr. Trump egged on a mob that attacked the Capitol.

"The all-consuming proceeding will overlap with the first days of President Biden’s term, a time when he had hoped to firmly turn the page on his predecessor.

"Neither Ms. Pelosi nor Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, elaborated further on how the trial would run, leaving Washington and the early days of Mr. Biden’s tenure in limbo. Once the article arrives, Senate rules say the chamber must almost immediately be transformed into a court of impeachment and sit in judgment, halting all other business until a verdict is reached.

"But senators can alter the process if they agree, and Mr. Schumer and Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the minority leader, have been discussing delaying the heart of the trial — in-person arguments by the prosecution and defense lawyers — until the following week."

The Times reports, "The House will transmit its article of impeachment charging former President Donald J. Trump with “incitement of insurrection” to the Senate on Monday, Speaker Nancy Pelosi said, triggering the start of a trial unlike any in American history just weeks after Mr. Trump egged on a mob that attacked the Capitol.

"The all-consuming proceeding will overlap with the first days of President Biden’s term, a time when he had hoped to firmly turn the page on his predecessor.

"Neither Ms. Pelosi nor Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, elaborated further on how the trial would run, leaving Washington and the early days of Mr. Biden’s tenure in limbo. Once the article arrives, Senate rules say the chamber must almost immediately be transformed into a court of impeachment and sit in judgment, halting all other business until a verdict is reached.

"But senators can alter the process if they agree, and Mr. Schumer and Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the minority leader, have been discussing delaying the heart of the trial — in-person arguments by the prosecution and defense lawyers — until the following week."
What makes you believe the Senate will take any action on it? What makes you believe Roberts will participate in such a farce?

President Joe R. Biden, how refreshing that sounds. What a refreshing day. Our divisive, erratic, foolish, conspiratorial, narcissistic President is gone, replaced by a President who deeply wants to unite us. Barring ill-advised preconceived notions about President Biden, his task should be easy. We are all Americans.

That said, although I voted for Biden for obvious reasons, not unlike 81 million Americans who did the same, I am a conservative Independent. That's official. In CA, we have to declare our political posture. Until I was driven out by Trump, for over a quarter of a century I was a declared Republican. I voted for Biden, but I have some reservations concerning him, mostly having to do with taxation and spending.

I said all that because I want to be honest with readers. I want them to know where I am coming from.

Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man. He will do his best to unite us and adopt policies that benefit all Americans, while removing those policies that do us harm. He wants the United States to rejoin the community of nations, and the days of isolation and making unitary decisions that involve other nations, in particular our traditional allies, are over.

The European Union's top politician, Ursula von der Leyen, said it best. "After four long years, Europe has a friend in the White House."

For the first time in four years, there is optimism in America created by a popular President. 59% of Americans approve of Biden.

On day one, Trump's approval rating was 40%, and, although it went lower than that, it never got much higher. Thus the reason for American optimism.

He's only been president for less than 8 hours, so it might be a little early for his first report card, but he hasn't grabbed anybody by the pussy or given Russians top secret information in an unannounced oval office meeting, or pissed off all our top allies, so I'll give him a little while before I start judging his presidency. He could have shook his dick at the troops from the capitol steps and still been more suitable to be president than that pig that just left.

He's already gone to his knees.

I had heard that Trump was on his knees crying at MaraLago, but I haven't verified that yet. I'm sure your report is accurate though. You batshit crazy trump supporters probably have better sources for trump's tantrums than i do.

Fascinating.

I wonder how long Trump lives in people's heads.....after he is gone.

Once the article arrives, Senate rules say the chamber must almost immediately be transformed into a court of impeachment and sit in judgment, halting all other business until a verdict is reached.
But senators can alter the process if they agree, and Mr. Schumer and Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the minority leader, have been discussing delaying the heart of the trial — in-person arguments by the prosecution and defense lawyers — until the following week.

Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the minority leader, had initially proposed a delay until Feb. 15 to get the trial underway.

Biden agreed with McConnell. It would seem the Republican Senate minority leader is working more with Biden and Schumer than is Pelosi. Pelosi is just getting in the way, insisting on a quick transfer of the articles, completely disregarding Biden's agenda while knowing the trial will end in failure.

Fortunately, no thanks to Pelosi, sanity prevailed. It seems the Democrats are in no hurry to hear Trump declare loudly on every major network, "I am innocent again!"

The Times reports, "Senate leaders struck a deal on Friday to delay former President Donald J. Trump’s impeachment trial for two weeks, giving President Biden time to install his cabinet and begin moving a legislative agenda before they begin a historic proceeding to try his predecessor for “incitement of insurrection.'"

The trial will begin Monday, February 8.

Democrats want "to force Republican senators to go on the record with regard to Mr. Trump’s actions as soon as possible after the Jan. 6 siege at the Capitol, carried out by a mob of his supporters whom he had exhorted to fight back against his election defeat," the Times.

The problem with that strategy is very simple. The Democrats are thinking like Democrats. They need to think like grassroots Republicans, Trump's base.

If Republicans "go on the record" and exonerate Trump, his base will cheer loudly and proclaim countless "I told you so's." Out front will be Trump once again declaring his innocence.

74 million Americans voted for Trump, and the vast majority of them reject reality, stay quiet, and stay loyal to Trump. A good many Republicans running in 2022 have reason to be concerned about Trump's base in the primaries.

I can't even begin to understand that devotion, but there it is.

I am hoping the trial will last three to five days. Get it over quick and move on. We have far bigger problems than Trump's fate.

Democrats want "to force Republican senators to go on the record with regard to Mr. Trump’s actions as soon as possible after the Jan. 6 siege at the Capitol, carried out by a mob of his supporters whom he had exhorted to fight back against his election defeat," the Times.

The problem with that strategy is very simple. The Democrats are thinking like Democrats. They need to think like grassroots Republicans, Trump's base.

If Republicans "go on the record" and exonerate Trump, his base will cheer loudly and proclaim countless "I told you so's." Out front will be Trump once again declaring his innocence.

74 million Americans voted for Trump, and the vast majority of them reject reality, stay quiet, and stay loyal to Trump. A good many Republicans running in 2022 have reason to be concerned about Trump's base in the primaries.

I am hoping the trial will last three to five days. Get it over quick and move on. We have far bigger problems than Trump's fate.

I think you are reading to many articles on Reddit.

The devotion you reference isn't to Trump.

That concept, of course, is never allowed in the public discussion.

74 million people are stupid or brainwashed or whatever.

There are no alternative explanations allowed. An yet for most of us, there is one (or more). So, why bother bringing it to the table.

It will show up, as you say, in 2022 and I think clever leaders will see that absent the stupidity (the texting and obnoxious press briefings), there is room for a strong leader who isn't afraid to take on the status quo.

If you don't think the GOP is scouring it's ranks for them, you'd be kidding yourself.

I think you are reading to many articles on Reddit.

The devotion you reference isn't to Trump.

That concept, of course, is never allowed in the public discussion.

74 million people are stupid or brainwashed or whatever.

There are no alternative explanations allowed. An yet for most of us, there is one (or more). So, why bother bringing it to the table.

It will show up, as you say, in 2022 and I think clever leaders will see that absent the stupidity (the texting and obnoxious press briefings), there is room for a strong leader who isn't afraid to take on the status quo.

If you don't think the GOP is scouring it's ranks for them, you'd be kidding yourself.

I hope you are right. However, the last four years haven't shown more than 5 or 6 of their leaders who didn't embrace Trump's insanity whole heartedly, and protected him from facing any responsibility for his actions. If the right wants to regain any credibility, they need to get rid of the more than half of republicans who voted to overthrow a fair election on the premise of a known lie. They need to do more than just find a sane candidate. They need to get rid of all those insane congressmen and senators that voted for the overthrow of our election.

Biden agreed with McConnell. It would seem the Republican Senate minority leader is working more with Biden and Schumer than is Pelosi. Pelosi is just getting in the way, insisting on a quick transfer of the articles, completely disregarding Biden's agenda while knowing the trial will end in failure.

Impeaching Trump was an incredibly dumb idea. In the first place, the impeachment trial in the Senate is doomed to fail and a lot of valuable time will be wasted. In the second place there are these well-placed thoughts from Maeve Reston. Pleased take the time to read carefully.

President Joe Biden spent his first week in office trying to convince the nation to see themselves not as Democrats or Republicans, but as Americans united in defeating the pandemic. Then on Friday night, the impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump got a formal date on the calendar, complicating every bipartisan goal on the new President's agenda.

After four exhausting years of Trump that left this country deeply divided and democracy hanging by a thread, the nation breathed easier when Trump decamped Wednesday to Mar-a-Lago, his slashing vitriol silenced by a permanent suspension on Twitter. Next month's trial will bring the outcast former President back to center stage, giving him yet another chance to claim that he is a victim in a never-ending partisan witch hunt and handing him a platform to rally his supporters at a time when he might have otherwise had none.

Biden is caught in an almost impossible vise as the nation reengages in the most polarizing kind of proceeding that exists in Washington.
He has insisted that Trump must be held accountable for the attempted insurrection at the Capitol on January 6, but he has been notably cool to the prospect of impeachment as he tries to unravel Trump's legacy with more than two dozen executive orders in his first three days in office, while simultaneously working the phones to build broader legislative consensus.

The looming trial -- which has the potential to inflame partisan divisions just as quickly as Biden was trying to squelch them -- offers no visible upside to a President who was elected on his promise to bring the warring parties of Washington together and forge compromise in a Capitol that has been defined by strife.

This is the part that is surreal.

The hopes that Biden could bring a different tone to Washington -- which were so bright on Inauguration Day -- were complicated by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's announcement that the House would deliver the impeachment article charging Trump with "incitement of insurrection" to the Senate on Monday evening. Senators will be sworn in for the trial the next day, according to the calendar outlined by Schumer, with trial arguments slated to start on February 9.

I don't get it. Someone explain to me why Democrats are sabotaging a Democratic President. I have to ask because Pelosi and Schumer are silent on these aspects of the ill-advised impeachment.

Why didn't they let the courts decide Trump's fate instead of Senate Republicans loyal to Trump? Pelosi and Schumer do not want to answer that question, nor do Democratic sympathizers on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back