A report card on the Biden administration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a conservative Independent. Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man.

If you can say that after what he has already done in just his first three days to hammer everything that conservatives hold dear, YOU ARE NO CONSERVATIVE. You were a registered republican with progressive ideals.

President Joe R. Biden, how refreshing that sounds. What a refreshing day. Our divisive, erratic, foolish, conspiratorial, narcissistic President is gone, replaced by a President who deeply wants to unite us. Barring ill-advised preconceived notions about President Biden, his task should be easy. We are all Americans.

That said, although I voted for Biden for obvious reasons, not unlike 81 million Americans who did the same, I am a conservative Independent. That's official. In CA, we have to declare our political posture. Until I was driven out by Trump, for over a quarter of a century I was a declared Republican. I voted for Biden, but I have some reservations concerning him, mostly having to do with taxation and spending.

I said all that because I want to be honest with readers. I want them to know where I am coming from.

Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man. He will do his best to unite us and adopt policies that benefit all Americans, while removing those policies that do us harm. He wants the United States to rejoin the community of nations, and the days of isolation and making unitary decisions that involve other nations, in particular our traditional allies, are over.

The European Union's top politician, Ursula von der Leyen, said it best. "After four long years, Europe has a friend in the White House."

For the first time in four years, there is optimism in America created by a popular President. 59% of Americans approve of Biden.

On day one, Trump's approval rating was 40%, and, although it went lower than that, it never got much higher. Thus the reason for American optimism.

Virtually everything quid pro joe has done so far has made our country poorer, less secure and our people less safe. Just what you commies want.

Democrats want "to force Republican senators to go on the record with regard to Mr. Trump’s actions as soon as possible after the Jan. 6 siege at the Capitol, carried out by a mob of his supporters whom he had exhorted to fight back against his election defeat," the Times.

The problem with that strategy is very simple. The Democrats are thinking like Democrats. They need to think like grassroots Republicans, Trump's base.

If Republicans "go on the record" and exonerate Trump, his base will cheer loudly and proclaim countless "I told you so's." Out front will be Trump once again declaring his innocence.

74 million Americans voted for Trump, and the vast majority of them reject reality, stay quiet, and stay loyal to Trump. A good many Republicans running in 2022 have reason to be concerned about Trump's base in the primaries.

I can't even begin to understand that devotion, but there it is.

I am hoping the trial will last three to five days. Get it over quick and move on. We have far bigger problems than Trump's fate.

I think you are reading to many articles on Reddit.

The devotion you reference isn't to Trump.

That concept, of course, is never allowed in the public discussion.

74 million people are stupid or brainwashed or whatever.

There are no alternative explanations allowed. An yet for most of us, there is one (or more). So, why bother bringing it to the table.

It will show up, as you say, in 2022 and I think clever leaders will see that absent the stupidity (the texting and obnoxious press briefings), there is room for a strong leader who isn't afraid to take on the status quo.

If you don't think the GOP is scouring it's ranks for them, you'd be kidding yourself.

I hope you are right. However, the last four years haven't shown more than 5 or 6 of their leaders who didn't embrace Trump's insanity whole heartedly, and protected him from facing any responsibility for his actions. If the right wants to regain any credibility, they need to get rid of the more than half of republicans who voted to overthrow a fair election on the premise of a known lie. They need to do more than just find a sane candidate. They need to get rid of all those insane congressmen and senators that voted for the overthrow of our election.
No one on the rights gives a damn about "gaining credibility" with the Democrat Reich.

I am a conservative Independent. Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man.

If you can say that after what he has already done in just his first three days to hammer everything that conservatives hold dear, YOU ARE NO CONSERVATIVE. You were a registered republican with progressive ideals.
Shanks is a leftwing douchebag. That much is obvious. He's another one of the assholes who claims to be Republican, but then uses all his time to bash Republicans and what they believe in.

Why didn't they let the courts decide Trump's fate instead of Senate Republicans loyal to Trump? Pelosi and Schumer do not want to answer that question, nor do Democratic sympathizers on this forum.

I was really hoping some Democratic leaning forum members would respond to the post #80.

I guess they don't know what is going on either.

President Joe R. Biden, how refreshing that sounds. What a refreshing day. Our divisive, erratic, foolish, conspiratorial, narcissistic President is gone, replaced by a President who deeply wants to unite us. Barring ill-advised preconceived notions about President Biden, his task should be easy. We are all Americans.

That said, although I voted for Biden for obvious reasons, not unlike 81 million Americans who did the same, I am a conservative Independent. That's official. In CA, we have to declare our political posture. Until I was driven out by Trump, for over a quarter of a century I was a declared Republican. I voted for Biden, but I have some reservations concerning him, mostly having to do with taxation and spending.

I said all that because I want to be honest with readers. I want them to know where I am coming from.

Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man. He will do his best to unite us and adopt policies that benefit all Americans, while removing those policies that do us harm. He wants the United States to rejoin the community of nations, and the days of isolation and making unitary decisions that involve other nations, in particular our traditional allies, are over.

The European Union's top politician, Ursula von der Leyen, said it best. "After four long years, Europe has a friend in the White House."

For the first time in four years, there is optimism in America created by a popular President. 59% of Americans approve of Biden.

On day one, Trump's approval rating was 40%, and, although it went lower than that, it never got much higher. Thus the reason for American optimism.
Unfortunately, he'll spend the first year or two of his presidency trying to clean the orange stain.

YeglrXj.jpg

CNN is a pro-Biden network. It reports, "The path in the Senate to convict Donald Trump is extremely slim, with a growing number of Republicans expressing confidence that the party will acquit the former President on a charge that he incited the deadly insurrection aimed at stopping President Joe Biden's electoral win."

For that reason, the Democrats are looking at the 14th Amendment to prevent Trump from taking office again. Section 3 of the 14th Amendment says that no public officials who had “previously taken an oath” to support the Constitution will hold office if they “have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof."

But it's complicated, and use of the 14th might require conviction in the Senate. Catch-22.

For more on the 14th Amendment see: Democrats float 14th Amendment to bar Trump from office

Why didn't they let the courts decide Trump's fate instead of Senate Republicans loyal to Trump? Pelosi and Schumer do not want to answer that question, nor do Democratic sympathizers on this forum.

I was really hoping some Democratic leaning forum members would respond to the post #80.

I guess they don't know what is going on either.

After the capitol attack, most of the country has figured out that trump lied about the election being stolen, and even more evidence of the scam will be forthcoming before long. It looks like it might be important to force republicans to either admit it was all a scam and permit Trump to receive the just results of his actions, or show that they are either stupid enough to still believe the big lie, or unethical enough to not care. Either way, they shouldn't be allowed to pretend they had no part in it.

that they are either stupid enough to still believe the big lie, or unethical enough to not care.

As shown on this thread and several others, you described Trump's base perfectly.
Either way, they [GOP] shouldn't be allowed to pretend they had no part in it.

I cannot agree more. At some point they have to cut themselves off from the far right, even though they may lose an election or two, or they will never see the inside of the White House again.

Moderate Trump followers, the majority, are aghast at the actions and rhetoric of their far right betheran.

Democrats want "to force Republican senators to go on the record with regard to Mr. Trump’s actions as soon as possible after the Jan. 6 siege at the Capitol, carried out by a mob of his supporters whom he had exhorted to fight back against his election defeat," the Times.

The problem with that strategy is very simple. The Democrats are thinking like Democrats. They need to think like grassroots Republicans, Trump's base.

If Republicans "go on the record" and exonerate Trump, his base will cheer loudly and proclaim countless "I told you so's." Out front will be Trump once again declaring his innocence.

74 million Americans voted for Trump, and the vast majority of them reject reality, stay quiet, and stay loyal to Trump. A good many Republicans running in 2022 have reason to be concerned about Trump's base in the primaries.

I am hoping the trial will last three to five days. Get it over quick and move on. We have far bigger problems than Trump's fate.

There are no alternative explanations allowed. An yet for most of us, there is one (or more). So, why bother bringing it to the table.

It will show up, as you say, in 2022 and I think clever leaders will see that absent the stupidity (the texting and obnoxious press briefings), there is room for a strong leader who isn't afraid to take on the status quo.

If you don't think the GOP is scouring it's ranks for them, you'd be kidding yourself.

I hope you are right. However, the last four years haven't shown more than 5 or 6 of their leaders who didn't embrace Trump's insanity whole heartedly, and protected him from facing any responsibility for his actions. If the right wants to regain any credibility, they need to get rid of the more than half of republicans who voted to overthrow a fair election on the premise of a known lie. They need to do more than just find a sane candidate. They need to get rid of all those insane congressmen and senators that voted for the overthrow of our election.

Nobody voted for the overthrow of an election.

The hyperbole on both sides is beyond silly.

The joint vote of the House and the Senate was an attempt to throw out millions of votes from several states., which would change the outcome of the election.

The joint vote of the House and the Senate was an attempt to throw out millions of votes from several states., which would change the outcome of the election.

That's no overthrowing an election.

Sorry to break it to you.

Legal challenges to votes people consider suspicious are always in order.

I don't agree with their assessment, but I certainly don't think it is correct to characterize it as an "overthrow".

"New York (CNN Business)Many once-loyal members of Mar-a-Lago are leaving because they no longer want to have any connection to former President Donald Trump, according to the author of the definitive book about the resort.

"Trump moved to the Palm Beach, Florida, estate after his term ended last week. But without the cachet of the sitting president of the United States working at the estate, guests are finding Mar-a-Lago lost a step. There isn't any entertainment on the property during the pandemic, and Leamer added, "It's a sad place ... it's not what it was.'"

I don't agree with their assessment, but I certainly don't think it is correct to characterize it as an "overthrow".

I certainly understand that is the way you feel. You are wrong.

I certainly understand that is the way you feel. You are wrong.

To each his own.

Impeaching Trump was an incredibly dumb idea. In the first place, the impeachment trial in the Senate is doomed to fail and a lot of valuable time will be wasted.

The DOJ is investigating whether Trump "engaged in an improper attempt to have the DOJ seek to alter the outcome" of the 2020 election.

The investigation comes in the wake of a New York Times report that alleged Jeffrey Clark, the head of DOJ's civil division, had plotted with President Trump to oust acting Attorney General Jeffery Rosen in a scheme to overturn the election results in Georgia.

Which causes one to consider another way the Democrats are screwing with the Democratic President.

Biden's DOJ should be investigating Trump for sedition as well as other related crimes. They can't. The Democrats are using the allegation in an impeachment trial in the Senate which is likely to fail.

Democratic lawmakers know all this. Which is why they do not talk about the projection of that Senate trial. They talk about many aspects of Trump's behavior, but they avoid any discussion concerning the outcome of the trial.

It is almost as if they know they are being foolish and counterproductive, but are doing it anyway.

Pelosi delivered the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate today. The abortive trial begins Feb. 8. Because they know failure is in the cards, there are hints the Democrats want to keep it short and get it out of the way.

Only a fool attempts something that is destined to fail.

As the originator of this thread, I would like to point out that I am not discussing legal challenges to the vote. Legal challenges are irrelevant to the purposes of this thread.

It's complicated, but the logjam in the Senate is probably over, and things can get done, assuming the failed Senate impeachment trial doesn't last very long.

NBC News reports, "Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., signaled late Monday night that he was open to a power-sharing agreement with Democrats that did not include a written commitment to keeping the filibuster.

"McConnell had said he wanted Democrats to promise to preserve the 60-vote threshold to pass nearly every piece of legislation — a rule known as the filibuster — in exchange for the transfer of control of the Senate's committees."

With cooperation of two Senate Democrats and President Biden, McConnell has dropped that demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back