A multistory residential building partially collapsed in the South Florida

Yes, It may still be a story of profit on materials or labor ? and on CNN they are talking about the fact that it had construction on the roof.
Yeah lumber is 100 bucks a sheet

Broward is land of the coward crooked libturds. Most corrupt county in the USA

A libturd has something to do with this absolute
And if it is the friends of lefties we will have only the initials of the terrorists , we have to the same thing going on in France.
This looks like a horrible accident
They said that the condos have a heavy jewish population----terror attack targeting jews is still on the table.

I'm hearing that the FBI has been summoned to the collapsed condominium in Miami.

The FBI ....wow just wow :rolleyes:

Anybody can confirm this?
2500 very religious jews lived in the complex 54% white nonhispanic with 40% something being hispanic---the area is surrounded by jewish religious establishments-----possible terror target.

Yes, It may still be a story of profit on materials or labor ? and on CNN they are talking about the fact that it had construction on the roof.
1:30 am. My lord the worst possible time
Many Jews lived there . It appears they had a massive roofing construction project earlier
Omar and Talib must be dancing in their living rooms. Omar and her brother probably had a good banging with their pet goat last night

I would put this at the feet of the Squad for causing such hatred

This is Biden's America folks. Get used to collapsing

Prayers to those still trapped in the rubble and their families....

Seen a couple of encouraging stories....like how a guy walking his dog nearby heard a cry for help and got the attention of rescuers who saved the person.....hopefully there are more of these stories...

As for causes......my guess would be that it's a sediment problem....since there are claims it has been sinking since the 90's.....I heard the land the condos were built on was reclaimed marsh.....

“When we measure subsidence or when we see movement of the buildings, it’s worth checking why it happens,” Wdowinski said. “We cannot say what is the reason for that from the satellite images but we can say there was movement here.”

I guess the reason I see some folks bringing up libertarianism is because libertarians don't believe in federal or state building codes....they believe the "free market" will ultimately do the right thing......and if they don't -- and you die, your relatives can sue.....but since lots of libertarians don't believe in a monopoly of force to enforce building codes; I don't see how they think any civil court decisions would be enforced either...

Video showing collapse. I saw a flash.

I think what what looks like a flash is the lights going out. There are some sparks too, from lots of wires shorting out.

[Unrelated additional info]:
There are reports of the underground parking garage flooding and the building shaking prior to the collapse. These are false. They are based upon what resident Barry Cohen reported to the media. His interview but has been mis-paraphrased at various websites. The garage flooding was observed after the collapse. That could be due to broken water pipes and/or ground water intrusion into the garage.

On a structural engineering discussion board, someone noted that garage columns are exposed to salty air, and they are often seen deteriorating in Florida apartment buildings.

Here is a picture of a gaping hole opening up in the ground-level parking deck, exposing the underground parking garage. I hope that is not a crack that I have drawn an arrow pointing out. Sure looks like one, though.

View attachment 505132

God bless the first responders.
Hello, thank you for the image because it show well the contrary that is been said .... I have this from a French site that explains:
The cause of the collapse of this 40-year-old tower was not immediately identified but local authorities reported that work was underway on the roof as well as other repairs.
Champlain Towers South had more than 130 apartments, of which about 80 were occupied. It had undergone various inspections recently, including due to the construction of an adjacent building, Surfside Commissioner Charles Kesl told local television channel WPLG Local 10.
'There were some cracks due to this project - minor cracks - that were simply patched up.
Nothing, as I understand it, would indicate that there was a structural problem that could lead to something as catastrophic,' he said.:mad:

French link : Miami : 100 personnes disparues dans l'effondrement d'un immeuble, la terrible vidéo
Bonjour, Dalia.

Yes, similar reporting...

A 2020 study from Florida International University found the Champlain Towers South sea-view condo development was sinking at a rate of about 2 millimeters a year in the 1990s because it sits on reclaimed wetlands.

Wdowinski said he found that Champlain Towers South was sinking at a rate of around 2 millimeters a year in the 1990s due to its position on wetlands but that rate could have slowed down or sped up since then.

However, the land's slow sinking alone would not have caused the building to collapse, he said.

Paper is here:

It has also been revealed that the tower had recently undergone construction work on its roof, sparking fears this may have piled on additional weight to the sinking structure.

Local officials have said the condo block was right in the middle of going through a recertification process required by Miami Dade building code - which dictates that buildings have to be re-certified every 40 years. The building was due to be recertified for the first time since its construction this year.

Kenneth Direktor, a lawyer for the Champlain Towers South Association, told The Miami Herald on Thursday that to prepare for the recertification process an engineer had been hired to plan 'structural and electrical' updates but that work hadn't started yet.

He told The New York Times that the building had been about to undergo 'extensive repairs for rusted steel and damaged concrete' but that he had seen nothing to suggest the collapse was related to issues identified in the engineering review.

The Miami Herald reported that Frank Morabito was the engineer retained by the Champlain towers but that he could not be reached for comment on Thursday.

Direktor told The Washington Post on Thursday that the building was 'thoroughly inspected' recently as part of the recertification process and that a report on the inspection was sent to town authorities.

He described the report's findings as 'fairly typical' for a building of its age and 'did not cast doubt on its structural integrity,' according to the outlet.

Surfside Mayor Charles W. Burkett said roof renovations were being done on the property but that they should not have contributed to the collapse.

He suggested that potential causes could be the result of the foundations being washed out or a sinkhole.
[ Hang on sloopy petro skye ]

However, Surfside Vice Mayor Tina Paul told The Washington Post on Thursday that Champlain Towers South passed a roof inspection on Wednesday - the day before the collapse.

Jeff Rose, a contractor whose parents live in the building, told the Miami Herald that he had done renovations for some of the condos and that work on the roof had started about six weeks ago.

He added that some concrete restoration work was also being done to fix old or damaged concrete but that the concrete work was not out of the ordinary.

'I didn't notice anything I haven't seen in many other buildings in South Florida,' Rose told the outlet.

However, an engineer who specializes in concrete repair projects told the Miami Herald that one potential structural flaw called 'concrete spalling' jumped out at him when he watched video of the collapse

The engineer, Greg Batista, described the flaw as 'concrete cancer' and said that it happens when salt water seeps into porous concrete causing steel rebar in the support beams to rust and expand - which can break the concrete and weaken the beams.

Surfside Commissioner Charles Kesl told Local 10 that there were also 'garage underground issues' found during various inspections recently relating to the recertification process.

'And, to my understanding, there were some cracks from that project - minor cracks - that were just patched up. Nothing, based on my understanding, to the magnitude that would indicate that there was a structural problem that could result in something so catastrophic,' Kesl said.

Kit Miyamoto, chair of the California Seismic Safety Commission also spoke to Anderson Cooper and said that Miami-Dade has actually good standards to examine buildings every year.

Miyamoto said it appears likely that corrosion was a culprit as the side of the building that collapsed was the side facing the ocean. Salt water could have gotten in and corroded the metal columns in the building.

If the soil is settling, that also could have affected the columns, as they get pulled in as the ground settles, Miyamoto said.

Here is video from inside the condo seconds before the collapse. It shows lots of concrete crumbling...

Last edited:
Just look at these heroes risking their lives in an attempt to save complete strangers who may be trapped.

They are getting ready to attempt to drill through the roof of the parking garage, while standing in water...

Reportedly, building was known to be sinking...

Collapsed Miami beach condo tower hadn't been certified since 1981 when it was built and has been 'sinking into the ground since the NINETIES'​

• Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Florida, was built in 1981 and hasn't been recertified since then
  • Shimon Wdowinski, a professor in the Department of Earth and Environment at Florida International University, did a study on the building last year
  • He found that it had been sinking 2mm a year since the 1990s into the ground
  • Miami Dade Building Code states buildings only have to be certified every 40 years
  • The Champlain Towers South Association hired an engineer to review structural and electrical updates ahead of its first certification
  • It was also in the process of re-roofing when the building partially collapsed on Thursday
  • Officials have no idea what caused the building to collapse yet
  • There are now fears the rest of it will collapse soon, further reducing the chances of finding any survivors
  • One person is dead, with 99 others linked to the building still missing
  • Bruce Masia, a local building manager, said the roof renovation will be looked at
  • He asked whether it put any additional weight on the building that it couldn't withstand

In this picture I previously posted, it shows the ground level has sunk about five or six feet. All of those white columns used to be underground in the parking garage below, and they now protrude through the ground level deck. The rebar has literally been ripped out of the ground level deck; you can see it hanging from column 72 on the left.

im-359467
Sink holes crossed my mind
Same here. Unstable ground, with the building already noted to have been slowly sinking.
Florida is known for this problem with porous limestone and underground water issues.

Seen a couple of encouraging stories....like how a guy walking his dog nearby heard a cry for help and got the attention of rescuers who saved the person.....hopefully there are more of these stories...

As for causes......my guess would be that it's a sediment problem....since there are claims it has been sinking since the 90's.....I heard the land the condos were built on was reclaimed marsh.....

“When we measure subsidence or when we see movement of the buildings, it’s worth checking why it happens,” Wdowinski said. “We cannot say what is the reason for that from the satellite images but we can say there was movement here.”

I guess the reason I see some folks bringing up libertarianism is because libertarians don't believe in federal or state building codes....they believe the "free market" will ultimately do the right thing......and if they don't -- and you die, your relatives can sue.....but since lots of libertarians don't believe in a monopoly of force to enforce building codes; I don't see how they think any civil court decisions would be enforced either...
That is a total fucking lie. Everyone believes in strong building codes.

Just look at these heroes risking their lives in an attempt to save complete strangers who may be trapped.

They are getting ready to attempt to drill through the roof of the parking garage, while standing in water...

Collapsed Miami beach condo tower hadn't been certified since 1981 when it was built and has been 'sinking into the ground since the NINETIES'​

• Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Florida, was built in 1981 and hasn't been recertified since then
  • Shimon Wdowinski, a professor in the Department of Earth and Environment at Florida International University, did a study on the building last year
  • Miami Dade Building Code states buildings only have to be certified every 40 years
  • The Champlain Towers South Association hired an engineer to review structural and electrical updates ahead of its first certification
  • It was also in the process of re-roofing when the building partially collapsed on Thursday
  • There are now fears the rest of it will collapse soon, further reducing the chances of finding any survivors
  • Bruce Masia, a local building manager, said the roof renovation will be looked at
  • He asked whether it put any additional weight on the building that it couldn't withstand

In this picture I previously posted, it shows the ground level has sunk about five or six feet. All of those white columns used to be underground in the parking garage below, and they now protrude through the ground level deck. The rebar has literally been ripped out of the ground level deck; you can see it hanging from column 72 on the left.

im-359467
Same here. Unstable ground, with the building already noted to have been slowly sinking.
Florida is known for this problem with porous limestone and underground water issues.

oh yea??

Well who enforces these building codes??

Surely not the government...

libertarians also believe in Tort laws that limit individuals rights to sue and for how much. They also believe in protecting private companies from lawsuits.

im-359467

oh yea??

From the article.
In a libertarian society everyone connected with construction, including people who buy, sell and live in buildings, will enforce the standards in their own self-interests.

Contractors who knowingly build shoddy structures that fall down and kill people will be sued into bankruptcy and, since there will be no shield law treating a corporation as a "fictional person" for contractors to hide behind they'll face the prospect of personal bankruptcy and prison time.

Self-interest.

Structural and electrical and plumbing and every other kind of inspector will be held accountable since they will be required by the building and insurance and lending industries to certify that standards have been met.

Self-interest.

Libertarians don't want shoddy construction and the erosion of building codes.

im-359467

oh yea??

From the article.
In a libertarian society everyone connected with construction, including people who buy, sell and live in buildings, will enforce the standards in their own self-interests.

Contractors who knowingly build shoddy structures that fall down and kill people will be sued into bankruptcy and, since there will be no shield law treating a corporation as a "fictional person" for contractors to hide behind they'll face the prospect of personal bankruptcy and prison time.

Self-interest.

Structural and electrical and plumbing and every other kind of inspector will be held accountable since they will be required by the building and insurance and lending industries to certify that standards have been met.

Self-interest.

Who enforces building codes??

It's a simple question......

The libertarian argument as I said earlier is libertarians believe "the free market" will fix the problem....even tho there is no such thing as "the free market"....and yall also believe that no builders would cut corners or do shoddy work because of "self interests" -- reality says otherwise

so.....in your fantasy world of no monopolization of force.....when someone sues for shoddy construction.....who enforces that court decision?

I'll wait

im-359467

oh yea??

From the article.

Self-interest.

Self-interest.

The libertarian argument as I said earlier is libertarians believe "the free market" will fix the problem....even tho there is no such thing as "the free market"....and yall also believe that no builders would cut corners or do shoddy work because of "self interests" -- reality says otherwise

so.....in your fantasy world of no monopolization of force.....when someone sues for shoddy construction.....who enforces that court decision?

I'll wait
You just moved the goalposts. You said "libertarians don't believe in federal or state building codes. Now you say who will enforce building codes.

Hey, look at this. Consider this speculative at this point, but I am working on it.

Next to the building that collapsed, Champlain Towers South, there used to be a sister building, Champlain Towers East, located at 8855 Collins Ave, Surfside...

View attachment 505391

It appears to have been demolished, even though it is newer, having been built in 1994...

44617687-9720381-image-a-2_1624592742810.jpg

It has been replaced with a newer building...

View attachment 505392

I wonder why the Towers East building was demolished?
Jim do you have a link that Towers East was demolished?

im-359467

oh yea??

From the article.

Self-interest.

Self-interest.

I'll wait
You just moved the goalposts. You said "libertarians don't believe in federal or state building codes. Now you say who will enforce building codes.
Libertarians don't believe in the monolopy of force you moron...

So without the monopoly of force..how do you enforce building codes? You can't

You think people are just supposed to sue after their family dies in a fucked up building collapse...

So....when that family sues....who will enforce the settlement?

There is a reason you can't answer that question.....

it is the same reason there are over 90281727 different kinds of liberatians...because a new strain of libertarian is invented everytime their fantasy ideology gets challenged by reality...

Hey, look at this. Consider this speculative at this point, but I am working on it.

Next to the building that collapsed, Champlain Towers South, there used to be a sister building, Champlain Towers East, located at 8855 Collins Ave, Surfside...

View attachment 505391

It appears to have been demolished, even though it is newer, having been built in 1994...

44617687-9720381-image-a-2_1624592742810.jpg

It has been replaced with a newer building...

View attachment 505392

I wonder why the Towers East building was demolished?
Jim do you have a link that Towers East was demolished?
The picture above shows it completely demolished (the picture where the collapsed portion of Champlain Towers South is colored red).

The picture appears to have come from Google Earth, but it can be found here:

[edit]
I appear to have made an address typo and drawn some incorrect conclusions.

The adjacent building was demolished, but it was not Champlain Towers East.

I deleted my erroneous post you replied to.

What may be important is there are two more buildings like the one that collapsed.

Thanks.

Last edited:

im-359467

oh yea??

From the article.

Self-interest.

Self-interest.

I'll wait

You think people are just supposed to sue after their family dies in a fucked up building collapse...

it is the same reason there are over 90281727 different kinds of liberatians...because a new strain of libertarian is invented everytime their fantasy ideology gets challenged by reality...
I am not a libertarian when it comes to building codes issues. Go find a libertarian message forum to argue with people. You said libertarians don't believe in building codes. They do believe in codes and those codes should from within the industry and would likely surpass government codes. You can probably find a national association of barber shops who thinks they can write professional codes for their industry better than government.

im-359467

oh yea??

From the article.

Self-interest.

Self-interest.

I'll wait

I am not a libertarian when it comes to building codes issues. Go find a libertarian message forum to argue with people. You said libertarians don't believe in building codes. They do believe in codes and those codes should from within the industry and would likely surpass government codes. You can probably find a national association of barber shops who thinks they can write professional codes for their industry better than government.
You spent the last 6 or 7 comments defending "Libertarianism" and speaking for "libertarians" only to say "I'm not a libertarian" when I ask you a simple question??

im-359467

oh yea??

From the article.

Self-interest.

Self-interest.

I'll wait

Bullshit, name me one industry association that has standards higher than building codes. Also, under libertarian standards the owner of the condo building would simply require any tenants to assume his liability by having them sign such document to live there. So if the building collapses, they should have known better than to rent from him.

im-359467

oh yea??

From the article.

Self-interest.

Self-interest.

I'll wait

Bullshit, name me one industry association that has standards higher than building codes. Also, under libertarian standards the owner of the condo building would simply require any tenants to assume his liability by having them sign such document to live there. So if the building collapses, they should have known better than to rent from him.
LOL every time I will own you.

The U.S. Green Building Council is committed to a sustainable, prosperous future through LEED, the leading program for green buildings and communities worldwide. Our vision is that buildings and communities will regenerate and sustain the health and vitality of all life within a generation. Our mission is to transform the way buildings and communities are designed, built, and operated, enabling an environmentally and socially responsible, healthy, and prosperous environment that improves the quality of life.
They created LEED, leadership in Energy and Environmental Design it goes way beyond standard government building codes.

Forum List

Back