A man who used to be a psychotic atheist explains how God changed his life.

RWNJ

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2015
This is an amazing story about the power of God to change lives. It's a bit long, but's it's anything but boring. Please check it out when you find a half hour to spare.

A man who used to be a psychotic atheist explains how God changed his life

So what? Absent demonstrable evidence that a panel of psychiatrists having attested to his psychopathy having been cured, I don't see any sound reason to even listen to what such an individual has to say, much less propagate what they have said. "Psychotic atheist" or "psychotic theist." They're both psychotic. None of us needs input from either of them.

• Banned
I am sure that God never shown himself to this guy..What changed him was the "hope" that he wasn't going to fade into nothing.

Which frankly is powerful but it doesn't make it anymore true.
I am sure that God never shown himself to this guy..

Why?

because YOU havent' seen him?

So what? Absent demonstrable evidence that a panel of psychiatrists having attested to his psychopathy having been cured, I don't see any sound reason to even listen to what such an individual has to say, much less propagate what they have said. "Psychotic atheist" or "psychotic theist." They're both psychotic. None of us needs input from either of them.
He's been in prison, not to mention several mental institutions. He's out now. If he was still psychotic, he'd still be incarcerated. That says a lot. Doesn't it? His life has been changed for the better, and he gives God the credit. That's all that matters. Doctors couldn't help him. Psychiatrists couldn't help him. Only God could help Him. I rest my case.

Is there anything more fucked up than the human mind?
I can't think of anything. Which begs the question. Who but God could have helped someone like this guy? I mean, he tried to kill his own father. Considering how messed up this guy was, it can only be a miracle that saved him. The miracle of Salvation through Christ.

I am sure that God never shown himself to this guy..What changed him was the "hope" that he wasn't going to fade into nothing.

Why?

He's been in prison, not to mention several mental institutions. He's out now. If he was still psychotic, he'd still be incarcerated. That says a lot. Doesn't it? His life has been changed for the better, and he gives God the credit. That's all that matters. Doctors couldn't help him. Psychiatrists couldn't help him. Only God could help Him. I rest my case.
He's been in prison, not to mention several mental institutions. He's out now. If he was still psychotic, he'd still be incarcerated. That says a lot. Doesn't it?

Not necessarily at all. For instance, whether his release suggests his psychosis has been cured partly depends on whether his sentence was suspended to effect his early release, as contrasted with his being released in accordance with standard parole procedures, or released simply because the tenure of his sentence had passed. Another thing it depends on is his ability and predilection to be and not be a recidivist, which, with regard to his psychopathy, he can only be if psychiatrists/psychologists have declared he's overcome his psychopathy. If you have evidence of their having done so, by all means, share it. That's all you really need do in order to elevate the man's remarks to a status of being potentially worth considering.

There is also the matter that while psychotic individuals who are also incarcerated can be placed under psychiatric supervision and given treatment (that doesn't mean the "patient" responds positively to the treatment given), psychotic individuals who are not imprisoned, and/or whose prison sentence has expired, cannot unless there's strong evidence their psychosis makes them a physical threat to other's well being. Consequently, it's very possible the man's psychosis(-es) remain unabated.

In light of the above and as I noted before, "absent demonstrable evidence [of] a panel of psychiatrists having attested to his psychopathy having been cured, I don't see any sound reason to even listen to what [that man] has to say, much less propagate what [says]."

This is an amazing story about the power of God to change lives. It's a bit long, but's it's anything but boring. Please check it out when you find a half hour to spare.

So we are to accept the decision of someone who made poor decisions his entire life??? :cuckoo:

A man who used to be a psychotic atheist explains how God changed his life.
He used to think he was smarter than everyone he argued with as an Atheist, and now he thinks he is smarter than everyone he argues with as a Christian, so what's the difference?
I see no change, he still thinks he is smarter than everyone he argues with.

Why?

He's been in prison, not to mention several mental institutions. He's out now. If he was still psychotic, he'd still be incarcerated. That says a lot. Doesn't it?

Not necessarily at all. For instance, whether his release suggests his psychosis has been cured partly depends on whether his sentence was suspended to effect his early release, as contrasted with his being released in accordance with standard parole procedures, or released simply because the tenure of his sentence had passed. Another thing it depends on is his ability and predilection to be and not be a recidivist, which, with regard to his psychopathy, he can only be if psychiatrists/psychologists have declared he's overcome his psychopathy. If you have evidence of their having done so, by all means, share it. That's all you really need do in order to elevate the man's remarks to a status of being potentially worth considering.

There is also the matter that while psychotic individuals who are also incarcerated can be placed under psychiatric supervision and given treatment (that doesn't mean the "patient" responds positively to the treatment given), psychotic individuals who are not imprisoned, and/or whose prison sentence has expired, cannot unless there's strong evidence their psychosis makes them a physical threat to other's well being. Consequently, it's very possible the man's psychosis(-es) remain unabated.

In light of the above and as I noted before, "absent demonstrable evidence [of] a panel of psychiatrists having attested to his psychopathy having been cured, I don't see any sound reason to even listen to what [that man] has to say, much less propagate what [says]."
Are you blind? Just listen to what he says. He doesn't sound like a psychopath. And why would a psychopath go to the trouble of creating this video in order to give others hope?

There is also this...

David Wood is an American evangelical missionary, Christian apologist and polemicist. He is currently head of the Acts 17 Apologetics Ministry. He is a member of the Society of Christian Philosophers and the Evangelical Philosophical Society. Wikipedia

Born: April 7, 1976 (age 41)
Nationality: American
Spouse: Marie Wood
Children: 4
Residence: The Bronx, New York City, NY
Education: Doctor of Philosophy, Fordham University

Married with four children. member of society of Christian philosophers. College degree. I'd say his change is genuine. Wouldn't you?

Why?

Are you blind? Just listen to what he says. He doesn't sound like a psychopath. And why would a psychopath go to the trouble of creating this video in order to give others hope?

There is also this...

David Wood is an American evangelical missionary, Christian apologist and polemicist. He is currently head of the Acts 17 Apologetics Ministry. He is a member of the Society of Christian Philosophers and the Evangelical Philosophical Society. Wikipedia

Married with four children. member of society of Christian philosophers. College degree. I'd say his change is genuine. Wouldn't you?
Just listen to what he says. He doesn't sound like a psychopath.

Whether he does or doesn't depends on the nature of psychopathy(-ies) you have in mind.

why would a psychopath go to the trouble of creating this video in order to give others hope?

That is a question better directed at the specific psychopath who makes any given set of remarks. There's likely no limit to the reasons why people say and do the things they do. Some of those reasons can be soundly inferred and others cannot.

Why?

There is also this...

Just listen to what he says. He doesn't sound like a psychopath.

Whether he does or doesn't depends on the nature of psychopathy(-ies) you have in mind.

why would a psychopath go to the trouble of creating this video in order to give others hope?

That is a question better directed at the specific psychopath who makes any given set of remarks. There's likely no limit to the reasons why people say and do the things they do. Some of those reasons can be soundly inferred and others cannot.
Wood was diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder (sociopathy) and was sentenced to ten years in prison for malicious wounding. While in prison, he was confronted with a fellow prisoner named Randy[8] who was a devout Christian. Wood often challenged Randy's Christian beliefs, initially claiming that Randy was only a Christian because he was born into a primarily Christian society, specifically the United States.[7] Wood began to read the Bible in order to respond to Randy's rebuttals but it eventually led Wood to convert to Christianity in 1996 himself, and to eventually reconcile with his father.[8]

After five years between jail and prison,[7] he was released in 2000 and went to college earning a degree in philosophy.[9][10][11] While in college, he was challenged to convert to Islam by his roommate, Nabeel Qureshi, an Ahmadiyya Muslim, and went about investigating the life of Mohammed using the earliest sources, including Ibn Ishaq's epic the "Life of Muhammad" (the earliest biography of Muhammad); the hadith collections of Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim (considered by Sunni Muslims to be the two most reliable or sahih collections of Muhammad's statements, actions, and example); and the History of the Prophets and Kings by Al-Tabari (one of Islam's greatest historians).[9] Concluding that the Quran and Mohammed's example did not simply describe violence in the past (as in the Christian Bible per his assertion), but rather commanded ongoing violence, he took up the mantle as a Christian apologist.[9] His roommate Nabeel eventually went on to become a Christian apologist as well.[1] Wood would later earn a Ph.D. in the philosophy of religion at Fordham University.[2]

Why?

There is also this...

That the man is a member of the two noted organizations carries about as much weight as does being a member of grocery store shopping program.
David Wood...is a member of the Society of Christian Philosophers
"The Society is open to anyone interested in philosophy who considers himself or herself a Christian." (Source)
David Wood is [a member of the] Evangelical Philosophical Society
To be a member of the Evangelical Philosophical Society (EPS), one must agree to the following doctrinal affirmation:
The Bible alone, and the Bible in its entirety, is the Word of God written and therefore inerrant in the original manuscripts. God is a Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, each an uncreated person, one in essence, equal in power and glory.

Hell, being an American Express member more reliably indicates something about an individual than does belonging to either of the two noted organizations. As far as I can recall just now, about the only credentials that give one merit as a philosopher or theologian are doctoral degrees in philosophy, religious studies, and/or divinity.

To that end, your citing that he has a PhD in philosophy is appropriate, credible and addresses the fact that he's got the potential for substantive and meritorious thought; however, it says nothing about the core issue which that the man, by your assertion, was at one point acknowledges as being psychotic and you've yet to show that his status as such has changed. You see, a person can be simultaneously very smart, well educated and psychotic. Among individuals who are all of those things, one must obtain evidence that from their mind the psychosis has passed and all that remains is the keen intellect and abundant knowledge.

At the risk of seeming as though I'm aspersing you -- I'm not; I'm merely illustrating a point -- I'll note that I don't even know, for example, that you're not psychotic in roughly the same way David Wood was determined to be. Insofar as you might be, and if indeed you are, it's unsurprising that you'd cotton to his musings. You described the man having been psychotic, and I've merely taken your word for it that he was indeed thus diagnosed. I'm merely asking you to provide demonstrative, not circumstantial, evidence from the folks/organization that declared him psychotic that he's no longer psychotic, or at least that he wasn't when he produced/filmed the video you've referenced. Remember too that you wrote that he "used to be a psychotic," so it's not at all unreasonable that I ask you for demonstrative evidence that he is no longer so, i.e., that the "used to be" part of your assertion is indeed true.

FWIW, I began to watch the man's video. The first thing that came to mind is "why did he paraphrase Plato? Is the 'Allegory of the Cave' (Republic) so unfamiliar that he couldn't just cite it and move on?"

TheCave02.jpg

Does the "Allegory of the Cave" have anything to do with his central theme? Perhaps not, but insofar as he opens his video essay that way, it could very well have a lot to do with it. I haven't gotten far enough through the video that I can say just why he opens by referring to the "Allegory of the Cave."

Okay....so I have watched the first fifth of Wood's abridged biography. I had to stop when he mentioned that the thought that came to his mind after he with a ball-peen hammer beat his father's head to a pulp was (may still be; I'd have to recheck his verb tense to be sure) his amazement at how rapidly blood flows from someone's head.

Forum List

Back