A Ford Explorer water pump can cost you thousands.

Buy a lottery ticket because you are just lucky!
A lot of Ford owners aren't feeling so lucky..exactly why there is a lawsuit.

Some have had to replace the entire engine.
William Cook, owner of Cook's Car Care, says as a result -- a simple coolant leak can seriously damage the engine since you may not know about the leak until it has gummed up the engine's internal components.

"So when they fail you don't get any warning until you overheat," Cook said. At that point, he says, your engine has been harmed, and can require a rebuild or even replacement.

Cook pulled the Flex's dipstick.

"Instead of being a nice clean oil, it looks like a chocolate milkshake. It's a mixture of water and oil, and that's bad," he said.

Last time I had a pump failure, it left a few drops on the floor and I easily replaced it for a hundred bucks.

It sure as hell didn't leak into the engine with like the Superior interior pump and cost me only a little time.

Superior design, pffft.

A lot of Ford owners aren't feeling so lucky..exactly why there is a lawsuit.

Some have had to replace the entire engine.
William Cook, owner of Cook's Car Care, says as a result -- a simple coolant leak can seriously damage the engine since you may not know about the leak until it has gummed up the engine's internal components.

"So when they fail you don't get any warning until you overheat," Cook said. At that point, he says, your engine has been harmed, and can require a rebuild or even replacement.

Cook pulled the Flex's dipstick.

"Instead of being a nice clean oil, it looks like a chocolate milkshake. It's a mixture of water and oil, and that's bad," he said.

Last time I had a pump failure, it left a few drops on the floor and I easily replaced it for a hundred bucks.

It sure as hell didn't leak into the engine with like the Superior interior pump and cost me only a little time.

Superior design, pffft.
How many people have NOT had to replace the water pump in these vehicles? I have driven 3 Explorers in the past 17 years. No problems with any of their water pumps.

How many people have NOT had to replace the water pump in these vehicles? I have driven 3 Explorers in the past 17 years. No problems with any of their water pumps.
Then you should buy the lottery ticket.
The internal pump is the exact same design as an external, the only difference being mounted inside the engine and a sprocket for a chain drive instead of a belt.
Except when the internal fails there is no warning until the vehicle overheats and lets coolant into the engine while the external leaves a puddle on the garage floor.
Stupid design and you will never convince me otherwise.

Sorry if that offends your particular favorite brand.

Last edited:
I haven't owned a Ford in decades.

1661252474870.png

~S~

The Ford Explorer 2011 models found some engines were stalling while in the process of crossing intersections. When the pump fails, the engine automatically shuts down with no warning.

If this issue goes unrepaired, an accident may occur while leaving a vehicle stalled out in a busy intersection. Engine damage is imminent.

Ford fixed the owner manuals to have the water pump checked after so many miles. After these issues occurred to many, Ford stopped building them with the pumps internally . There were no recalls, but class-action lawsuits made them fix the problem.

Huh.
Seems Ford got smart and gave up on the "superior" design.

Kind of off-topic, but not entirely, is that people really don't maintain their engine coolant system like they should. That contributes to a lot of problems.

I popped caps of radiators before and that stuff was brown.

One really has to research problems on particular newer vehicles before buying.

My future father in law turned me on to a good resource that is an excellent starting point for buying a vehicle. Consumer Reports. They have an annual issue (he saves them because of the information) that goes over a whole slew of different makes and models of vehicles, and the problems associated with each. He told me that the reason he bought his Kia was because Consumer Reports said good things about that year of vehicle, and also helped him avoid other years of the same model, as the previous years had a few problems he didn't want to deal with. It's also one of the reasons that I bought my Honda, as it gave me good information to start my research with, which is one of the places I found out about the timing belt/timing chain change. Timing belts aren't that great for cars, as they tend to break at the worst times leaving you stranded. At least a timing chain will give you enough warning to have it adjusted/replaced before it fails..

I buy older autos and rebuild them, I started at twenty years old doing Triumph Spitfires.
British cars weren’t known for durability or reliability, but some were beautiful. I particularly liked the TR6.

Forum List

Back