Ruger Mark 2 22 LR

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
My son came down and went and shot some guns and when we got home I offered to clean them. While I was doing he brought the MK 2 in and asked me to clean it, although we didn't shoot it. I gave him this gun around 10 years ago or maybe longer. I checked action and was but looking inside it was NASTY. It had green scum growing in! I asked him what happened and he didn't know so I field stripped it. As I said I used to have that gun and stripped it many times but after two hours I can't get to go back together so that it functions. I looked at videos and all that and did it just like they said but no go. It worked before. What it does is what they all do when you don't put the the main spring assy in right is that the slide won't go back all the way. Anybody got any ideas?

You are likely not lining-up the hammer strut properly.

Oh, and that "green stuff" was just powder/wax residue from shooting bulk coated ammo.....Really all you had to do was just use a brush to get it out, clean the bolt-face and you would have been GTG.

LOL.....I always said they came out with the MK IV for the mechanically disadvantaged. ;)

My dad had a Ruger Standard that I don't think he had ever cleaned.....The residue came out in chunks when i cleaned it after he passed.....It went bang all the time though.

Last edited:
  • Banned
You are likely not lining-up the hammer strut properly.

Oh, and that "green stuff" was just powder/wax residue from coated ammo.....Really all you had to do was just use a brush to get it out, clean the bolt-face and you would have been GTG.

LOL.....I always said they came out with the MK IV for the mechanically disadvantaged. ;)

That how I did it, 10 times or more. Ima jack with it tomorrow and see if maybe a new day will fix it.

That how I did it, 10 times or more. Ima jack with it tomorrow and see if maybe a new day will fix it.
Pay attention to the hammer strut position and make sure your upper is all the way back on the lower.

That vid is the best one I've seen and the one I always recommend going by.

LOL.....I must resist telling you to let your wife put it together. ;)

• Banned
Pay attention to the hammer strut position and make sure your upper is all the way back on the lower.

That vid is the best one I've seen and the one I always recommend going by.

LOL.....I must resist telling you to let your wife put it together. ;)
I know, that how I did it, all can figure is that it must be moving somehow.

• Banned
I messed with it a little while longer and it's put back together right. you can rack the slide all the way back but the trigger won't fire and then you can't move the slide at all. I don't know what's wrong with it.

I messed with it a little while longer and it's put back together right. you can rack the slide all the way back but the trigger won't fire and then you can't move the slide at all. I don't know what's wrong with it.
Is there anyone in your house that can look at the video and take a crack at it? If not you will have to do the walk of shame to a gunsmith. ;)

• Banned
Is there anyone in your house that can look at the video and take a crack at it? If not you will have to do the walk of shame to a gunsmith. ;)
No, of all the idiots that live here I'm the smartest. This thing makes no sense though. I field stripped it and it's put back correctly. I told him he could leave it here and take my 22 but he said he'll take the Ruger and let a gun smith look at it.

No walk of shame there. Even gunsmiths can have problems with old Rugers.

Make fun of it, but I've had a Mark 2. Loved it but would never ever buy another one. Mark 4, definitely might.

The easiest one I had was a Beretta Neo. It literally had a wheel you turned and the top came off. Nice. S&W Victory has a similar concept, except you use an Allen wrench.

Well I looked at it again and finally noticed a little spring on the pin the hammer pivots on was just flopping around free. That isn't right but I never messed with it. I never took the hammer out of the lower part. I took the long end of the spring and pushed it down and behind a pin running across the frame and this wound the spring tight. It had to go there. I put it all back together and it works! No idea how that spring became released from tension.

Well I looked at it again and finally noticed a little spring on the pin the hammer pivots on was just flopping around free. That isn't right but I never messed with it. I never took the hammer out of the lower part. I took the long end of the spring and pushed it down and behind a pin running across the frame and this wound the spring tight. It had to go there. I put it all back together and it works! No idea how that spring became released from tension.
Well done! :)

No, of all the idiots that live here I'm the smartest. This thing makes no sense though. I field stripped it and it's put back correctly. I told him he could leave it here and take my 22 but he said he'll take the Ruger and let a gun smith look at it.
I have not has as bad a issues with MK1 and 2. Little things like hold it grip up, pull trigger are necessary. My MK3 is weirder. Mag installed is the key, sorta.

Forum List

Back