6-44 Inland M1 Carbine

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I ran up on another M1 Carbine today. This one is a Inland Division of General Motors example made in June of 1944 that came out of Korea back in the 80s when they surplused them off.

c 001 (2).JPG

The metal was nice (Korean parked) but the stock was a terrible beat-up "pot belly" birch affair (it did have a good 4-rivit Inland marked walnut hand guard) so I stuck it in a WW-2 era Inland stock set I had squirreled away. Turned out OK.

Though they have a pedigree (US and Korean used) there's really no great collector interest in the Korean returns as they are all import marked (EXCEL, Gardner MA on my example) but if they are sound with good bores they make great shooters.

I ran up on another M1 Carbine today. This one is a Inland Division of General Motors example made in June of 1944 that came out of Korea back in the 80s when they surplused them off.

View attachment 755445

The metal was nice (Korean parked) but the stock was a terrible beat-up "pot belly" birch affair (it did have a good 4-rivit Inland marked walnut hand guard) so I stuck it in a WW-2 era Inland stock set I had squirreled away. Turned out OK.

Though they have a pedigree (US and Korean used) there's really no great collector interest in the Korean returns as they are all import marked (EXCEL, Gardner MA on my example) but if they are sound with good bores they make great shooters.
I have an M1 Carbine, but mine was made commercially in the early 60s by Plainfield Machine. It is in great condition and I am told it is one of the better commercially made remakes. I like to shoot it now and again, but 30 cal. carbine ammo is a bit spendy and sometimes hard to find.

I have an M1 Carbine, but mine was made commercially in the early 60s by Plainfield Machine. It is in great condition and I am told it is one of the better commercially made remakes. I like to shoot it now and again, but 30 cal. carbine ammo is a bit spendy and sometimes hard to find.

I local guy passed away some years back and his wife gave me first shot at his ammo....In it were several wooden cases of GI .30 Carbine in 600 rd spam cans.....Two cans (1200 rds) per case....I bought it all. ;)

BTW....Plainfield was a pretty good commercial manufacturer.....The early ones used a lot of GI parts and even when they started making their own (cast steel) they held generally true to the GI Carbine, unlike Universal that made use of stampings.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back