59 Years Ago Today: Woolworth Sit-in Jackson, Mississippi

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Over on the race relations board today, the same core group of members are arguing, being insulting, and lying about the state of race relations in the U.S. today while simultaneously being unable to acknowledge any of the endless list of documented historical events, some often tragic that have paved the way for where we are today.

I personally prefer reading to watching videos and don't often include photos in my threads but felt this one should lead with this famous and iconic photo from 1963 which occurred during my lifetime. I found the interview with Ms Joan Trumpauer Mulholland fascinating:
1653789766675.png
Activist Joan Trumpauer Mulholland recalls sit-in protest decades later​
By Tori B. Powell​

May 28, 2022 / 1:53 PM / CBS News​

Despite the hardships she faced stemming from her commitment to social justice work throughout the height of the civil rights movement, activist Joan Trumpauer Mulholland, 80, says she wasn't afraid.​
Fifty-nine years ago, Mulholland, who is white, was one of those photographed staging a sit-in to protest segregation in the south, an act in which she said was inspired by a higher power.​
"I was just doing what the spirit said to do," Mulholland told CBS News' Elise Preston. "I knew when I had a chance to do something to make things fair, I would do it and that came with the sit-ins."​
Throughout the civil rights movement, activists across the country staged sit-ins as non-violent protests attempting to integrate communities separated by Jim Crow Laws. The iconic photographs taken in Jackson, Mississippi at a Woolworth's lunch counter on May 28, 1963 showed the violence that protestors endured for sitting in the then-segregated space.​

Last edited:
So, then what happened? We have "democrat" oligarchs that sanction months of race riots and sanction the legacy media bullshit. George Floyd overdose of fentanyl, racism. Maga hat Kid Nick Sandman wasn't taunted by black supremacists, then a Indian guy tried to capitalize on MAGA kid smiling? But then TA-DAHA! Russian collusion, no facts no evidence just because they say so.

Over on the race relations board today, the same core group of members are arguing, being insulting, and lying about the state of race relations in the U.S. today while simultaneously being unable to acknowledge any of the endless list of documented historical events, some often tragic that have paved the way for where we are today.

I personally prefer reading to watching videos and don't often include photos in my threads but felt this one should lead with this famous and iconic photo from 1963 which occurred during my lifetime. I found the interview with Ms Joan Trumpauer Mulholland fascinating:
Activist Joan Trumpauer Mulholland recalls sit-in protest decades later​
By Tori B. Powell​

May 28, 2022 / 1:53 PM / CBS News​

Despite the hardships she faced stemming from her commitment to social justice work throughout the height of the civil rights movement, activist Joan Trumpauer Mulholland, 80, says she wasn't afraid.​
Fifty-nine years ago, Mulholland, who is white, was one of those photographed staging a sit-in to protest segregation in the south, an act in which she said was inspired by a higher power.​
"I was just doing what the spirit said to do," Mulholland told CBS News' Elise Preston. "I knew when I had a chance to do something to make things fair, I would do it and that came with the sit-ins."​
Throughout the civil rights movement, activists across the country staged sit-ins as non-violent protests attempting to integrate communities separated by Jim Crow Laws. The iconic photographs taken in Jackson, Mississippi at a Woolworth's lunch counter on May 28, 1963 showed the violence that protestors endured for sitting in the then-segregated space.​
As I have repeatedly stated, there is NO DOUBT systemic racism existed in the US 60 years ago. I saw it as a child in Montgomery Alabama. I know what it looks like, it's ugly and it's wrong. Thank goodness systemic racism no longer exists in the US. What does exist is racist INDIVIDUALS of every skin color. Fortunately they do not make up the majority of the country.

As I have repeatedly stated, there is NO DOUBT systemic racism existed in the US 60 years ago. I saw it as a child in Montgomery Alabama. I know what it looks like, it's ugly and it's wrong. Thank goodness systemic racism no longer exists in the US. What does exist is racist INDIVIDUALS of every skin color. Fortunately they do not make up the majority of the country.
True. In the 50'/60's: At that time we never had this level of rancor and animosity we have NOW. What is causing this, I don't know. Diversity and inclusion is like putting a band aid on a ghost, its empty posturing.

True. In the 50'/60's: At that time we never had this level of rancor and animosity we have NOW. What is causing this, I don't know. Diversity and inclusion is like putting a band aid on a ghost, its empty posturing.
Agreed. I believe we can trace the surge of division and hostility in our country beginning somewhere around January 20th 2009.

Are you familiar with the term "remanence"?

Data remanence is the residual representation of digital data that remains even after attempts have been made to remove or erase the data.​
I honestly do not understand why it is so critical to you all to believe that racism was eradicated at some point by the simple passage of a law.

Murder is also not lawful but people get murdered every single day yet you all seem to believe that laws prevent crime and/or modify behavior.

I honestly do not understand why it is so critical to you all to believe that racism was eradicated at some point by the simple passage of a law.
Do you understand that what you expect of others is not something you can FORCE them into? You are assuming that by constantly instigating anger and listing demands that you will somehow coerce people to approve of you or your worldview? That's what it seems like to me. Finding a way to cause all whites to accept ALL blacks, regardless of their lifestyles or behaviors is a fool's game. It will never happen.

I also grew up in a truly racially divided state. Mobile, Alabama in the 1960s was exactly like Jackson. I lived in Jackson for nearly 10 years and I can assure you that those days are LONG GONE. If anything, whites are treated as second-class citizens there. The difference is that we didn't worry about it because we knew our own worth and the nasty remarks and hateful opinions of strangers did nothing to harm us. Pushing these narratives as with BLM will do nothing to advance better relations, but then, that isn't really their goal, is it? No, at this point, the goal is to build political power in the furtherance of a kind of racial "revenge" against those whose past sins cannot be forgotten. All you'll ever accomplish is to make things worse and worse. So be it...

Are you familiar with the term "remanence"?

Data remanence is the residual representation of digital data that remains even after attempts have been made to remove or erase the data.​

Murder is also not lawful but people get murdered every single day yet you all seem to believe that laws prevent crime and/or modify behavior.
I will give you the same challenge I always give IM2. Produce ONE POST where I stated 'racism' was eradicated by the passage of a law. I have been extremely clear stating that SYSTEMIC RACISM ended decades ago. I have also been extremely clear in stating that INDIVIDUAL RACISM persists today. You are not being clear, are talking about SYSTEMIC RACISM or INDIVIDUAL RACISM? I do respect the fact that you are at least trying to discuss the subject.

Forum List

Back