401K folks: What percentage are you up/down?

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
There are some astute investors out there who have managed to stay in the black during the aftershocks of the pandemic, but most folks, including myself, remain in the red. However, I am only down 0.43% for the year, as of today. Knowing that most bear markets begin to run their course after 18 months (allegedly), I'm feeling pretty good about 2023. As long as I stay where I'm presently at in this market, I'm good.

What percentage are you up, or down?

There are some astute investors out there who have managed to stay in the black during the aftershocks of the pandemic, but most folks, including myself, remain in the red. However, I am only down 0.43% for the year, as of today. Knowing that most bear markets begin to run their course after 18 months (allegedly), I'm feeling pretty good about 2023. As long as I stay where I'm presently at in this market, I'm good.

Hang in there, it won't be too much longer before you lose it all.

Much better than I was six months ago
Most of my money is in S&P 500 index funds and it is down around 9.5 percent for the year

With a strong December, most of it should recover

Most of my money is in S&P 500 index funds and it is down around 9.5 percent for the year

The Inflation Reduction Act has had a positive effect on some of my stocks, which are green energy holdings, and many of my other blue chip stocks I luckily sold before the start of the so-called recession (lucky timing, as I'm retiring soon, no particular economic foresight)

However, 20% of my portfolio is in a blue chip corporation that has rebounded recently to pre-inflation pricing.

If I were you I would sink your money all into Tesla and Elon Musk

I hear from your lord and savior Joe Biden that EV's are the future.

Go ahead
Let me know how it turns out

I emptied my 401k and bought rental property... I sold a home and bought more rental property... I have a very astute adviser... my brother in Law.....

Or you could buy some AeroVironment Stock ... They make Switchblade suicide drones.
The drones they produce currently are mostly bought by the US Government and used by the Ukrainians at an alarming rate.

AeroVironment stock is up 105.14% in the past 5 years.

I don't track from the beginning of the year. From its highest point I'm down about 10%. Not enough to fret about. My hope is to have enough so that I can live comfortably until I die or reach full senility (at which point I won't care). So far, no question about it.

I use a highly-recommended financial team, but when I take off the rose-colored glasses, I would be doing just as well with an index fund.

I increased My contribution to My 401k in Feb of 2022. I figure that the floor is going to be in February of 2023. So, while it may not be the perfect dip, I have been getting more and more stocks at discounts.

When the market steadies out and starts the strong rebound that it has always done, I stand to profit to the tune of about the 12% is has declined, plus the rebound of 12%.

I did pull 7k out as I had some serious auto and home repairs that needed doing, but I'll recoup that easily.

I'm down 15%. Still my 401K has grown $17K. That means I'm buying low right now my friend. When it comes back, boy is my 401K going to skyrocket.

The secret is move your shit to something safe 3 years before you retire. Then you don't have to worry about a volatile market. Right now keep buying while things are cheap.

Thankfully I don’t participate in this silliness so I’m neither up nor down. I invest in physical products… weapons, ammunition, food, water, medical supplies and other survival items.

Thankfully I don’t participate in this silliness so I’m neither up nor down. I invest in physical products… weapons, ammunition, food, water, medical supplies and other survival items.
All depreciating assets. Not that it is not smart to have them.

I hope it works out for you, I really do. Sounds like it is.
Scary as hell but the smartest thing I've ever done... I have great tenants who pay on time... now if they can keep their jobs we will be just fine...

Forum List

Back