1995 camry le, value?

Peach

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2009
154,000 miles, condition: good. Family member wants to purchase, I thought since it rated higher than the Mecedes the year it came out, it would be a "classic" soon. Four door, interior also good. I know VERY little about automotives; am tired of the weeks long debate in the family.

Any idea as to value? Kelley's lists $1,250.00

154,000 miles, condition: good. Family member wants to purchase, I thought since it rated higher than the Mecedes the year it came out, it would be a "classic" soon. Four door, interior also good. I know VERY little about automotives; am tired of the weeks long debate in the family.

No. You go by NADA. NADA is what the bank will give you for a loan on your car. Do not use Kelly Blue book. The banks use NADA. NADA is going to give you more - Kelly blue book could have been set up by car dealers. ( doesn't give you what the car is worth )

http://nada.com/

Last edited:
Here is the clean retail on your car, Peach. If it is a 95 Camry LE with 154,000 miles and is a 6 cylinder it is worth 3,500.00 and if it is 4 cylinder the clean retail is $3,075.00. That is NADA price. Go by NADA.

I'm assuming your car has never been wrecked. Use NADA and put your vin number in and they can do a check on that also for you.

That is a great auto even with the miles. If it has been maintained good it has many miles left. I bet you could get $1500 for it easy and i bet that car will break 200k miles easy. The 90s Toyotas really are that good, extremely reliable. Even if a little money has to be put in it it's worth it. Hook your family member up for kbb or be nice and a grand. They are going to love it great first car.

If I owned that car I would drive it into the ground and try to get 300k miles out of it.

I've heard of Camry LE's, early models such as the 95' getting 350,000 miles. This car will go for alot more that $1500.00 in my opinion. I did not put in options, Peach. Go to NADA and add in options and that will bump up the price. Leather seats, sunroof? Bump the price. The XLE is one above the LE. The LE is a very nice car. As it is a family member you may want to give them a better price but I would consider the true value of the car. Not what others tell you it is worth.

Selling cars to family members is a pain. Sister wanted us to give her dads car after he failed his driving test and became indignant when we asked the small price of $1000. Its an Alero with 180,000 miles. Couple weeks later she had changed her tune after becoming better acquainted wit the used car market.

Selling cars to family members is a pain. Sister wanted us to give her dads car after he failed his driving test and became indignant when we asked the small price of $1000. Its an Alero with 180,000 miles. Couple weeks later she had changed her tune after becoming better acquainted wit the used car market.

Well to be honest, Olds Aleros are not known for reliability.

All I know is Dad couldnt afford to just give it away, he hasnt had any problems with it, basic used car no matter what shape or model is 1 grand.

All I know is Dad couldnt afford to just give it away, he hasnt had any problems with it, basic used car no matter what shape or model is 1 grand.

They aren't horrible or anything. Just plan on replacing water pumps and wheel bearings a lot.

Can't argue with a grand. I didn't mean to make it sound like a bad car, they aren't that bad. Watch out for: intake manifold gasket, head gasket, water pump, wheel bearings. All are easy to fix on your own and fairly cheap.
Edit: wheel bearings are a bitch without a torch. You can get them done pretty cheap though.

Last edited:

No. You go by NADA. NADA is what the bank will give you for a loan on your car. Do not use Kelly Blue book. The banks use NADA. NADA is going to give you more - Kelly blue book could have been set up by car dealers. ( doesn't give you what the car is worth )

NADA Home Page

NADA stands for National Auto Dealers Association, so it IS set up by car dealers. Banks generally do go by that value, but it is not always an accurate reflection of value. Kelley certainly does give you wholesale and retail car values. We look at them periodically to double check NADA. Currently we use Black Book for wholesale pricing at our dealership.

Here is the clean retail on your car, Peach. If it is a 95 Camry LE with 154,000 miles and is a 6 cylinder it is worth 3,500.00 and if it is 4 cylinder the clean retail is $3,075.00. That is NADA price. Go by NADA.

I'm assuming your car has never been wrecked. Use NADA and put your vin number in and they can do a check on that also for you.

Clean retail is only applicable if sold by a dealer who has completely reconditioned the car. There really is far more than visiting a website and selecting buttons to determining value.

Traditionally people have sold their potential trade ins to family members slightly above what the dealer is offering. That is a wholesale price minus reconditioning. In your case I would estimate that is around $1,200.00, so add a few hundred and you are at about $1,400-1,700. Realistically you could sell it retail for $2,100-2,500.

NADA Home Page

Most folks I know who have looked at both say Kelly's gives the higher value. You are wrong about the NADA though unless they have changed it. It gives you I think 3 values depending on what you are looking for--loan, trade-in, and purchase I believe are the 3. It has been a few years since I have cracked one of their books open though so I could be off on what the 3 are.

Forum List

Back