12-Year-Old Boy - Tried as an Adult?

After the hearing, defense attorney David Acker repeated allegations recently raised by Brown's family that Houk has an ex-boyfriend who threatened her and supposedly "confessed" to friends at a party that he killed her. Brown's family contends police botched the case, overlooked other suspects, and wrongly charged the boy.

The juvenile system needs reform, how hard could it be to fix the system for the exceptions?
How about his:

Normal juvenile crimes: -> Juvenile court system.
Normal adult crimes: -> Normal court system.

Crimes we can't hardly understand, juridical implications we can't forsee or like to think about: -> Exceptional court system.

This court system could operate on a very case-to-case basis, not reffering to other cases or normal punishments. Just a thought. Like in this case: We have different victims to consider. One being the boys father. Is justice to HIM served by justifying HER family only? Or the other way around? Or is his contribution to the situation a factor to consider? Was her?

Since most everyone here has already convicted the kid could someone share the info that definitively proves he committed the murder?

After the hearing, defense attorney David Acker repeated allegations recently raised by Brown's family that Houk has an ex-boyfriend who threatened her and supposedly "confessed" to friends at a party that he killed her. Brown's family contends police botched the case, overlooked other suspects, and wrongly charged the boy.

holy moly! much more complicated than i thought...

Since most everyone here has already convicted the kid could someone share the info that definitively proves he committed the murder?

You got me ... I'm really going on nothing other than the link here.

She's a witch!

BURN HER!

The juvenile system needs reform, how hard could it be to fix the system for the exceptions?
How about his:

Crimes we can't hardly understand, juridical implications we can't forsee or like to think about: -> Exceptional court system.

This court system could operate on a very case-to-case basis, not reffering to other cases or normal punishments. Just a thought. Like in this case: We have different victims to consider. One being the boys father. Is justice to HIM served by justifying HER family only? Or the other way around? Or is his contribution to the situation a factor to consider? Was her?

I think that sounds like a great way to fix the system....

Or they can be tried as juveniles and if their crime is atrocious, then they can be moved to the adult system/jail to serve out a longer term of imprisonment?

How about his:

Or they can be tried as juveniles and if their crime is atrocious, then they can be moved to the adult system/jail to serve out a longer term of imprisonment?

Sweet---If I commit a normal juvenile crime I can be tried as a juvenile.

How about his:

You would have to be juvenile to commit a normal juvenile crime!

How about his:

so what is your suggestion to the situation?

holy moly! much more complicated than i thought...

Here's a different case of a 12 year wrongly convicted.
Http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTAL.jsp?id=1202428581157&hbxlogin=1

Here's another article on this case.
Http://www.victimsheartland.forumot...-jordan-s-father-talks-to-the-media-t2598.htm

so what is your suggestion to the situation?

There's too much focus on the number. Being tried as a juvenile or adult based largely on age is bullshit and each case should be evaluated by the charges, facts, and verdict. Let each trial simply be...a trial and if convicted let the jury make sentencing recommendations.

How can our system say that 15 year olds do not have a mind developed enough to turn their boyfriend down for sex, or to give legal consent for sex or even consent in a legal contract, yet we say an 11 year old is an adult in this circumstance?

I'm sorry, an eleven year old is NOT an adult.

Keep in mind we live in a nation where it is legal to arm 18 year olds with automatic weapons, send them thousands of miles away to kill strangers, but if they come home can be arrested and jailed.....for. Having. A. Fucking. Beer.

If you can make sense of it please let us know....

There's too much focus on the number. Being tried as a juvenile or adult based largely on age is bullshit and each case should be evaluated by the charges, facts, and verdict. Let each trial simply be...a trial and if convicted let the jury make sentencing recommendations.

Allright, but without any distinction in age you will put children in a very strange situation. They have no right to vote, they are only half-citizens so to say with generally no income or right to decide who they live with or freedom of choice. Bringing them to justice is a delicate procedure to say the least. Would you suggest a jury of peers?

Allright, but without any distinction in age you will put children in a very strange situation. They have no right to vote, they are only half-citizens so to say with generally no income or right to decide who they live with or freedom of choice. Bringing them to justice is a delicate procedure to say the least. Would you suggest a jury of peers?

They are going to be in a strange situation either way.........do you think it would somehow be "less strange" if they are tried as a juvy or adult? (I'm hoping your peers question was a joke.)

They are going to be in a strange situation either way.........do you think it would somehow be "less strange" if they are tried as a juvy or adult? (I'm hoping your peers question was a joke.)

I am pretty sure they would find a legal system adopted for children less strange, yes. Justice is supposed to be blind, but children carries another status than adults in our societey, they are not "small-sort-of-adults". They haven't been considered to be that in last 1000 years. What ever crime they might have comitted they should not be exposed to the legal system designed by adults for adults.

Yes, the jury thing was a joke. But it stresses the point that children are different from adults. We "infringe" their rights and pay with extra responsability for that.

How can our system say that 15 year olds do not have a mind developed enough to turn their boyfriend down for sex, or to give legal consent for sex or even consent in a legal contract, yet we say an 11 year old is an adult in this circumstance?

I'm sorry, an eleven year old is NOT an adult.

An eleven year old (that's how old he was at the time) should be protected by any competent attorney (and any measurable system of justice) by the infancy defense. He would have to have known the nature of his crime, that it was a crime, the legal consequences, etc...and no eleven year old has that level of maturity. They are not of the age to consent to anything, and should be protected from their impulses by attentive adults. How the fuck did this kid get his hands on a gun to begin with?!

Forum List

Back