10mm Magnum

Just received my first batch of 10mm Magnum rounds. Got 80 rounds and I'm still waiting on the next 200 rounds. Cant wait to try out the Underwood extreme penetrators.

Sent out the cylinder today to be reamed to accept the new rounds.

The size difference between the .40 S&W the 10mm and the 10mm Magnum is huge!!!

View attachment 425540

I have a S&W 41 Mag model 57. It's also a hand cannon. Fun to shoot.

Smith-and-Wesson-Model-57-cal-41-Mag-Revolver-with-8-3-8-Pinned-Barrel-No-Dash-Series_100821503_2262_7CC655B90D36E04B.JPG

That is one beautiful piece of machinery.

Just received my first batch of 10mm Magnum rounds. Got 80 rounds and I'm still waiting on the next 200 rounds. Cant wait to try out the Underwood extreme penetrators.

View attachment 425540

Smith-and-Wesson-Model-57-cal-41-Mag-Revolver-with-8-3-8-Pinned-Barrel-No-Dash-Series_100821503_2262_7CC655B90D36E04B.JPG

That sucker looks Loooong!!!!
Whats the barrel length 8 inches?

Really want to get some ballistic gel blocks to test out penetration but the cheapest I could find are $90 bucks a block and I'd need two.
You can melt em back down and reform them but what a pain in the ass!!!
Looks like I'll be buying a bunch of watermelons.
Hey I know two leftist who do side work as ballistic jel You can get em both cheap or use them of bait.

View attachment 425540

Yes, 8 3/8 inches. Smith & Wesson developed the .41 mag in the 1960's for police because the standard 38 did not have a lot of stopping power. The 41 mag basically has the stopping power of a 44 mag because the 41 mag round has a higher velocity even though its slightly lighter. About 250 grains versus 300 grains.

It never really caught on with police because its too big and its heavy like the 44 mag. But if you want stopping power its got plenty. It'll take out a grizzly bear and damn near take a deer off its feet. I would say about 2-3 times the recoil of a standard 9mm pistol.

Very fun to shoot, but like the 44 mag it's a big, heavy pistol. I understand why it never really caught on with cops.

Last edited:

View attachment 425540

Yes, 8 3/8 inches. Smith & Wesson developed the .41 mag in the 1960's for police because the standard 38 did not have a lot of stopping power. The 41 mag basically has the stopping power of a 44 mag because the 41 mag round has a higher velocity even though its slightly lighter. About 250 grains versus 300 grains.

It never really caught on with police because its too big and its heavy like the 44 mag. But if you want stopping power its got plenty. It'll take out a grizzly bear and damn near take a deer off its feet. I would say about 2-3 times the recoil of a standard 9mm pistol.

Very fun to shoot, but like the 44 mag it's a big, heavy pistol. I understand why it never really caught on with cops.

Apparently S&W made a Model 657 in stainless steel, with a 3" barrel. Can you imagine the recoil from that puppy?

41-remington-magnum-the-perfect-revolver-cartridge.jpg

View attachment 425540
Ever wonder why Ruger phased out frames with a side plate ?

View attachment 425540
Ever wonder why Ruger phased out frames with a side plate ?

Nope.
Couldnt tell ya.

View attachment 425540

Apparently S&W made a Model 657 in stainless steel, with a 3" barrel. Can you imagine the recoil from that puppy?

41-remington-magnum-the-perfect-revolver-cartridge.jpg

Pretty sure I'd want a rubber grip for that beast!

Really want to get some ballistic gel blocks to test out penetration but the cheapest I could find are $90 bucks a block and I'd need two.

If you really want to get an idea of what's happening when the bullet hits the target, it's worth the investment. A 10mm round is gonna' fucking shatter a watermelon...

If you really want to get an idea of what's happening when the bullet hits the target, it's worth the investment. A 10mm round is gonna' fucking shatter a watermelon...

Yeah,I'm gonna have to eventually nut up and ass up the $180 bucks if I really want to see some real time ballistics.
The thing that sucks is you can only get a half dozen shots on it before you have to melt it down and reform.
You can get some cheaper stuff but it's really cloudy making it difficult to clearly see whats going on.
Going to have to get a stand for the Iphone so I can film it as well.
Maybe I can get the Wife to stand down range and film for me.....:08621:

Yeah,I'm gonna have to eventually nut up and ass up the $180 bucks if I really want to see some real time ballistics.
The thing that sucks is you can only get a half dozen shots on it before you have to melt it down and reform.
You can get some cheaper stuff but it's really cloudy making it difficult to clearly see whats going on.

I would have to look for it, but about ten years ago I saw something on the web, sort of a "recipe" for making your own ballistic gel. I never tried it, but apparently it performed pretty well...

I would have to look for it, but about ten years ago I saw something on the web, sort of a "recipe" for making your own ballistic gel. I never tried it, but apparently it performed pretty well...

There's plenty of recipes out there but they all come out cloudy and almost impossible to see wound channels. I suppose it's better than assing up $180 bucks for the good stuff.
1607276705039.png

1607276770444.png

Forum List

Back