100,000 leave unions ???

Can you make a post without the word "left" in it? You're 4 for 4 on this thread.

I mean the evidence seems to point towards your posts all revolving around infantile partisanship. Is that all you have to offer? :laugh:

Can you make a post without using far left propaganda?

Yes I know you are upset that your religious dogma has been shot down, it is time to get over it.

Once again the far left makes things up as they go along based on their programmed talking points.

Used it 2 times in one post. You're getting good

Yes I know it is all you far left Obama drones have.

Can you make a post without using far left propaganda?

Yes I know you are upset that your religious dogma has been shot down, it is time to get over it.

Once again the far left makes things up as they go along based on their programmed talking points.

Used it 2 times in one post. You're getting good

Yes I know it is all you far left Obama drones have.

You're boring. Are you even trying?

Give people the ability to leave and if they do it's because the Unions did not truly represent them. I see nothing wrong with that.

If you don't have the right to work, you will NEVER achieve what you are capable of. Being an unwilling member of a bully union might give you temporary and totally unearned financial advantage, but no person with even the slightest amount of self-respect can be happy about advantages that were given to him by a union, of which he is a dues-paying slave.

I made a strong and successful effort to get out of the union which I was forced to join. If I had stayed in the union, I would have retired as a poorly paid laborer, instead of getting the opportunity to become a successful and self-taught computer programmer. I would have never had the pleasure of crossing picket lines and work for the company that put bread and butter on my table, rather than wasting my time walking the picket line for the bastards whose main ambition was to sabotage the company in order to make a phony stand, chasing a raise in pay, which would never catch up with the loss of wages caused by an insane strike.

If you want to see the accomplishments of unions, look at Detroit. Or in the same state, the union that is fighting to give a teacher, a child molesting member, a $10,000 severance pay.

Last edited:
I am not saying this actually happened. But this story is pretty interesting.....

I'd be curious to watch and see how this plays out.

100,000 Government Workers Choose Freedom from Unions in Wisconsin - Matt Batzel - Page 1

Less than 3 years after Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker signed his collective bargaining reforms (Act 10), more than 100,000 union members have left Big Labor.

Later the article says....

In May 2012, The Wall Street Journal reported that American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) had lost 34,073 and at least 2,455 have left since then. American Federation of Teachers- Wisconsin (AFT-Wisconsin) told the Wisconsin State Journal that they had lost about 5,250 members, while the UW-Madison Teaching Assistants’ Association lost 1,350 members. Wisconsin Education Association Council (WEAC) lost around 50,000 members prior to this latest round of voting. Even the Wisconsin Professional Police Association lost 1,700 members. In total, the public reports indicate Wisconsin unions have now lost more than 100,000 members since Act 10 became law.

Do we know what percentage that is of the total ?

Welcher says what?

If you don't have the right to work, you will NEVER achieve what you are capable of. Being an unwilling member of a bully union might give you temporary and totally unearned financial advantage, but no person with even the slightest amount of self-respect can be happy about advantages that were given to him by a union, of which he is a dues-paying slave.

I made a strong and successful effort to get out of the union which I was forced to join. If I had stayed in the union, I would have retired as a poorly paid laborer, instead of getting the opportunity to become a successful and self-taught computer programmer. I would have never had the pleasure of crossing picket lines and work for the company that put bread and butter on my table, rather than wasting my time walking the picket line for the bastards whose main ambition was to sabotage the company in order to make a phony stand, chasing a raise in pay, which would never catch up with the loss of wages caused by an insane strike.

If you want to see the accomplishments of unions, look at Detroit. Or in the same state, the union that is fighting to give a teacher, a child molesting member, a $10,000 severance pay.

Before Unions, children were going down into the mines for 60 hours a week and women were jumping out of burning factories.

Your children may not have the opportunity, with outsourcing, to become successul computer programmers.

I do not denigrate you for your choices but I don't think you should denigrate others for their choice to join a labor union.

If you really want to evaluate the worth of unions, you need to compare countries with strong union movements with those without union movements, like most, i not all, of the third world countries.

If you really want to evaluate the worth of unions, you need to compare countries with strong union movements today with what they were like before they became countries with unions.

I wonder how much a computer programmer in Pakistan makes.

Public employee unions are pretty much a thing of the past. Their only function is to bilk taxpayers to the benefit of their membership. Taxpayers working in similarly skilled jobs who make less money with far less security are simply fed up.

To wit: States that voted for Obama in a period where the pendulum has swung to the left are doing away with them. That certainly does not bode well for the unions.

Last edited:

Before Unions, children were going down into the mines for 60 hours a week and women were jumping out of burning factories.

Your children may not have the opportunity, with outsourcing, to become successul computer programmers.

I do not denigrate you for your choices but I don't think you should denigrate others for their choice to join a labor union.

If you really want to evaluate the worth of unions, you need to compare countries with strong union movements with those without union movements, like most, i not all, of the third world countries.

If you really want to evaluate the worth of unions, you need to compare countries with strong union movements today with what they were like before they became countries with unions.

Then and now..................

There is no doubt Unions did some good things in their earlier times to improve conditions for the workforce. I don't think any realistic person would say different, but over time they wanted more, more, more........driving the price of production up, up, and up for companies. Companies that are in business to make a profit. Companies that must compete in a global market.

The labor portion of that cost is a high cost of doing business. As they raise prices to compensate for the increases, they tend to get their asses handed to them on the global market...........As we compete with companies that have lower standards of not only labor cost, but EPA costs as well. It also includes the higher costs of the benefits in this country as well................

Detroit is in ruins. Half the population has left to find greener fields. It was not only destroyed by the Unions and their policies but higher taxation in all areas. Driving Businesses out to find greener fields............Which is why Detroit has been getting their asses handed to them for a while now. It is why new auto plants are being built in the South. As the Unions and anti business Dems drive them away, the other states are taking them in and creating jobs for their respective states. Using incentives, lower costs for doing business, and even Tax decreases to move companies to their states.

Perhaps it's time the left get a dose of REALITY. That their very policies cost them jobs and a standard of living. But they refuse, as they try and DETROIT THE ENTIRE NATION.

I worked in a Union once. At a shipyard in the South. Quite frankly it was a joke. You had to join to get the job.............Pay dues to the Union to be employed..........They bragged at how they made working conditions better at the job site. As I watched people getting sent to hospitals working in these great conditions practically every day.

Union safety men would walk around and enforce safety. Ear plugs, safety glasses, steel toed boots or you get wrote up. Which is pretty standard in industry. Nothing more and nothing less. But you could be working on a live electrical panel, STANDING IN WATER because they hadn't pumped it out, and they wouldn't do a damn thing about it. Or working in 120 degree compartments with virtually no ventillation.............When you asked about that, they'd say be careful..............Complete joke.................

Working in one compartment that was behind schedule. Reported 90% complete, but only about 20% done. We needed some paint to paint our welds to put in electrical wire ways. We turned in the necessary paper work to put paint on the studs...........day after day not paint after repeated requests.................So we grabbed a small amount of paint and painted the dang things ourselves...........Next thing we know Union Stewards show up threatening to give us 3 day layoffs for daring to paint the studs...............I basically told them to go .........themselves.......Told them if they'd have gotten off their lazy asses and spent 20 minutes painting the welds we wouldn't have done it for them...........I also told them to shove their layoff threats up their ass..............

Nothing done in the end.........But I left and went on to better things.............

Personal story...........Of a Union that wasn't worth jack squat.

George Will: Bad government, unions destroyed Detroit | CJOnline.com

Detroit’s population, which is 62 percent smaller than in 1950, has contracted less than the United Auto Workers membership, which was more than 1 million in 1950 and now is around 390,000. Auto industry executives continually bought labor peace by mortgaging their companies’ futures. Then city officials gave their employees pay scales comparable to those of autoworkers. Thus did private-sector decadence drive public-sector dysfunction — government negotiating with government-employees’ unions that are organized as an interest group to lobby itself to do what it wants to do: Grow.

Steven Rattner, who administered the bailout of part of the Detroit-based portion of America’s automobile industry, says “apart from voting in elections, the 700,000 remaining residents of the Motor City are no more responsible for Detroit’s problems than were the victims of Hurricane Sandy for theirs.” Congress, he says, should bail out Detroit because “America is just as much about aiding those less fortunate as it is about personal responsibility.”

There you have today’s liberalism. Apart from the pesky matter of “voting in elections” — apart from decades of voting to empower incompetents, scoundrels and criminals, and to mandate unionized rapacity — no one is responsible for anything. Popular sovereignty is a chimera because impersonal forces akin to hurricanes are sovereign.

The restoration of America’s vitality depends on, among other things, avoiding the sinkhole that would be created by the federal government rescuing one-party cities, and one-party states from the consequences of unchecked power. Those consequences — incompetence, magical thinking, cynicism — are written in Detroit’s ruins.

So are you criticizing the kindergarten teacher for being in a union? Yes those awful kindergarten teachers. And those snow plow drivers. They should have their wages lowered too. I would hope that those who are critical of unions are talking to the union heads because the average union worker who is barely cognizant of the union has zero to do with anything. On the other hand, unions have outlived their worth in some senses as well. But I get a kick out of those who always always fail to decipher between union officials and the average union worker whom of which are constantly being attacked. And this is coming from a business owner who can easily see through the garbage rhetoric.

So are you criticizing the kindergarten teacher for being in a union? Yes those awful kindergarten teachers. And those snow plow drivers. They should have their wages lowered too. I would hope that those who are critical of unions are talking to the union heads because the average union worker who is barely cognizant of the union has zero to do with anything. On the other hand, unions have outlived their worth in some senses as well. But I get a kick out of those who always always fail to decipher between union officials and the average union worker whom of which are constantly being attacked. And this is coming from a business owner who can easily see through the garbage rhetoric.
Your premise is disingenuous, to say the least. Criticizing public unions is certainly not tantamount to public employees (kindergarten teachers and snow plow drivers).

Are you surprised? Walker's entire shtick is diminishing the right to organize. Couple that with the unemployment rate in Wisconsin during the time the article specified and less union members should be expected.

I think his "shtick" is to allow for people not to be forced to organize.

I worked in a Union once. At a shipyard in the South. Quite frankly it was a joke. You had to join to get the job.............Pay dues to the Union to be employed..........They bragged at how they made working conditions better at the job site. As I watched people getting sent to hospitals working in these great conditions practically every day.

Union safety men would walk around and enforce safety. Ear plugs, safety glasses, steel toed boots or you get wrote up. Which is pretty standard in industry. Nothing more and nothing less. But you could be working on a live electrical panel, STANDING IN WATER because they hadn't pumped it out, and they wouldn't do a damn thing about it. Or working in 120 degree compartments with virtually no ventillation.............When you asked about that, they'd say be careful..............Complete joke.................

Working in one compartment that was behind schedule. Reported 90% complete, but only about 20% done. We needed some paint to paint our welds to put in electrical wire ways. We turned in the necessary paper work to put paint on the studs...........day after day not paint after repeated requests.................So we grabbed a small amount of paint and painted the dang things ourselves...........Next thing we know Union Stewards show up threatening to give us 3 day layoffs for daring to paint the studs...............I basically told them to go .........themselves.......Told them if they'd have gotten off their lazy asses and spent 20 minutes painting the welds we wouldn't have done it for them...........I also told them to shove their layoff threats up their ass..............

Nothing done in the end.........But I left and went on to better things.............

Personal story...........Of a Union that wasn't worth jack squat.

My opinion is, bad management. Managed correctly Unions can be used to universally control the masses. Be a jerk supervisor and allow what you describe happen, that is no fault but the Supervisor. The union guy wants to keep the painter's job the steward does not assign work, in most places. And if they operate like you describe then they certainly will go out of business.

Glad to hear it. If a business wants clear roads then don't be afraid to pay the snow plow driver. Otherwise, pay a good wage and shut your mouth.

OK, here is my personal story why I left the union and was glad having done so.

After arriving as an immigrant, knowing not a word of English and having worked in the mines for several years, I decided to dare the big city and got a job in a factory, producing tires.

My job placed me on a three-men crew, doing 'piece-work', i.e. the more you produce, the higher your pay, with one man operating the Banbury mixer, while the other two alternated daily between the "light end": weighing all the different compounds that went into a batch of raw rubber and the "heavy end": bringing to the mixer the 1,500 pound load of rubber, stacked on skids. One day when I was on the "heavy end", I needed help to extricate the skid holding the rubber we needed. After struggling - unsuccessfully - to pull the skid out, - while the mixer ran empty - I called over to my crew-mates to come and help. Their answer was, literally: "FUCK YOU, IT'S MY JOB".

That was the moment that I decided that spending any time with idiots was not an option for me. I served out the remainder of my probation time, and as soon as I could, I applied for a training program, that would open the door towards management or a job within the company that does not require the "MUST" for a union job: a strong back and a weak mind.

In time - as the company gave me a chance - I taught myself be a computer programmer.
Several times, when the union idiots struck, I was happy to be called a scab, and cross their picket line. In one year, us scabs managed to fill the contract our company made with a customer, thereby saving the jobs of the loud-mouth strikers. When the strike was over, the union crawled back and reluctantly gave thanks for saving their jobs.

I am NOT from Pakistan. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Forum List

Back