10 Signs You Were Born In The 1950s

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
slide_357655_3956081_free.jpg

Telling my age that I remember every single one of these. And, go down to the very bottom and click on the arrow to show a whole bunch of other near pictures. One of them is this:

slide_236940_1187304_free.jpg

I had at least 50 reels loaded with music. Even had them up to the 2000's.

All @ 10 Signs You Were Born In The 1950s

Don't remember much except snow up to the second story windows of our house in Canada.

I remember ads for cars with automatic transmissions being a feature point.

Chalkboards in school used to be blackboards, made from slate.

Baby Moon hubcaps.

Black Diamond bass strings.

Chicken a la king and baked Alaska.

Who remembers LBJ's "heavy heart" and the draft lottery?

Moms stayed at home and the old man made enough money to support , raise [FEED] , house all 5 kids in halfway good style . No daycare and kids went to school starting in kindergarden rather than preschool and pre preschool . Everyone took a quarter to school for lunch and lunch was good and seconds were available for the asking . Mothers of my friends did the cookin and were the LUNCH LADIES , I liked the lunch ladies !!

small fees were just getting started for hunting and fishing and I as a 12 to 20 year old never had a license . I never had a hunting or fishing license until the 90s and by then I was slowing down because hunting and fishing was a hundred miles away from where I lived . No fees for camping on public land that I remember and I camped all over the U.P. and north eastern USA , Canada especially in the late 60s . No motorcycle helmet or seatbelt laws in the mid 60s , no motorcycle operators license needed till about 1969 in Michigan. Hitch hiking was common and I hitch hiked all over the eastern - southern USA in the late 60s early 70s . I don't know if its even legal to hitch hike now but I'm not interested in thumbing these days .

I was born in 1951. Remember all of the photos. Life was great in the late 50's and early 60's. Had a ball growing up.

Moms stayed at home and the old man made enough money to support , raise [FEED] , house all 5 kids in halfway good style . No daycare and kids went to school starting in kindergarden rather than preschool and pre preschool . Everyone took a quarter to school for lunch and lunch was good and seconds were available for the asking . Mothers of my friends did the cookin and were the LUNCH LADIES , I liked the lunch ladies !!

I remember the lunch ladies too. In my mind's eye, I can see big gallon jars of home-canned fruit that had been grown in a family-owned orchard. And, I remember the big to-do when the school district switched to commercially canned food because it wasn't considered to be as healthy.

Not all food was healthy though. I can remember that my mother kept a can on the stove where bacon grease was poured, kept without refrigeration and used to cook darn near everything.

People got plenty of exercise without ever belonging to a gym but people, especially men, were dying younger and younger. My own father was only 54 when he had a massive heart attack in a shopping center.

Like you say, my mother never worked until after my father died. He was a foreman on the paint crew for company called Capp Homes. They made prefab homes that were delivered half-built and assembled on site. His take home at the time of his death was right at $100 a week and a family of 5 kids lived on it.

and I made a mistake , lunch was probably a nickel - dime a day rather than a quarter . Girls [and boys nowadays could go ] went to Home Economics where they could learn healthy diet as healthy diet became known .

slide_357655_3956081_free.jpg

Telling my age that I remember every single one of these. And, go down to the very bottom and click on the arrow to show a whole bunch of other near pictures. One of them is this:

slide_236940_1187304_free.jpg

I had at least 50 reels loaded with music. Even had them up to the 2000's.

All @ 10 Signs You Were Born In The 1950s

A Concertone! :eusa_dance:

My dad bought a Concertone -- a much much older model -- when I was three years old. I was utterly fascinated. It led to an entire career in sound. I remember neighbors coming over to see this marvel of a machine that would record your voice and play it back to you, quite a novelty then.

Our family reel-to-reel looked more like this. I started using it at age 6.

BerlantConcertone1401b.jpg

Check out that "magic eye" tube over the heads. Playing back it lit up green, and when you went to record it went orange.

Last edited:
I remember a kidthat had a reel to reel in the late 60s . He was an NMU college student and he had it in a small hard side camper trailer where we'd drink beer . It was said to be cool but I never saw the advantage over a stereo .

Forum List

Back