0th anniversary of VJ Day: Thank the atomic bomb for saving millions of lives

Again, someone doesn't seem to think very much of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, which I hold to a higher standard than our enemies during wartime. Do you wish we had thrown Germans into ovens after winning the war in Europe? I think we'd a lot better than that. I guess you don't.

Yeah......as General May pointed out, he killed more Germans with conventional bombs than we did to the Japanese with the atomic bomb

We ended the war and saved lots of lives doing it..........
The war was already won, and we incinerated hundreds of thousands of starving women, children, and the elderly just to try out a new "toy" for fdr's legacy.

The war was already won, and we incinerated hundreds of thousands of starving women, children, and the elderly just to try out a new "toy" for fdr's legacy.
The war wasn't won. The Japanese were still fighting, still killing our POWs, still killing thousands of Chinese, Burmese and Malaysian civilians every day, still launching kamikaze attacks, still torpedoing our ships. For your information, the USS Indianapolis was sunk by a Japanese submarine during this time. Wars aren't over until one side or the other acknowledges defeat and the Japanese were far from defeated in their minds. Look at teh "peace" proposals they tendered through the Swedes. Nothing more substantive than a return to status quo ante December 6th 1941.

Last edited:
The war wasn't won. ...

ADMIRAL WILLIAM D. LEAHY

(Chief of Staff to Presidents Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman)
"It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.

"The lethal possibilities of atomic warfare in the future are frightening. My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."

"

HERBERT HOOVER

"On May 28, 1945, Hoover visited President Truman and suggested a way to end the Pacific war quickly: "I am convinced that if you, as President, will make a shortwave broadcast to the people of Japan - tell them they can have their Emperor if they surrender, that it will not mean unconditional surrender except for the militarists - you'll get a peace in Japan - you'll have both wars over."

Richard Norton Smith, An Uncommon Man: The Triumph of Herbert Hoover, pg. 347.

On August 8, 1945, after the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, Hoover wrote to Army and Navy Journal publisher Colonel John Callan O'Laughlin, "The use of the atomic bomb, with its indiscriminate killing of women and children, revolts my soul."

quoted from Gar Alperovitz, The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb, pg. 635.

"...the Japanese were prepared to negotiate all the way from February 1945...up to and before the time the atomic bombs were dropped; ...if such leads had been followed up, there would have been no occasion to drop the [atomic] bombs."

- quoted by Barton Bernstein in Philip Nobile, ed., Judgment at the Smithsonian, pg. 142

Hoover biographer Richard Norton Smith has written: "Use of the bomb had besmirched America's reputation, he [Hoover] told friends. It ought to have been described in graphic terms before being flung out into the sky over Japan."

Richard Norton Smith, An Uncommon Man: The Triumph of Herbert Hoover, pg. 349-350.

In early May of 1946 Hoover met with General Douglas MacArthur. Hoover recorded in his diary, "I told MacArthur of my memorandum of mid-May 1945 to Truman, that peace could be had with Japan by which our major objectives would be accomplished. MacArthur said that was correct and that we would have avoided all of the losses, the Atomic bomb, and the entry of Russia into Manchuria."

"

HERBERT HOOVER

"On May 28, 1945, Hoover visited President Truman and suggested a way to end the Pacific war quickly: "I am convinced that if you, as President, will make a shortwave broadcast to the people of Japan - tell them they can have their Emperor if they surrender, that it will not mean unconditional surrender except for the militarists - you'll get a peace in Japan - you'll have both wars over."

On August 8, 1945, after the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, Hoover wrote to Army and Navy Journal publisher Colonel John Callan O'Laughlin, "The use of the atomic bomb, with its indiscriminate killing of women and children, revolts my soul."

"...the Japanese were prepared to negotiate all the way from February 1945...up to and before the time the atomic bombs were dropped; ...if such leads had been followed up, there would have been no occasion to drop the [atomic] bombs."

- quoted by Barton Bernstein in Philip Nobile, ed., Judgment at the Smithsonian, pg. 142

Hoover biographer Richard Norton Smith has written: "Use of the bomb had besmirched America's reputation, he [Hoover] told friends. It ought to have been described in graphic terms before being flung out into the sky over Japan."

Richard Norton Smith, An Uncommon Man: The Triumph of Herbert Hoover, pg. 349-350.

In early May of 1946 Hoover met with General Douglas MacArthur. Hoover recorded in his diary, "I told MacArthur of my memorandum of mid-May 1945 to Truman, that peace could be had with Japan by which our major objectives would be accomplished. MacArthur said that was correct and that we would have avoided all of the losses, the Atomic bomb, and the entry of Russia into Manchuria."

ADMIRAL WILLIAM D. LEAHY

(Chief of Staff to Presidents Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman)
"It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.

"The lethal possibilities of atomic warfare in the future are frightening. My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."

And the bomber mafia was saying Japan was defeated by bomber raids. The only people looking at the real situation on the ground were the grunts. A lot of flag officers had ethics issues with nukes, oddly enough they had no ethical issues with starving an entire race to death, or incinerating millions by firebombing attacks or even killing tens of thousands by random naval gunfire. Leahy never saw combat, he was a staff puke ivy tower flag officer who never made a life or death decision in his entire career. He retired in 1939 and as a close friend of FDR got recalled to first serve as ambassador to Vichy France until 1942, then FDR drafted him as what amounted to the White House Chief of Staff. He, like Doug MacArthur, were products of an earlier age who thought warfare could be fought like knights in armor.
If you read Leahy’s bio on Wikki, he was a weasel who played patronage games, accepted a Navy Cross for commanding a transport on ONE voyage carrying troops to France during WWI. That was his first and only command during his career. The rest of the time he was a staff officer. He willing supported the firebombing attacks that burned millions of Japanese civilians to death, but quibbled at the use of the “Paris Gun” in WWI by the Germans to randomly shell Paris and the use of nukes despite being active in supporting the development of the bombs,

Last edited:
"

HERBERT HOOVER

The Japanese government knew they could surrender at any time. They refused. Hoover’s idea was beyond ludicrous, the Japanese people had no voice in their government. Japan was essentially governed as a feudal state by the military, even the Mikado was mostly a rubber stamp for the decisions reached by the military. Surrendering was the first independent action ever taken by Hirohito.

Nope.......Japan refused to surrender and from our experiences fighting them during the rest of the war where they inflicted massive casaulties on our troops when they refused to surrender made dropping the bombs the quickest way to end the war.

A little truth.....

Truman wanted to use the bombs to avoid invading the Japanese mainland. The recent battle for Okinawa resulted in an estimated 50,000 American casualties—the bloodiest of all the American battles of the Pacific War. Truman’s military planners warned that invasions of the Japanese mainland to end the war might cost the equivalent of 20 more Okinawa campaigns.

Japan’s leaders swore that they would fight to the bitter end, bragging of their planned sacrifice as the “Glorious Death of One Hundred Million.” They planned to draw on 10,000 suicide planes and 10 million soldiers, militiamen, and irregulars.
-----
Thousands of Allied prisoners, as well as civilians in Japanese-occupied China, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific, were dying each day the war dragged on. More than 1 million Japanese soldiers abroad were still brutally killing the innocent.

There were still other less publicized considerations. The incendiary B-29 bombing campaign from the distant Mariana Islands had already killed far more Japanese than would the two atomic bombs.
------

With new airfields on Okinawa, Gen. Curtis LeMay envisioned a far greater force of four-engine bombers to be sent on daily missions against Japan. LeMay would have had at his disposal nearly 10,000 four-engine bombers, including B-29s, along with transfers of idle B-24s, B-17s, and British Lancaster bombers after the surrender of Germany three months earlier.

The ensuing napalm inferno might have precluded the invasion of Japan. But more nonstop firestorms also would have caused far more Japanese deaths than the two atomic bombs—at a time when Japan was already blockaded by the U.S. Navy and running out of food and supplies.

In other words, the novelty of the two horrific atomic bombs helped to shock the Japanese emperor into a sudden surrender. And the abrupt end of the Pacific War saved millions of lives—whether Asians under brutal Japanese occupation, Allied soldiers fighting against Japanese expeditionary armies, or Japanese civilians who likely would have been incinerated by an unimaginable second round of the firebombing campaign.

There Are No Civilians in Japan​

On July 21, 1945, a senior US Army Air Force intelligence officer in the Pacific distributed a report declaring: “The entire population of Japan is a proper Military Target . . . THERE ARE NO CIVILIANS IN JAPAN.” Those seeing this for the first time think it represents hyperbole at best, racist sanction for mass extermination at worst. It was neither. This document does provide a portal to see exactly how the summer of 1945 looked to Americans, particularly those directing or participating in final operations against Japan.

The Japanese armed forces burgeoned in 1945 under urgent mobilization from about 4.5 million men under arms to over 6 million by August. But in March, Japan mustered a vast additional body of combatants: every single male age 15 to 60 and every single female age 17 to 40. This inducted about a quarter or more of Japan’s total population, about 18 to 20 million people. Japan lacked uniforms or any other visible marker to distinguish this new sea of combatants from the remaining civilian population. Multiple millions of these nearly mobilized former male and female civilians now combatants, would be in the Kyushu invasion area.

This brings us to what prompted the assessment that there were “no civilians in Japan.” It represented a reaction to the Japanese government’s measure to obliterate any practical means for US servicemen to distinguish combatants from noncombatants in Japan. The dire implication of this was no surprise to Americans. From 1942 Americans learned that Japanese servicemen regarded surrender as unthinkable. Virtually every Japanese unit fought near to annihilation—a record unparalleled in modern history. Voluntary surrenders were rare. More often, prisoners were only those Japanese left by wounds or debilitation too helpless to take their own life. And there was ample evidence that Japanese soldiers and sailors would use the ruse of surrender to kill unwary enemies—a fate that befell, for instance, one of John F. Kennedy’s shipmates in the South Pacific.

When radio intelligence uncovered the stunning realization that the Japanese had anticipated the exact site of invasion and had mustered a fearful mass of ground and air defenders, including millions of erstwhile civilians, American leaders turned to contemplate radical and ruthless alternatives to invasion.

Not sure if the number includes the 1.2 million in China and more in SE Asia or not, but no matter re invading Japan. Unkotare is just a sick little shit eating deviant. Half of Australia's deaths were tortures and murders in Jap prison camps. Unkotare gets woodies over Japs and their despicable sub-human 'culture'.

Last edited:
77 years later and some are still parroting wartime propaganda and engaging in the conscious-soothing practice of dehumanizing an enemy that long ago became one of our staunchest allies. Weak-minded fools are so easy to manipulate.

Yeah......as General May pointed out, he killed more Germans with conventional bombs than we did to the Japanese with the atomic bomb
We also killed more Japs with conventional bombs than we did with nuclear. More died in the fire bombings than both nukes combined.

The Japs did it to themselves.

They did at Okinawa.

They thought that if they fought to the last man at Okinawa and caused tremendous American casualties then that would make the Allies think twice about invading Japan.

It actually work. We decided we didn't want to play that game and decided to nuke them instead.

By the time of the Okinawa invasion the Japs were defeated. The war was over except how many casualties there were going to be before the the Allies prevailed. If the Japs had surrendered at Okinawa then the war would have ended with the same terms as it it did later with many more casualties.

The Japs screwed themselves. Stubborn sonofabitches and they paid the price.

Forum List

Back