What do you understand about FDR? Did FDR want a war with Japan? For answers, check here

I believe your article--which you were so kind as to post twice, incorrect.
After reading it, I was struck by how often the writer...was moved to ignore the simple facts and bloviate on about how more people employed...bringing more money into the economy--was not progress at all.
This guy has an obvious axe to grind..I don't buy his assumptions or conclusions. BTW, neither do most reputable economists and historians.
From the Link:
True, unemployment did decline at the start of World War II. But that was a statistical residue of sending millions of young American men to fight and die in the war. There are better ways to reduce unemployment, as was shown after the war.

Statistics showed a rise in GDP during the war. But that just reflects misdefined statistical analysis. The military guns, tanks, ships, and planes produced and counted as showing rising GDP did not reflect improved standards of living for working people, or anyone else.

A paycheck is a paycheck.....and more people got one during lend-lease and WWII. More women got one. More Blacks got one.
And the article ignores the dramatic cultural shift that occurred when millions of women went to work to replace the men who were deployed overseas.

I’ll bet everyone of your sources are from wingnut sources. How many Google searches would it take to find them as associates of organizations like the Hoover excuses one?

I’ll bet everyone of your sources are from wingnut sources. How many Google searches would it take to find them as associates of organizations like the Hoover excuses one?
Oh yeah, UCLA is famous as a bastion of conservative ideology. :rolleyes:

The Flying Tigers was how FDR got the US involved in the war against Japan.

I ask democrats, if you were Japan and had to deal with the US Flying Tigers, would you take it or attack the US?
The Flying Tigers were not active until after Pearl Harbor.

"The Flying Tigers began to arrive in China in April 1941. The group first saw combat on 20 December 1941, 12 days after Pearl Harbor"

It shocks me how little posters know the true history of WW2. FDR provoked Japan due to stopping shipments of steel, oil and anything he believed would help Japan. He also installed the Flying Tigers in China to handle the air war with Japan. Don't you think FDR really pissed Japan off for them to bomb Pearl Harbor???
The Flying Tigers did NOTHING before Pearl Harbor. You watch too many John Wayne movies!

Not really; there was ample reason to be concerned. A large percentage were not U.S. citizens, and were never going to be, for one, and for two there were a couple of incidents that raised fears even before Pearl as well as during Pearl with downed pilots being aided by Japanese locals. No time to have long noble debates on right and wrong, we were hit with a surprise attack and there was no time and resources for such a luxury at the time. We were busy and expedience won out.

During the Japanese invasions over the previous two decades, American Jap communities celebrated, held victory parades, and sent care packages to Japanese troops, expressions of patriotism, so they basically brought it on themselves.
That sentence makes no sense. What are you trying to say?

Not so fast.

The First American Volunteer Group (AVG) of the Republic of China Air Force, nicknamed the Flying Tigers, was formed to help oppose the Japanese invasion of China. Operating in 1941–1942, it was composed of pilots from the United States Army Air Corps (USAAC), Navy (USN), and Marine Corps (USMC), and was commanded by Claire Lee Chennault. Their Curtiss P-40B Warhawk aircraft, marked with Chinese colors, flew under American control. Recruited under President Franklin Roosevelt's authority before Pearl Harbor, their mission was to bomb Japan and defend the Republic of China, but many delays meant the AVG first flew in combat after the US and Japan declared war.

The group consisted of three fighter squadrons of around 30 aircraft each that trained in Burma before the American entry into World War II to defend the Republic of China against Japanese forces. The AVG were officially members of the Republic of China Air Force. The group had contracts with salaries ranging from $250 a month for a mechanic to $750 for a squadron commander, roughly three times what they had been making in the U.S. forces. While it accepted some civilian volunteers for its headquarters and ground crew, the AVG recruited most of its staff from the U.S. military.

The Flying Tigers began to arrive in China in April 1941. The group first saw combat on 20 December 1941, 12 days after Pearl Harbor (local time).

Didn't read your own post?

Forum List

Back