Your favorite city/town

What is your favorite city? American ones are counted too.
D.C.
You can get killed in DC -- plenty of people have -- but you can't get a gun permit.
Judging by my life in D.C., there's little to no need for a gun. I'm not going to concern myself about not being able to do that which I have no need to do.
A recent paraphlegic wrote an essay about how he regrets the day in D.C. that he stopped for gas late at night in D.C. and while he was gassing-up his car a Negro gunned him down and took the car.

It is one of those PTSD stories that stings with the thought of how one moment in D.C. can change your life forever for the worse.

D.C.
You can get killed in DC -- plenty of people have -- but you can't get a gun permit.
Judging by my life in D.C., there's little to no need for a gun. I'm not going to concern myself about not being able to do that which I have no need to do.
Thank you. I've lived in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. I don't know where this stuff comes from that we are living in some sort of war zone. The museums, Ford's theater, Chinatown, Rock Creek Park, DuPont, the Florida Avenue Grill, Ben's Chili Bowl, Georgetown. All of the communities of Thais, Koreans, Middle Easterners, Indians, Ethiopians, Hondurans, Colombians, Vietnamese, Mexicans. The DC community is so rich. If I've left anyone else out, it is a failure of thinking. All contribute to our lives and our community. The DC area is a great place to live.
Of the 3 of them Virginia is definitely your safest bet.

You can carry your own gun there.
What is wrong with you? We don't need to carry guns around here. It sounds like you live in some sort of dangerous hell hole where hoards of zombies are trying to get into your house.

D.C.
A recent paraphlegic wrote an essay about how he regrets the day in D.C. that he stopped for gas late at night in D.C. and while he was gassing-up his car a Negro gunned him down and took the car.

It is one of those PTSD stories that stings with the thought of how one moment in D.C. can change your life forever for the worse.
A "Negro"???? What century are you living in?

It sounds trite, but I really adore Paris, at least before the Islam invasion. It's gorgeous.

And Florence. I could happily live there.

New York in the 1920s I dig too....that was so long ago....and so far away.....

so far apart from the libs and demrats and ...these communist scum of today....

GOD what a different world that was.....
There is less poverty and tenement life today ... Last prohibition crime and other crime too...

D.C.
Thank you. I've lived in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. I don't know where this stuff comes from that we are living in some sort of war zone. The museums, Ford's theater, Chinatown, Rock Creek Park, DuPont, the Florida Avenue Grill, Ben's Chili Bowl, Georgetown. All of the communities of Thais, Koreans, Middle Easterners, Indians, Ethiopians, Hondurans, Colombians, Vietnamese, Mexicans. The DC community is so rich. If I've left anyone else out, it is a failure of thinking. All contribute to our lives and our community. The DC area is a great place to live.
I don't know where this stuff comes from that we are living in some sort of war zone.

I don't know either....I've in D.C. (not the burbs) since I was an infant. We had our time when we were "the murder capital," but those days are long gone.

The DC area is a great place to live.
It is. The one thing that needs improvement is the overall quality of the public high schools. It's not that one cannot get a high quality education in them, but rather that there are too many distractions in the classroom and there's too often not enough parental participation in kids' development -- personal and academic. Part of that a school system can address and to an extent resolve, but part of it there's little the system can do....A school system cannot penalize a student because of a parent's torpidity/insouciance toward the kid's scholastic advancement.

The museums, Ford's theater, Chinatown, Rock Creek Park, DuPont, the Florida Avenue Grill, Ben's Chili Bowl, Georgetown. All of the communities of Thais, Koreans, Middle Easterners, Indians, Ethiopians, Hondurans, Colombians, Vietnamese, Mexicans. The DC community is so rich. If I've left anyone else out

....Notwithstanding that, by and large, the architecture and landscape/vistas in D.C. are scaled for humans and are very handsome, sometimes in a stately way and sometimes in a charming way, and there's even variety to it and the aesthetic appeal exists in every economic segment and all around the city....the corridors of South Dakota, Rhode Island and Michigan Aves; the Frederick Douglas House area; the Southeast Massachusetts Ave, Pennsylvania Ave, and Southern Ave corridors, LeDroit Park, Capitol Hill, Shaw, the area around the old Walter Reed Hospital; Petworth, Brightwood Park and Columbia Heights; and pretty much everything west of 14th Street....As one travels through the city, while the "current" block or street may be run down, in just a minute or two one'll come upon a well kept and pleasant looking section...In short, it's hard to move about D.C. and not in very short order encounter something nice to look at. Heck, even just the abundance of trees (as cities go) makes the D.C. pleasant looking.

From an economic standpoint, it's one of the best places for building personal wealth. To this day, one of my close acquaintances thanks me for advice I gave him when he was looking to buy his first home. I told buy whatever appealed to him so long as it was inside the city limits. He bought a modest condo in the Thomas Circle area for about $200K. He sold it eight years later for just under $600K, and all he did was maintain the property, no upgrades, just kept it good shape. He's not the only person who experienced that...scores of the junior staff in my firm did the same thing, buying either a condo or rowhouse.

D.C.

Were I that individual, I'd rue my situation's having resulted from my fateful choice that evening as well as my not having thought beforehand, while I was in home area, to gas-up. My doing so does not, however, evince there being endemic violence of that sort in D.C. D.C., like any locale, has its bad sections and ne'er do wells.

D.C.

A "Negro"???? What century are you living in?
OT:
I read that and thought "really?" I was going to remark upon it, but I didn't because it and the member's use of that term isn't really germane to thread topic. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you did, but I don't want to have a conversation about the word or anyone's use of it. For now and for me, those two things will just have to be what they are.

Damascus, Virginia. My hometown.

I own one of those mountains. Not tellin which one. Well, maybe one and one half.

damaerial1.jpg
Moving to VA, probably Shenandoah Valley area. Any recommendations in VA besides Damascus?

From a place to be at, you can't beat where I am at now in San Diego County. Only 5 places in the world have the perfect weather of San Diego city. The county has every climate zone of the world but two - tropic and arctic. Moving away but only because we want to experience the world a little more.
Morning go sailing.
aVFu_dWwtlDIuKoExcKk-2-1249317150000.jpg

Go visit one of the worlds largest telescopes later in the morning.
IcyConditions.jpg

Go play in the desert in the afternoon.
DJI00041-1024x576.jpg

Go home and watch the sunset with a glass of local wine.
20622336_10155101479284261_2232979456266278260_n.jpg

Forum List

Back