You won’t believe how little $8.25 an hour buys

'My House shall be called a House of Prayer; But you are making it a Robber's Den.' - Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

That sums up what greedy hateful Republicans are doing to our Nation. Yet most of them truly believe they're 'Good Christians.' Boy are they wrong.
Translation~ you are a victim and it's all whities fault your life sucks

Cry me a river and look into Pell grants, vote republican to lower your taxes, shop at thrift stores and work your ass off at Micky D`s , build up a resume while you go to night school

My coworkers 26 year old daughter who is a nurse aid just got a job down here in South Carolina for $30 bucks an hour.

You are not good people. Your hate & greed consumes you. You've made this Country a Robber's Den. Shame on you.
drivel , nonsense anyone can be a millionaire in this country if you wanted it. My dad did I didn't want it.

Yes, Wal Mart and their low profit margin business will do fine.

It is hilarious that anyone would even think to fear monger over how well wal mart will be able to handle a minimum wage increase.

Who fear mongered? Where?
I just put real numbers to your claim that Wal Mart is fairly profitable.

OK so we all agree your comment had no connection to the conversation. Great.

If you think a 3.5% profit margin is "fairly profitable".....great.

Walmart is currently expanding in the U.S. So i'm pretty sure the Walton Family's doing pretty well. What do you think?

Yup, the Walton family is loaded.

'My House shall be called a House of Prayer; But you are making it a Robber's Den.' - Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

That sums up what greedy hateful Republicans are doing to our Nation. Yet most of them truly believe they're 'Good Christians.' Boy are they wrong.

Cry me a river and look into Pell grants, vote republican to lower your taxes, shop at thrift stores and work your ass off at Micky D`s , build up a resume while you go to night school

My coworkers 26 year old daughter who is a nurse aid just got a job down here in South Carolina for $30 bucks an hour.

You are not good people. Your hate & greed consumes you. You've made this Country a Robber's Den. Shame on you.
drivel , nonsense anyone can be a millionaire in this country if you wanted it. My dad did I didn't want it.

Most of you greedy hateful white dudes are just victims of evil Corporate Propaganda. You truly believe it's all the poor peoples'/workers' fault. You've been brainwashed. Try to let go of that hate & greed. Pray for strength and repent.

Most of you greedy hateful white dudes are just victims of evil Corporate Propaganda. You truly believe it's all the poor peoples'/workers' fault. You've been brainwashed. Try to let go of that hate & greed. Pray for strength and repent.

So what is the excuse for all you greedy hateful black dudes?

It is hilarious that anyone would even think to fear monger over how well wal mart will be able to handle a minimum wage increase.

Walmart is currently expanding in the U.S. So i'm pretty sure the Walton Family's doing pretty well. What do you think?

It's always very telling when observing greedy white Republican dude boasting about Walmart. It really does say it all. Walmart represents greedy white Republican dude perfectly.

It's always very telling when observing greedy white Republican dude boasting about Walmart. It really does say it all. Walmart represents greedy white Republican dude perfectly.

It's always very telling when observing greedy white Republican dude boasting about Walmart.

Boast: talk with excessive pride and self-satisfaction about one's achievements, possessions, or abilities.

Nope, you're wrong, again.

Not anyone. Only those with the motivation and brain power can.

However, there are lots of stupid people in this country who just can't ( for whatever reason) figure it out.

What's the plan for those?

Walmart provides low prices to low income people. It also provides jobs for those same people. If you stay with them you can get in on their profit sharing program. But, yes the owners are rich, so nothing else matters to you fricken libtards.

25,000 MILLION DOLLARS, WAS WAL-MART'S pre tax income....last year

So what? Can you tell us how many millions they paid in federal, state, and local taxes? Can you tell us how much their employees and shareholders paid in federal, state, and local taxes?

Walmart provides low prices to low income people. It also provides jobs for those same people. If you stay with them you can get in on their profit sharing program. But, yes the owners are rich, so nothing else matters to you fricken libtards.

Walmart represents pure evil. Just like greedy white Republican dudes do. It's no coincidence they're always boasting about it.

Walmart represents pure evil. Just like greedy white Republican dudes do. It's no coincidence they're always boasting about it.

Nigga please.

Nigga please.

Ha, greedy white Republican dudes sure loves they somes Walmart. Makes perfect sense. Worshipping evil. Go figure?

Nigga please.

Ha, greedy white Republican dudes sure loves they somes Walmart. Makes perfect sense. Worshipping evil. Go figure?

I saw plenty of bruthas in there the last time I went. Some of them were even working there.
It would probably be a step up from your fry basket work.
Maybe you should apply?

Wages continue to decrease or stay stagnant. Meanwhile, the cost of living continues to skyrocket. I know greedy hateful white Republican dude gets a boner over that, but others actually care. We do have a serious problem.

The Republican hate & hostility towards American Workers is appalling. American Workers know not to turn to them for any help. They're forced to turn to the other Party. That's gonna really haunt the Republicans in the future.

are you really that dumb? the problems you bitch about have all been caused by dem and lib policies.

there is no republican hate and hostility to workers-------thats total bullshit.

what is true is that the dems want american workers to be slaves of the state.

It's not Democrats who keep blocking attempts to raise the minimum wage. It's not Dems who fight against legislation to protect workers, or to provide vacation time, maternity leave and other protections which are in place in every other first world nation.

W raised the earned income credit rather than increase the minimum wage, shifting the responsibility for employee compensation from corporations to taxpayers. Jeb Bush had said he supports doing the same.

Raising the minimum wage in this country isn't going to increase the average wage of low income workers. It will only put some of them on the unemployment line. Sealing the border and keeping out illegal immigrants who are willing to work for peanuts is the solution to the problem. Democrats are the main obstruction to getting that done.

If it were left up to you folks, Workers wouldn't have Vacation time, Overtime Pay, Maternity Leave, and most other worker protections you yourself enjoy today. You guys fought against those things tooth & nail. So why again should American Workers support the Republican Party?

Most of those things only hurt workers. Minimum wage means a lot of low skill workers are going to be unemployed, especially teenagers and college students. Overtime means employees will have their earnings reduced because employers don't want to pay overtime. They'll hire times or increase staff rather than allow their employees to work more than 40 hours a week. Maternity leave means that women of child-bearing age won't get a job because the employer is worried that they will get pregnant while on the job, and then he'll have to hire two employees to fill one position.

The one thing we know that has hurt workers more than anything is the flood if illegal aliens from third world countries that are willing to work for peanuts. They have been depressing American wages for the last 15 years and are the main reason for the stagnating wages of the bottom 80% income quintiles. And we know who is responsible for that: Democrats. The top 1% isn’t responsible. Republicans aren’t responsible. Democrats are the ones to blame.

The claim that Democrats care about workers is the lie of the century.

Nigga please.

can you give us a list on US corporations that are not "evil" ? Or is it your contention that every rich or successful person is evil? BTW, Oprah is a corporation, is she evil?

Walmart wrote the book on driving down wages. Their practice of undercutting prices until competitors are driven out of business is part of it. So is their kindness is helping employees qualify for food stamps and Medicaid while articles in business publications tout them as the second most profitable company in the U.S. They are also known for "encouraging" suppliers to move to off-shore manufacturing in order to cut their prices. Last but not least, because they are the largest retail employer in the U.S., almost entire retail industry segment of the economy adopted similar practices and wage structures in order to remain competitive.

Walmart wrote the book on driving down wages. Their practice of undercutting prices until competitors are driven out of business is part of it. So is their kindness is helping employees qualify for food stamps and Medicaid while articles in business publications tout them as the second most profitable company in the U.S. They are also known for "encouraging" suppliers to move to off-shore manufacturing in order to cut their prices. Last but not least, because they are the largest retail employer in the U.S., almost entire retail industry segment of the economy adopted similar practices and wage structures in order to remain competitive.

Their practice of undercutting prices until competitors are driven out of business is part of it.

OMG! They're giving their customers lower prices?
Bastards!
LOL!

Their practice of undercutting prices until competitors are driven out of business is part of it.

OMG! They're giving their customers lower prices?
Bastards!
LOL!

No company ever did that! It's the end of the world!

Walmart is small potatoes compared to the real problem: mass importation of immigrants from third world countries. All this blather about Walmart is a deliberate distraction. The main reason wage growth has been stagnant is uncontrolled immigration - a policy that lying vermin like you support whole hog. Immigrants take almost all the new jobs in this country. We all know people who have lost their jobs because Mexicans or Indians are willing to do it for far less. Walmart isn't hurting the working poor, Democrats are by opening the floodgates to legal and illegal immigration. Democrats are the ones stabbing the working man in the back, not Walmart, not Donald Trump, not the Koch brothers, not the 1%. Democrats are 00% responsible for the problem.

The claim that Democrats care about the working man is a sick practical joke.

You won t believe how little 8.25 an hour buys Oxfam America First Person Blog
Disgusting that this is possible in the "richest country in the world"
movie-theater-minimum-wage-US_web-1220x763.jpg
Cleaning the movie theater is part of my daughter's duties. But does her job actually pay enough to live on? Photo: Mary Babic/Oxfam America
27Tweet

54Like

1+1

For my hard-working family and friends who earn just above the US minimum wage, a paycheck doesn’t go very far.

My daughter struck it lucky when she landed a job for $8.25 an hour at the local movie theater. They pay 25 cents more than the Massachusetts minimum wage (which is already 75 cents more than the federal wage); they don’t charge her for the monogrammed black polo shirt that constitutes her uniform (unlike some businesses); they let her know her hours a few days ahead; and they are, simply put, nice people: film nerds who enjoy keeping an independent theater alive, who don’t mind if she reads a book while sitting in the box office and waiting for the next rush.

Still, it’s a business. Her hours each week never mount up to the point where they’d be responsible for her healthcare (30 hours a week or more); her schedule varies widely; when it’s slow, they let her go (and it’s been a slow year for movies). And, to reiterate: they pay $8.25 an hour.

You can’t blame them; they’re generous at paying more than the legally required wage. But it is, even for my daughter, a measly wage. She lives at home, but she’s scraping together savings for college, living very simply, contributing to the household.

So what her earnings really translate to? I wondered, after seeing this helpful and harrowing piece on What Life Really Costs at $7.25 an Hour.

First, there’s transportation. After taxes, she brings home $7.62 an hour. Last week, after working for 27 hours (and commuting for about 8 hours), she got a check for $205.71. Just to get there and back: Slice the bus fare off the top (2.10 each way; 4.20 round trip; times four): 205.71 – 16.80 = 188.91.

A sandwich = one hour’s work. Some days, when her shift stretches longer than eight hours, she gets a plain chicken sandwich at the place next door: 7.43 (with tax). So she works a full hour to buy a sandwich. Without a drink.

A book = three hours. She loves books and music, and we visit the library every week. But sometimes she likes to buy the ones she loves the very most. Her favorite graphic novelist, Emily Carroll, just published a beautiful new book, Through the Woods. On Amazon, discounted, it’s $18.10. So she worked almost three hours to buy it.

Work shoes cost a day’s pay. We do most of our shopping at Goodwill, but every once in a while, she indulges. She really needed a good pair of shoes as she stands most of the time at work. She got a cheap pair of Nikes at around $50: Basically, a day’s pay.

And what about college tuition? Again, she got lucky: Smith College offered her a whopping scholarship, covering about half the cost. Which left her with a bill of (only) $24,000 for a year, not counting books, art supplies, etc.

So if she wants to cover one year of college – at this deeply discounted price – she’s going to work 3150 hours. Or 61 hours a week for a year. If she wants to go for the full four years… it would take 12,598 hours. Of course, she couldn’t eat. Or pay rent, take the bus, buy shoes, or get her hair cut. At least she can go to the movies…

So she’s lucky in some ways. But so many workers do not enjoy her luck. In fact, the vast majority of low-wage workers do not match this “Poster Child” profile of the minimum wage worker.

epi-min-wage-chart.jpg

Source: the Economic Policy Institute.
Indeed, the average age of low-wage workers is 35. A third have dependent children at home. In our (extremely fortunate)Congressional district, 34,000 working families are using food stamps, and 71,000 are living below the poverty line .

Who is satisfied working part time at a Walmart or Mc Donald's, I thought this administration was boasting strong economic numbers and job reports? Are we not building a middle class behind a strong "skilled" workforce, full-time employment, with an increasing household income as we were led to believe?

Forum List

Back