You know, I said to my wife when the sitmulus package was being talked about

ConHog

Rookie
Jun 4, 2010
Why doesn't Obama just give each household in the US $50K and be done with it? It would have been cheaper and done a whole lot more for the economy than what we've gotten the last 2 years. In fact he could have given each family $100K and still came out ahead.....

Why doesn't Obama just give each household in the US $50K and be done with it? It would have been cheaper and done a whole lot more for the economy than what we've gotten the last 2 years. In fact he could have given each family $100K and still came out ahead.....

That must have been the period of time when you thought Obama was actually trying help the nation, instead of controlling it through creating a dependence on govenment, so we have tyranny, then revolution, then a dictatorship...

That may have been worse actually. We would have seen hyperinflation for sure. The bankers are essentially sitting on the money right now...

LMAO! You weren't the only thinking/wondering about that. What we got was hope and change :lol:

:eusa_eh:Fucking genius. You should run for POTUS with Caribou Barbie!

• Banned

Thanks for another great contribution.

If Obama is the future mark for intelligence from our Presidents, I will be moving.

If Obama is the future mark for intelligence from our Presidents, I will be moving.

Please don't let the door hit you in the ass. BTW, check with your latest USMC recruiter. They will PAY for you to go to Iraq or Afghanistan!

Where? Good luck getting through immigration at any other civilized country. Canada? Australia? New Zealand?

I've looked into moving and working at any of them. Unless you have a specialized skill their government says is in demand you could live there but not work anywhere.

Protectionism rules. :clap2:

• Banned

Please don't let the door hit you in the ass. BTW, check with your latest USMC recruiter. They will PAY for you to go to Iraq or Afghanistan!

I've already been to Iraq twice thanks. Unlike you , I'm willing to do more than just throw up on a keyboard for my country.

Where? Good luck getting through immigration at any other civilized country. Canada? Australia? New Zealand?

I've looked into moving and working at any of them. Unless you have a specialized skill their government says is in demand you could live there but not work anywhere.

Protectionism rules. :clap2:

Actually, my wife and I are seriously looking at moving to Brazil. She's an attorney and I'm retired. We certainly don't intend to surrender our US citizenship or or home here, With the miracle of direct deposit my military retirement will be just as available in Brazil as it would be here in Arkansas.

I've already been to Iraq twice thanks. Unlike you , I'm willing to do more than just throw up on a keyboard for my country.

Uh....yeah...

That may have been worse actually. We would have seen hyperinflation for sure. The bankers are essentially sitting on the money right now...

Someone else finally sees this? It's not that the banks don't have money, it's that they can't lend it right now because people can't qualify for it.

I think if people looked at all the factors, they'd see that this country is setting itself up for a major economic expansion. Responsible citizens are positioning themselves better by cutting back on luxury expenses and improving their creditworthiness by eliminating some unnecessary debt. When those people are ready to go out and borrow again, there's going to be a LOT of cash flowing back through the economy. These things will all happen in due time, but what this government is trying to do is force the hands of people. They want to create a surge in spending by handing out money to those who are not responsible enough to maintain the spending. What this creates is short surges in economic activity, which we have seen over the past few months. Eventually, though, we'll start to see a long, sustainable period of growth. All the government spending and stimulus bills in the world can't create economic recoveries, they can only buoy a bad economy long enough for the economy to naturally correct itself. This is Econ 101, and it's clear a lot of politicians never took that class.

I don't think that would've worked. The problem with the recession isn't *exactly* that people don't have money, but that people aren't spending their money. Under the recession climate, there'd be a high chance that most of that $50K would just be stashed, or in other words, people would have more money, but one would still run the risk that they would not spend it because there's an incentive for them to save it - so it wouldn't stimulate anything. The government on the other hand doesn't have that incentive to save it, it will just spend it*, because that's the entire point of a stimulus in the first place.

*Of course, that's THEORETICALLY speaking.

I don't think that would've worked. The problem with the recession isn't *exactly* that people don't have money, but that people aren't spending their money. Under the recession climate, there'd be a high chance that most of that $50K would just be stashed, or in other words, people would have more money, but one would still run the risk that they would not spend it because there's an incentive for them to save it - so it wouldn't stimulate anything. The government on the other hand doesn't have that incentive to save it, it will just spend it*, because that's the entire point of a stimulus in the first place.

*Of course, that's THEORETICALLY speaking.

You MIGHT be right, but I tend to believe that most families would be spending that money on things. Sure they might be on essentials, but that's ok to. Of course some people would probably have done as you suggest and socked that money away, but given the saving habits of Americans, I doubt it would be many of them.

Uh....yeah...

Uh yeah, I just retired from the National Guard, where I was full time and served in Iraq in 1991 and again in 2003. I also spent 2006 on the Mexican border. Whether you believe or not is irrelevant to me.

Of course some people would probably have done as you suggest and socked that money away, but given the saving habits of Americans, I doubt it would be many of them.

That could be true as well :)

Hell, he could have killed two birds with one stone and just paid GM enough to purchase one new GM vehicle of the buyer's choice ,one for each family in the USA. That would be what? A million vehicles sold?

Forum List

Back