"You didn't get there on your own"

Obama is taking an interesting and dangerous approach on the campaign trail, telling successful business owners that they "didn't get there on their own", that their success is predicated in part on the labor and efforts (and taxes) of others. This gives the GOP an opening to say, "see, he hates business owners, we told you so."

On the other hand, it opens up a national conversation that I've never seen before, building on Elizabeth Warren's comments as she runs for office.

This tactic is flying right into the teeth of the GOP's strength, that business and employers are the key to economic success. He's betting that the GOP, so controlled by absolutists right now, is going to look anti-ALL workers, not just union.

Pretty brave, and I think it's a good conversation to have.

Obama Mocks Rich: 'You Didn't Get There On Your Own'

They may not do it entirely on their own, but how does that entitle the federal government to anything they earn? The federal government doesn't buy what they produce. They pay far more int taxes than the value of the services they receive from the government.

This argument is just another rationalization for parasites to take another bite from the hides of productive Americans.

What I'm not sure about is the context. I'm assuming that this is part of the argument for higher taxes on the wealthy, which would fall under what you're saying. Essentially that the wealthy, whom conservatives say are the job creators, owe it to their employees to even things out more than they are.

My point is that this approach seems new, and that it flies right in the face of what Republicans feel is their strength. An example of this working in the opposite direction would have been if Romney had told the NAACP, obviously a Dem stronghold, that they need to challenge American blacks to take more responsibility. Imagine the response he would have received.

In both cases, it's a conversation worth having.

But the president is also telling the truth; their success is predicated not only on the labor and efforts of others, but on the public sector’s contributions as well. From providing roads to transport raw materials and fished products, to educating and training their workforce, and yes, to the regulatory policy that protects business from its worst enemy: itself.

Public sector doesn't PROVIDE anything.

It takes. Then administers. Poorly.

Obama is taking an interesting and dangerous approach on the campaign trail, telling successful business owners that they "didn't get there on their own", that their success is predicated in part on the labor and efforts (and taxes) of others. This gives the GOP an opening to say, "see, he hates business owners, we told you so."
Perhaps.

But the president is also telling the truth; their success is predicated not only on the labor and efforts of others, but on the public sector’s contributions as well. From providing roads to transport raw materials and fished products, to educating and training their workforce, and yes, to the regulatory policy that protects business from its worst enemy: itself.

You fail to mention that business owners paid their share for those roads. You also fail to mention that businesses that ship freight over the roads pay higher taxes for the use of those roads than do the average driver.

And I don't but any finished goods from the government because the government doesn't produce finished goods.

As far as education goes I haven't had too many employees that I didn't have to provide some remedial training for. In fact i find that most HS grads can barely spell or do simple math. I spend hours every week correcting mistakes on the day sheets and sales reports.

And regulatory policy does not help businesses it just makes it more expensive to stay open therefore it makes your products and services more expensive.

National Road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Road

Construction of the Cumberland Road (which later became part of the National Road) was authorized on March 29, 1806, by President Thomas Jefferson. The Cumberland Road would replace the Braddock Road for travel between the Potomac and Ohio Rivers, following roughly the same alignment until just east of Uniontown, Pennsylvania. From there, where the Braddock Road turned north to Pittsburgh, the Cumberland Road would continue west to Wheeling, West Virginia (then part of Virginia), also on the Ohio River.

The contract for the construction of the first section was awarded to Henry McKinley on May 8, 1811,[3] and construction began later that year, with the road reaching Wheeling on August 1, 1818

I own commercial property fronting the original National Road.

Fully leased.

For sale.

Cheap.

:D

So, business should thank government for not taking more of what isn't theirs in the first place?

And just who is paying for this "labor and effort of others"?

Just like a republican to have such a narcissistic and self-centered point of view.
They cannot admit that it takes more than an idea to have it work.
If you think your hard-work alone and your money alone makes a business thrive then you have the narcissistic attitude and reality in now way shape or form can make you see the truth.

Republican? I'm a business owner, fighting to keep what I've earned by among other things paying for the labor and effort of others. You think there's no "labor and effort" in owning and operating a business? Typical of a democrat.

To democrats, you owe them for the very air you breathe.

When did making money in this country become a crime? I thought the whole IDEA was to achieve and succeeed. Just because a few have nots are jealous their thing didn't work out is no reason to condemn the rest of the country to standing in line for Gov't hand outs.

Obama has done NOTHING for this country except attempting to make us more dependent on Big Gov.

In Nov, out he goes!!

who runs the sewer systems that keep the private business owners land from filling with shit or flooding when it rains?

who polices the area to make sure they dont get robbbed.

who would put the fire out if it caught fire?

How would the customer get to the property if the roads where not there?

who teaches the kids that grow up to be their employees?

Why is it republicans dont want to take part in society?

who runs the sewer systems that keep the private business owners land from filling with shit or flooding when it rains?

All provided by pre-paid tax dollars by those working to succeed and business to be administered poorly by .gov in most cases.

Who's the black private dick
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?

Who is the man
That would risk his neck for his brother man?

Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's danger all about?

Yeah Right TM
No Republican ever pays taxes.
Prove that Republicans pay zero taxes.

Forum List

Back