You didnt build that!

And before that:

Roanoke knows something about transportation -- this was a railroad hub for a long time. So you know how important that is to growing an economy. Let’s take some of that money and rebuild our roads and our bridges and our rail systems, and let’s build wireless networks into rural communities so everybody can tap into world markets. Let’s put construction workers back to work doing what they do best and that is rebuilding America. That’s why I’m running for a second term as President of the United States. That’s the choice you face. (Applause.)

I’m running to make sure that our kids are getting the best education in the world. When I came into office, we passed a tuition tax credit that has saved millions of families thousands of dollars, and now I want to extend it. But I don’t want to stop there. We just won a fight thanks to some of the folks who are here, including students from VT that -- we just won a fight to make sure that student loan interest rates would not double.

But that’s not enough. I want to lower tuition to make it more affordable for all young people. (Applause.) I want to help our elementary schools and our middle schools and our high schools hire more teachers, especially in math and science. I want 2 million more people to be able to go to community colleges to get trained in the jobs that businesses are hiring for right now -- because a higher education, a good education is not a luxury, it is an economic necessity. That’s how we’re going to win the race for the future. And that’s why I’m running for a second term as President -- to finish the job we started in 2008. (Applause.)

We’ve got to deal with homeownership, and the fact of the matter is that my opponent’s philosophy when it comes to dealing with homeowners is, let the market bottom out and let as many foreclosures happen as it takes. I don’t think that’s part of a solution -- that’s part of the problem.

So what I want to do is, I want to let every single person refinance their homes and save about $3,000 a year because you’ll spend that $3,000 on some of these stores right here in downtown. You’ll help small businesses and large businesses grow because they’ll have more customers. It will be good for you and it will be good for the economy. And that’s why I’m running for a second term as President -- because I want to help America’s homeowners. (Applause.)

I am running because I still believe that you shouldn’t go bankrupt when you get sick. We passed that health care law because it was the right thing to do. (Applause.) And because we did, 30 million people who don’t have health insurance are going to get help getting health insurance. (Applause.) Six million young people who didn’t have health insurance can now stay on their parent’s plan and get health insurance.

Seniors are seeing their prescription drug costs go down. And, by the way, if you’ve got health insurance, you’re not getting hit by a tax. The only thing that’s happening to you is that you now have more security because insurance companies can’t drop you when you get sick. (Applause.) And they can’t mess around with you because of some fine print in your policy. If you’re paying your policy, you will get the deal that you paid for. That’s why we passed health care reform. (Applause.)

Now, one last thing -- one of the biggest differences is how we pay down our debt and our deficit. My opponent, Mr. Romney’s plan is he wants to cut taxes another $5 trillion on top of the Bush tax cuts.

AUDIENCE: Booo --

THE PRESIDENT: Well, first of all, like I said, the only way you can pay for that -- if you’re actually saying you’re bringing down the deficit -- is to cut transportation, cut education, cut basic research, voucherize Medicare, and you’re still going to end up having to raise taxes on middle-class families to pay for this $5 trillion tax cut. That’s not a deficit reduction plan. That’s a deficit expansion plan.

I’ve got a different idea. I do believe we can cut -- we’ve already made a trillion dollars’ worth of cuts. We can make some more cuts in programs that don’t work, and make government work more efficiently. (Applause.) Not every government program works the way it’s supposed to. And frankly, government can’t solve every problem. If somebody doesn’t want to be helped, government can’t always help them. Parents -- we can put more money into schools, but if your kids don’t want to learn it’s hard to teach them. (Applause.)

But you know what, I’m not going to see us gut the investments that grow our economy to give tax breaks to me or Mr. Romney or folks who don’t need them. So I’m going to reduce the deficit in a balanced way. We’ve already made a trillion dollars’ worth of cuts. We can make another trillion or trillion-two, and what we then do is ask for the wealthy to pay a little bit more. (Applause.) And, by the way, we’ve tried that before -- a guy named Bill Clinton did it. We created 23 million new jobs, turned a deficit into a surplus, and rich people did just fine. We created a lot of millionaires.

OR:

I know, let's cut taxes on the bloated rich, destroy Medicare and health reform, raise taxes and fees on the nonrich, let corporate cheats run wild, cut aid to states and localities, raise military spending to more than the rest of the world combined, and worry about the debt in 2035. Absolute idiocy, dupes

I could see an argument for saying his whole speech could be summed up as "you didn't build it on your own". However pulling that single line where he directly refers to roads and bridges and suggesting its otherwise, is silly.

I could see an argument for saying his whole speech could be summed up as "you didn't build it on your own". However pulling that single line where he directly refers to roads and bridges and suggesting its otherwise, is silly.

He said what he said in the context of justifying higher taxation on job creators. There's no way around that. And to add insult to injury, his pathetic panacea for all that ails our economy, raising taxes on the so-called "rich", would result in a measly 28 billion annually. So it's a big, fat bull patty anyway. Just the interest on our debt is approaching the half-trillion mark.

Oh very shortly after saying "you didn't build that" he says "the point is" and reaffirms that there was a society that helped him/her.

I linked the full video. I even tried to start it to where people wouldn't have to listen to the whole thing again just to the meat of what we are talking about.

But... *shrugs*

I posted his words IN CONTEXT, your ignorance is not my issue "everybody knows that"

Obama: If You've Got A Business, You Didn't Build That - YouTube

Here's is the video of his words, the context is clear:

Obama: If You've Got A Business, You Didn't Build That - YouTube

Only stupid people will watch this and agree with you. Others will agree with you because they are liars.

Sorry kid, no.

I was watching his speech when he said it, I knew exactly what he meant...and yes I posted his words exactly as he said them.

This statement is going to cost him the election because Americans don't believe the Gov is their mommy and daddy.

Issue solved; you're a liar (and very very stupid if you believe anyone will believe your biased interpretation of The President).

Excuse me? Here is the transcript of what he said from the White House website.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

That clearly does not refer to rads and bridges, if it referred did he would have said those.

Last edited:
So i saw a Romney/Ryan ad that said "You did build that business!" ... It got me wondering...Is the "you didn't build that" slogan, Obamas "I can see Russia from my backyard" ?

omg. Really??? :wtf:

"You didn't build that"
were the ACTUAL WORDS out of Obama's mouth. And there's no context which improves upon it. It's the plainest accounting of the left's ideological position imaginable. In fact, Mitt Romney put the whole statement, including the lead-in right on his website. THAT's how damning the context is.

"I can see Russia from my house" was said by... Tina Fey, in a parody on TV. :rolleyes:
My post has pictures if you need it.

He said, "you didn't build that" and all the rest but that's not what he meant.
His wife said it was the first time she'd been proud to be an American but she didn't mean it.
His publisher, wife, grandmother and brother have all said he was born in Kenya but they didn't mean it.
He referred to conservative Americans as "our enemies" but he later apologized and really didn't mean it.
He told the Russians he'd have more "flexibility" after the election but taking a position now that might jeopardize his reelection really shouldn't matter to we the people.
He left Netanyahu to sit in his room while he went and ate with Michelle and the girls telling him to let him know when he had something new to say but he's been the most pro-Israeli American president in modern history.
He told us if his stimulus plan wasn't approved by the end of the week we'd see widespread economic upheaval by the middle of the next week and then after it was passed he took off for a four day vacation before signing it.
He...you know what, fuck it.
Roll the uber-clever "tribal monkey" bullshit and let's call it good.

Oh very shortly after saying "you didn't build that" he says "the point is" and reaffirms that there was a society that helped him/her.

I linked the full video. I even tried to start it to where people wouldn't have to listen to the whole thing again just to the meat of what we are talking about.

But... *shrugs*

Bullshit, you're a hack (and not a very bright one).

Sorry kid, no.

I was watching his speech when he said it, I knew exactly what he meant...and yes I posted his words exactly as he said them.

This statement is going to cost him the election because Americans don't believe the Gov is their mommy and daddy.

Issue solved; you're a liar (and very very stupid if you believe anyone will believe your biased interpretation of The President).

Actually it is you that is a liar.
(shrugs)

The context immediately AFTER you didn't build is Gov, and 1 line later is Gov.....you lose monkey.

So i saw a Romney/Ryan ad that said "You did build that business!" ... It got me wondering...Is the "you didn't build that" slogan, Obamas "I can see Russia from my backyard" ?

You do realize that Palin never claimed to be able to see Russia, don't you?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXL86v8NoGk]Palin on her insight into Russian Politics - YouTube[/ame]
What part of "You can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska." is untrue, Greenbeard?

This was not an original Obama idea, he just copied the squaw. I tried to tell you all that earlier.

"There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody. You built a factory out there - good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory... Now look. You built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea - God Bless! Keep a Big Hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along." - Elizabeth Warren

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOyDR2b71ag]Elizabeth Warren on Fair Taxation - YouTube[/ame]

This meme just didn't work out, for either of them. :)

omg. Really??? :wtf:

"You didn't build that"
were the ACTUAL WORDS out of Obama's mouth. And there's no context which improves upon it. It's the plainest accounting of the left's ideological position imaginable. In fact, Mitt Romney put the whole statement, including the lead-in right on his website. THAT's how damning the context is.

"I can see Russia from my house" was said by... Tina Fey, in a parody on TV. :rolleyes:
My post has pictures if you need it.

He said, "you didn't build that" and all the rest but that's not what he meant.
yeah.... When people say "the point is" it's not the point they are trying to make. That would just be silly.

His wife said it was the first time she'd been proud to be an American but she didn't mean it.
Oh no... that was stupid.

His publisher, wife, grandmother and brother have all said he was born in Kenya but they didn't mean it.
Eh... Ok.

He referred to conservative Americans as "our enemies" but he later apologized and really didn't mean it.
The apology or the enemy bit? Or both?

He told the Russians he'd have more "flexibility" after the election but taking a position now that might jeopardize his reelection really shouldn't matter to we the people.
Yeah... Obama is a shit president...

Roll the uber-clever "tribal monkey" bullshit and let's call it good.
So you think that because he was wrong about other stuff.... then he's wrong about everything?

I'm sorry... A lot of shit you just said... Hey slam him on... I got no beef with that. But the "you didn't build that" taken out of context is bullshit. That is a Retarded Tribal Monkey not looking at it as it should be.

I want intelligent debate. With that kind of idiocy I'm not going to get it. I repeat, this is right there with Romney's "I like to fire people"... If that was in this thread I'd be jumping on that as well... Actually... I guess I did even with it not being the thread.

I don't like Obama... I don't like Willard... But I will address things I find stupid just like everyone else. I linked the full video... Watch it or don't. If you still disagree with me on this "you didn't build that" issue... That's fine. Please don't tell me about it. I don't like thinking people are stupid.

Last edited:

But... *shrugs*

Bullshit, you're a hack (and not a very bright one).
Opinions vary... Pictures in the post if you need them.

Actually it is you that is a liar.
(shrugs)

The context immediately AFTER you didn't build is Gov, and 1 line later is Gov.....you lose monkey.

The context is the entire paragraph, only a hack parses The President's comments to fit their agenda.

A paragraph is a distinct portion of written or printed matter dealing with a particular idea, usually beginning with an indentation on a new line. Of course you may now choose to parse my comment for the 'paragraph' in question was spoken. Please do so if it makes you feel relevant.

This was not an original Obama idea, he just copied the squaw. I tried to tell you all that earlier.

"There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody. You built a factory out there - good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory... Now look. You built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea - God Bless! Keep a Big Hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along." - Elizabeth Warren

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOyDR2b71ag]Elizabeth Warren on Fair Taxation - YouTube[/ame]

This meme just didn't work out, for either of them. :)
There you go... Now feel free to disagree with her or Obama about that. I got no beef with that. In many ways I agree. In fact I don't want a corporate tax but that's another thread. But they are obviously not talking about the business of it.

I'm sorry... A lot of shit you just said... Hey slam him on... I got no beef with that. But the "you didn't build that" taken out of context is bullshit. That is a Retarded Tribal Monkey not looking at it as it should be.

I want intelligent debate. With that kind of idiocy I'm not going to get it. I repeat, this is right there with Romney's "I like to fire people"... If that was in this thread I'd be jumping on that as well... Actually... I guess I did even with it not being the thread.

I don't like Obama... I don't like Willard... But I will address things I find stupid just like everyone else. I linked the full video... Watch it or don't. If you still disagree with me on this "you didn't build that" issue... That's fine. Please don't tell me about it. I don't like thinking people are stupid.

I've watched the full clip countless times as I've done my very best to write his ridiculously pro-government/anti-American individualism statement off as any of the creative interpretations offered by you and others since it happened. I simply can't do it.
I was not attempting to "slam" the president, though I do it often and without regret. I was attempting to illustrate how utterly "stupid" it is to sit back and watch as time and time again this clown sticks his foot in it only to have mindless masses jump to compromise their own intellect in offering him cover for the inexplicable.
Obama's all about big government PERIOD! And that statement is nothing more than an unscripted example of how he sees what I unrepentantly see as the greatest nation on earth.
If those with whom you disagree are also seen by you as "stupid" I would suggest you look no further than the nearest mirror for that "tribal monkey" crap you're always touting.

I've watched the full clip countless times as I've done my very best to write his ridiculously pro-government/anti-American individualism statement off as any of the creative interpretations offered by you and others since it happened. I simply can't do it.
I was not attempting to "slam" the president, though I do it often and without regret. I was attempting to illustrate how utterly "stupid" it is to sit back and watch as time and time again this clown sticks his foot in it only to have mindless masses jump to compromise their own intellect in offering him cover for the inexplicable.
Obama's all about big government PERIOD! And that statement is nothing more than an unscripted example of how he sees what I unrepentantly see as the greatest nation on earth.
All that's fine. Hell... Feel free to say it was a stupid thing to bring up in the speech... Hell... I'm good with that. But don't say he was talking about business when it's so blatantly obvious he wasn't if you actually look at it in it's entirety and context.

If those with whom you disagree are also seen by you as "stupid" I would suggest you look no further than the nearest mirror for that "tribal monkey" crap you're always touting.
Yeah... I'm disappointed in you too.

Last edited:

All that's fine. Hell... Feel free to say it was a stupid thing to bring up in the speech... Hell... I'm good with that. But don't say he was talking about business when it's so blatantly obvious he wasn't if you actually look at it in it's entirety and context.

Yeah... I'm disappointed in you too.

Since nothing you say is "intelligent" it makes it quite hard to have that kind of a conversation with you.

The context was Gov had a hand in building everything and without them it can't be done.

Jump little monkey boy.

Forum List

Back