Wouldn't This be Considered Child Abuse.

Yeah, perfect comparison if going for the gold meant being on your own in a dangerous environment for several months.

OMG Sweet Jesus when did people become so fucking stupid as to think a 16 y/o girl should be able to CHOOSE to do something like this?

If you think that please for the sake of your children give them up for adoption, if you haven't any children , please report for sterilization because YOU ARE TOO FUCKING STUPID AND IRRESPONSIBLE TO HAVE KIDS.

I am one of seven kids and I've raised one biological daughter and two stepsons, and I have three grandchildren, so I think I can speak from experience. Each one matured differently and were given different responsibilities at different ages based upon how experienced they were and how much we trusted them. We didn't use a generic rule when we decided what our children were capable of handling. One son got his license at 16 because we knew he was responsible enough to handle it ... the other two didn't get theirs until they were legally adults and we no longer had a say. That same child was very good with guns and bows and did well in competitions ... the other two, nope .... they didn't even like touching them.

Perhaps your children don't exhibit the same qualities that would give you the ability to see why some parents have more confidence in their children than other people have in theirs.

More importantly, after reading some of your posts here, and how immature you sound, I can understand why you would think a 16 yr old isn't mature enough. :doubt:

Regardless of how mature the 16 year old is, she is not legally responsible for herself, unless of course she is an emancipated minor. What's the big deal about waiting 2 more years until she's legally responsible for herself and then she can sail around the world if she wants, it's her life. At 16, it's still the parent's responsibility to keep her safe, even from herself. They failed to do that.

If she were caught and raped and murdered by pirates, would you still be backing those irresponsible parents?

The big deal is that father wanted the record of youngest child to sail around the world. He put his wants above his daughter's safety. NEGLECT and ABUSE.

Who here would do that?

Yeah, perfect comparison if going for the gold meant being on your own in a dangerous environment for several months.

OMG Sweet Jesus when did people become so fucking stupid as to think a 16 y/o girl should be able to CHOOSE to do something like this?

If you think that please for the sake of your children give them up for adoption, if you haven't any children , please report for sterilization because YOU ARE TOO FUCKING STUPID AND IRRESPONSIBLE TO HAVE KIDS.

I am one of seven kids and I've raised one biological daughter and two stepsons, and I have three grandchildren, so I think I can speak from experience. Each one matured differently and were given different responsibilities at different ages based upon how experienced they were and how much we trusted them. We didn't use a generic rule when we decided what our children were capable of handling. One son got his license at 16 because we knew he was responsible enough to handle it ... the other two didn't get theirs until they were legally adults and we no longer had a say. That same child was very good with guns and bows and did well in competitions ... the other two, nope .... they didn't even like touching them.

Perhaps your children don't exhibit the same qualities that would give you the ability to see why some parents have more confidence in their children than other people have in theirs.

More importantly, after reading some of your posts here, and how immature you sound, I can understand why you would think a 16 yr old isn't mature enough. :doubt:

Regardless of how mature the 16 year old is, she is not legally responsible for herself, unless of course she is an emancipated minor. What's the big deal about waiting 2 more years until she's legally responsible for herself and then she can sail around the world if she wants, it's her life. At 16, it's still the parent's responsibility to keep her safe, even from herself. They failed to do that.

If she were caught and raped and murdered by pirates, would you still be backing those irresponsible parents?

If abby has the consent and permission of her parents that is all she needs.

You are asking about two different subjects in one question.
1- i will back the rights of parents with THEIR children.

2 a- If something terrible happened it would be tragic. Both parents and abby understood the dangers.
2-b Are you asking me if i think the decision is fool hardy and stupid the answer is yes.

If abby has the consent and permission of her parents that is all she needs.

You are asking about two different subjects in one question.
1- i will back the rights of parents with THEIR children.

2 a- If something terrible happened it would be tragic. Both parents and abby understood the dangers.
2-b Are you asking me if i think the decision is fool hardy and stupid the answer is yes.

You are PATENTLY wrong. You CAN NOT decide that your child is mature enough to be put into danger if s/he chooses to be. Your job as a parent in fact is to prevent them from doing so.

You are fighting for a RIGHT that you simply don't have. A right is something that is consistent and absolute. If you had the RIGHT to allow your child to do whatever you wished them to do, you could allow your child to quit school at age 14, you could allow your child to drink at age 18. You could allow your child to drive at 14. The fact is you do NOT have that right. The state has already proven that they have the absolute right to intervene on the behalf of children who's parents are neglectful in their parental duties.

Now you can argue this until you are blue in the face , but the simple fact that EVERY state has a department of child services, or it's equivelant, absolutely proves that you do NOT have a right to do as you please with your children.

In my own personal opinion this boils down to what you deem a correct way to parent....

Is it correct to allow the ideological and reactionary types who gave us legislation banning carrying ice cream cones in your back pocket, dictate what is and is not correct in parenting?

I don't think so....

The kid fucked up, the parents fucked up.. No abuse, just ignorant parents who had more money to spend on the kids hobbies and interests than time to spend with her...

If you want to try and make a case for abuse, then make sure you make the same accusation with any other whose kid is raised by coaches, teachers, sailing instructors, etc.. etc...

You are PATENTLY wrong. You CAN NOT decide that your child is mature enough to be put into danger if s/he chooses to be. Your job as a parent in fact is to prevent them from doing so.

Really? Danger? lets try teen sports.

Baseball, basketball, foot ball. cheer leading, soccer. skateboarding, skiing. The list is endless. My onh my rather dangerous don't you think?

You are fighting for a RIGHT that you simply don't have.

I am not fighting for any rights. Abbys parents already have those rights.

A right is something that is consistent and absolute. If you had the RIGHT to allow your child to do whatever you wished them to do, you could allow your child to quit school at age 14,

That is right and have them GED out. OR enroll them in college.

you could allow your child to drink at age 18.
We have covered this it is currently illegal let minors drink. That does not meant that they do not drink on their own.

You could allow your child to drive at 14.

Please take that up with any kid raised on a farm. It happens all the time.

The fact is you do NOT have that right.

The fact is that any parent does

The state has already proven that they have the absolute right to intervene on the behalf of children who's parents are neglectful in their parental duties.

agreed. I still have mine, you still have yours Abbys still have theirs

Now you can argue this until you are blue in the face , but the simple fact that EVERY state has a department of child services, or it's equivelant, absolutely proves that you do NOT have a right to do as you please with your children

Agreed. Within the law and with no laws broken i have every right to do what i see fit for MY children.

Letting a 16 year old sail around the world.:eusa_eh:

Ther is no way I would let my babygirl go on such a journey, but then again, I dont know that young lady. Im sure her parents are second guessing their decision, but that is between them and their God now.

From what I hear, she is very experienced for her age. Grew up on the water.

dang you and that bug....I tried to kill it!

So did I.....twice!!! Thought I killed it the first time and then it came back!! :lol:

As for my own maturity level.... I never denied that I often let debates drag me down to their level. I do it for a few reasons, not the least of which is the sheer joy of calling out dumb people for being dumb. Please don't even act like am I alone, or even in the minority there, b/c we both know that certainly isn't true.

As my 10 year old granddaughter said to a classmate who was trying to intimidate her into joining her clique and said that she needed to act and dress like the rest of the girls in the group ...."but if everyone looks the same, acts the same and talks the same, then no one stands out".

So, tell me again .... why do you not want to stand out and be part of the minority?

The big deal is that father wanted the record of youngest child to sail around the world. He put his wants above his daughter's safety. NEGLECT and ABUSE.

Who here would do that?

If the parents are charged with breaking any laws I am willing to let a jury of their peers decide what the consequences will be.

How fucking lame.

The "age of majority" is an arbitrary legal definition and someone of you are acting like it actually means anything.

Do any of you know history? Do you know how long the idea of adolescence has existed? 100 years ago this wouldn't have been a big deal. Now we want to keep people young as long as possible. It's soooo much easier to market shit no one needs to a 40 year old when they have the maturity of a 13 year old.

Ask yourself why. Seriously, what is the benefit to keeping "young people" young and not responsible for themselves? This has been a trend of the last 100 years. Do you think things have gotten better? Are young people smarter? More responsible? More capable?

Child abuse to let a "kid" experience life? Only in a Liberal world gone mad (er... liberal).

You are correct about this. The expectations of children have changed over the last few years. There is an interesting book entitled Inventing Motherhood which deals with this topic.

Anyone who is as old as I am knows of a situation like my own grandmother's. Her mother died when she was 10 and being the only girl in her farm family she had to assume all the work details that her mother did. She had to stand on a box to be tall enough to reach the counter to cook. She married at 15 as did most girls in those times.

My brother owns and flies his own plane. His son also flies and was flying with my brother there long before he was 'of age.' I don't think he did a solo flight until he was 18, but that was a matter of judgment on my brother's part. However, I could envision him flying solo long before the age of his majority.

The sea and the air are most unforgiving. But our technology surpasses that of years gone by even to the extent of having satellite tracking devices. She was able to get a distress signal out and at this writing has been found, I believe. (I live on a TVA lake which was created from a river and I laugh at these folks here who put GPS systems on their boats when the river only goes two ways. LOL)

If I were going to question judgment of a parent it would be that of Natalie Holloway letting her daughter go to a foreign country on a senior trip and swing in on the bar scene, and not this girl's parents who allowed her to do something she was well prepared to do.

Last edited:
The laws on teenage drinking vary from state to state, and nation to nation. Federal law imposes the no buying alcohol before 21, or else no Federal funds. But in many states children may drink at home with their parents.

The U.S. according to Wiki, is one of the more stricter countries, other than India and of course the Muslim nations. Most of the world considers 18 a reasonable age, some even younger. I suspect that alcoholism rates and the drinking age don't have a strong correlation.

Legal drinking age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cool. so would you let him pilot one alone in the open sea?

How about you give the 11 year old 5 more years and see what he can do at 16. :)

Look, you're already on record as being a horrible potential mother, no need to further prove it.

By the way, did you watch Geraldo tonight? He had family members on screen saying that A) The father pushed the daughter to continue the trip against advice that the weather was too bad and B) he pushed the "Self sufficient child" to continue her journey after the ship had mechanical problems that were hastily and insufficiently repaired.

Nope, no neglect there...............

God you are being an ass on this thread. No need to personally attack people's parenting skills for having a different opinion than you.

Furthermore, did you ever deal with Geraldo in combat? We were *lucky* enough to have him come out and visit us. The guys a fucking ass and a sensationalist. Our FOB took a routine rocket attack and he broadcasted it and made it seem like we were about to be overrun or something.

He was only successful in freaking out all the wives.

How about you give the 11 year old 5 more years and see what he can do at 16. :)

Look, you're already on record as being a horrible potential mother, no need to further prove it.

By the way, did you watch Geraldo tonight? He had family members on screen saying that A) The father pushed the daughter to continue the trip against advice that the weather was too bad and B) he pushed the "Self sufficient child" to continue her journey after the ship had mechanical problems that were hastily and insufficiently repaired.

God you are being an ass on this thread. No need to personally attack people's parenting skills for having a different opinion than you.

Furthermore, did you ever deal with Geraldo in combat? We were *lucky* enough to have him come out and visit us. The guys a fucking ass and a sensationalist. Our FOB took a routine rocket attack and he broadcasted it and made it seem like we were about to be overrun or something.

He's an epic poster at 141 posts per day, so no doubt his own parenting skills are stellar. He's researched it carefully online, I'm sure. :doubt:

Who here would do that?

Wow. That abusive father trained her how to sail for years and then, out of pure self need for recognition, he strapped her to a sail boat, drug her out into the open see, and told her to "sail or swim".

Yeah. That all adds up.

He's an epic poster at 141 posts per day, so no doubt his own parenting skills are stellar. He's researched it carefully online, I'm sure. :doubt:

I am sure that is time that could be better spent somewhere...........................

He put daughter at risk just to cash in on a reality show, what a looser.

Forum List

Back