Wouldn't This be Considered Child Abuse.

No, the young lady was extremely experienced with sailing. It's no more child abuse than other risk taking activities that young people are allowed to participate in. Extreme snowboarding, skiing, climbing, dirtbiking, all those sorts of things can injure, maim, or kill.

No, the young lady was extremely experienced with sailing. It's no more child abuse than other risk taking activities that young people are allowed to participate in. Extreme snowboarding, skiing, climbing, dirtbiking, all those sorts of things can injure, maim, or kill.

I would submit to you that allowing your 16 y/o to do ANY of those things unsupervised, or at least not within EASY distance of help, is stupid, and neglectful.

Geez, I already suspected several of you on this board were fucking idiots, I never dreamed neglectful also applied.

I would submit to you that allowing your 16 y/o to do ANY of those things unsupervised, or at least not within EASY distance of help, is stupid, and neglectful.

Geez, I already suspected several of you on this board were fucking idiots, I never dreamed neglectful also applied.

The fact that you can't discuss this subject without calling people profane insults tells quite a bit about you.

No

Abby Sunderland, Teen Sailor Possibly Lost at Sea - ABC News

What a role model.

I doubt her parents would have let her go if they thought for a second she was'nt prepared.

She obviously was. She knew what to do and how to handle herself in an emergency situation.

I went to Army Parachute school. Doing the parachute thing is easy. It's knowing what to do when something goes wrong that is hard and that's what you spend most of your time training for.

No

What a role model.

I doubt her parents would have let her go if they thought for a second she was'nt prepared.

She obviously was. She knew what to do and how to handle herself in an emergency situation.

I went to Army Parachute school. Doing the parachute thing is easy. It's knowing what to do when something goes wrong that is hard and that's what you spend most of your time training for.

And the fact that she survived this adventure shows that she knew what to do.

PS - The overwhelming scientific evidence shows that children simply aren't capable of rationalizing decisions the way adults are, no matter how "mature" they may seem. This is borne out by the fact that most stated are going to graduated DL where as the child gets older they are given more freedoms with their vehicle.

That's more than consensus, it's just physiological fact. The brain undergoes it's last developmental stage in the mid-20s and that is for higher logical functions like risk assessment. Their is a reason 18 year olds and 25 year olds look at risk differently.

By your logic, maybe we should raise the draft age to 25 so people can fully assess the consequences of military service.

Or maybe that's why it's 18.

No

What a role model.

And the fact that she survived this adventure shows that she knew what to do.

Yeah, I don't really see the problem. Sailing the open ocean is inherently risky and she knew how to handle herself in an emergency. I am not a sailor, but she seems to be fully competent. I hope she tries again when she gets her feet under her.

Like I said, I admire her moxie.

If you insist on making this only about beer, I think you have the right to teach your child about alcohol, and even give him a beer if you want. Studies have actually shown that children that are taught to drink moderately are less likely to become alcoholics. It is even legal in some states, as long as you do not get them drunk. If you happen to live in a state that disagrees with me though, you're fucked. Which just makes my point that we need to keep the sate out of our lives as much as possible.

I totally agree with this. It's how I grew up and plan on raising my kids in the same manner (wine with family dinner, etc.)

For all you idiots who said she was'nt old enough for such a journey..... you were proved wrong when they found that "little girl" floating on a vessel that had its mast torn off from a rougue wave that was at least 30 feet high.

Any "little kid" with the mentality of a "little kid" would never have gotten the emergency personal beacon set off and and been able to keep themselves composed enough to call for help.

She is still here to tell us all about it.... and to tell all you doubters to GO TO HELL!

This girl is a role model if ya ask me, and bravo to her parents for raising such a brave "little girl" :clap2:

YAY they raised a girl who went against advice of professionals and ended up being lucky to be saved from her own stupidity.

She's so brave and self sufficient and a hero. AN inspiration really, why just today my 2 y/o told me she's mature enough to swim in our pool by herself, but I erred on the side of sanity and went out with her. Maybe if I hadn't of she would have almost drowned and proved how self sufficient she is by not dying before someone else could save her.

You fool

Oh please. Her age is not at all germane to being rescued. That is the same courtesy that any nation extends to all sailors.

Hell, how many foreign fishermen has our Coast Guard saved?

Do you think she is the only ship to go into distress in recent years? She grew up sailing, she had the skill level to do so, and she knew how to handle herself in an emergency. She is obviously fully competent.

I don't get why so many people whine about today's "lazy-assed kids" and then castigate this young woman for attempting something exceptional. I mean, I know there is a happy middle ground here, but geez.

The problem these days is that most parents are over protective and won't let the kids walk to the corner store without supervision. They rather lock them up in front of the computer playing video games and getting fat.

This girl is an awesome example of nurturing skill, independence, resourcefulness, and grit in ones child.

The problem these days is that most parents are over protective and won't let the kids walk to the corner store without supervision. They rather lock them up in front of the computer playing video games and getting fat.

This girl is an awesome example of nurturing skill, independence, resourcefulness, and grit in ones child.

Seriously. I got stuck on a tractor when I could reach the clutch (about the age of 9) and, growing up in ag, was around dangerous machinery and equipment (i.e. silos). I certainly didn't need parental supervision to do any of that.

I think this girl is outstanding. I have no idea why people are being pissy about her attempt to do something aside from spend her teenage years in the "World Of Warcraft".

She should have been at the mall, shopping with her friends, and sexting her boyfriend, for Christs sake!

:lol:

This girl obviously, at the age of 16, has the skill level and drive to attempt to accomplish something great. That drive is going to most likely propel her into doing something great with her life, be it in sailing or a profession.

Then consider how much time her father spent with her teaching her to sail before she could reach this degree of competence.

I would argue that this is the antithesis of child abuse. Letting your kid bum around on the couch all summer is worse.

If you insist on making this only about beer, I think you have the right to teach your child about alcohol, and even give him a beer if you want. Studies have actually shown that children that are taught to drink moderately are less likely to become alcoholics. It is even legal in some states, as long as you do not get them drunk. If you happen to live in a state that disagrees with me though, you're fucked. Which just makes my point that we need to keep the sate out of our lives as much as possible.

I totally agree with this. It's how I grew up and plan on raising my kids in the same manner (wine with family dinner, etc.)

Excellent so now you've went ahead and made the conceptual leap to not only allowing your children to break the law, but actually abetting them.

Pathetic.

Yeah, I don't really see the problem. Sailing the open ocean is inherently risky and she knew how to handle herself in an emergency. I am not a sailor, but she seems to be fully competent. I hope she tries again when she gets her feet under her.

Like I said, I admire her moxie.

I Agree... her training paid off.

Nobody can stop a rogue wave from doing what it is going to do.

Hope she tries again with better luck.

"Better to have tried and failed, than to never have tried at all"

It's not like the kid had been a knitter her whole life and, one day, decided to jump on a boat and take it for a spin.
This is something she had been raised around and taught and mastered her whole life.

You'd probably shit your pants to see my 11 yr old grandson driving an airboat, but he's spent his whole life on one and knows alot more about one that you do, most likely.

Forum List

Back