Wouldn't This be Considered Child Abuse.

Parental Consent.

Glsack understands that.

Glsack: Can I stop you from allowing your son from playing baseball? I think letting your son play baseball is WAY to dangerous, can I make that call for you? Can I tell you to stop him until he is "of age" to make his own decisions? Is anything you do with your son MY business to tell you how you parent and what he can and cannot do?

Last edited:
Parental Consent.

Glsack understands that.

Glsack: Can I stop you from allowing your son from playing baseball? I think letting your son play baseball is WAY to dangerous, can I make that call for you? Can I tell you to stop him until he is "of age" to make his own decisions? Is anything you do with your son MY business to tell you how you parent and what he can and cannot do?

Will you stop the ridicolous fallacy of comparing baseball to sending your child out into a dangerous sea in too small of a boat which isn't even in proper mechanical shape, I know you don't believe they are the same thing. The reason I know this is because only a complete and totally retarded person would believe that. I know you are not that.

Let me ask you, what if my 16 y/o kid believed that he could survive a 10 story jump from a skyscraper sans parachute. Do I have the right to consent to him trying it?

Let me ask you this. Do you feel that the octomom is neglecting her children by having so many of them with no way to support them? Do you feel she has the right to do what she's doing?

She obviously has the right to do what she is doing, otherwise she would have been arrested and her children placed in state custody. The fault here lies more with the doctors than with her, they should have told her no. Unfortunately, if they had, they probably would have been sued.

My son plays baseball... he loves it, and shows the kind of talent that can lead to a career in it later. Every time he plays he takes a risk. A fastball to the head, a line drive, etc, etc... These are the risks we must be prepared to face if he plans on getting any reward or benefit from it...

I do whatever I can to make sure he is prepared.. I played pretty well myself in my youth so I coach him and his teams whenever I can and do what I can to prepare him for the dangers and reach his potential..

So does that make it child abuse? I hope not, because preparing a child for his own life ahead is the primary job of any parent.. Despite popular modern thinking, children are not property... They are people. People who may have a desire to go and be or do beyond the desires or motivation of their parents..

In these situations, the best a parent can do is prepare the child best they possibly can, and then hope or pray for the best. Sheltering them or treating them like some reflection of what a parent wants most for them is selfish.. Like it or not sometimes a child is driven. When they are, a parent can do whats best for themselves or whats best for the child.. And make no mistake they are rarely the same thing..

New age bullshit; and not even applicable here.

1) Sometimes part of parenting is telling a child no. That in itself teaches a valuable lesson. Children that are never told no grow up to be adults who never want to be told no, like it or not we live in a society which tells people no

2) This situation compares to baseball, or football like an apple compares to a submarine. is baseball dangerous? it can be, but as dangerous as a child being alone at seas for months at a time, in dangerous weather and an ill repaired boat? Any sane person would say no.

3) The evidence here is CLEARLY pointing to a father who pushed his daughter to participate in t his for HIS gain. He in fact put his desires ahead of his daughter's desires and her welfare.

Would you not absolutely agree that parents who do not put their childcare's welfare above anything are failing those children?

Let me ask you this. Do you feel that the octomom is neglecting her children by having so many of them with no way to support them? Do you feel she has the right to do what she's doing?

1. I didn't say anything about not telling a child no... I tell my 3 no a great deal, but I do so with hopefully less selfish reasons than my own sense of well being... You start calling child abuse in circumstances like this and you will start an avalanche of legislative BS that will not end until all children will be property of the state.. Pretend all the high minded rhetoric you wish but that is the inevitable end to this kind of nonsense...

2. Danger is danger, life threatening is life threatening, and trying to pretend one life threatening thing is more life threatening therefore abuse, and the other is not is a bullshit semantics delusion. Letting a kid drive a car is dangerous and far more die in them than they do in baseball or sailing. But is it abuse? Don't think so... Is there some kind of degree of dead I am unaware of here? No again I don't think so.....

As I said before the kid fucked up, the parents fucked up, but a mistake or an error in judgement is not abuse.. Ever had a kid not listen to what you said and run in a parking lot with cars coming through? You told the kid not to, yet the kid did it anyway.. So is that abuse? Would it be abuse if the kid got hit and died? Don't think so.. What you are trying to do here is attribute malice where there is none. For this to be a crime there has to be some form of malice, but by all standards there was none at all.. Just poor judgement on both the parents and child.... God forbid they ever pass laws attributing poor judgement to malice, the prisons will have to get revolving doors...

3. What evidence? Seriously all I have seen so far is two sides bickering and pointing fingers.. On one side we have the reactionary alarmists who demand a new law or legislation every time something happens. And on the other we have the logical and reasoning side, who realize the reality of this rather than the sensational fear mongering and rabble rousing media talking heads.

Please prove any of that you claimed about the father.. And I mean prove it, not citing Jeraldo (a known and documented press whore)or some other fear selling media source..

You are sitting there and operating under the pretense Jeraldo or some other such media sellout knows the mind or heart of that kids father... Sorry but I am a Father and I know dam good and well he has no idea of anything beyond his desire to get people watching his show....

As to your questions, are you talking about the child's welfare or the parents well being and peace of mind? If the child had the proven ability, talent, and training to do this and the unwaivering desire and drive to push and accomplish it no matter what; than isn't allowing the child the opportunity to achieve their goals in their best interest? I hope so, because if not we couldn't very well justify the Junior Olympics, Lebron James, junior golden gloves boxing, martial arts lessons, contact sports, and no Cameron Crowe...

THe octo-mom made children to become famous, thats not the same thing at all.. She created the children for her own selfish desire to become an icon. The girl we are talking about here was not born to sail around the world at 16, she grew into that on her own....

Again its all reactionary and often nonsensical... If thats how you plan on debating this subject (red-herrings) why not just say "unh-uh" and be done with it....

My son plays baseball... he loves it, and shows the kind of talent that can lead to a career in it later. Every time he plays he takes a risk. A fastball to the head, a line drive, etc, etc... These are the risks we must be prepared to face if he plans on getting any reward or benefit from it...

I do whatever I can to make sure he is prepared.. I played pretty well myself in my youth so I coach him and his teams whenever I can and do what I can to prepare him for the dangers and reach his potential..

So does that make it child abuse? I hope not, because preparing a child for his own life ahead is the primary job of any parent.. Despite popular modern thinking, children are not property... They are people. People who may have a desire to go and be or do beyond the desires or motivation of their parents..

In these situations, the best a parent can do is prepare the child best they possibly can, and then hope or pray for the best. Sheltering them or treating them like some reflection of what a parent wants most for them is selfish.. Like it or not sometimes a child is driven. When they are, a parent can do whats best for themselves or whats best for the child.. And make no mistake they are rarely the same thing..

1) Sometimes part of parenting is telling a child no. That in itself teaches a valuable lesson. Children that are never told no grow up to be adults who never want to be told no, like it or not we live in a society which tells people no

2) This situation compares to baseball, or football like an apple compares to a submarine. is baseball dangerous? it can be, but as dangerous as a child being alone at seas for months at a time, in dangerous weather and an ill repaired boat? Any sane person would say no.

3) The evidence here is CLEARLY pointing to a father who pushed his daughter to participate in t his for HIS gain. He in fact put his desires ahead of his daughter's desires and her welfare.

Would you not absolutely agree that parents who do not put their childcare's welfare above anything are failing those children?

1. I didn't say anything about not telling a child no... I tell my 3 no a great deal, but I do so with hopefully less selfish reasons than my own sense of well being... You start calling child abuse in circumstances like this and you will start an avalanche of legislative BS that will not end until all children will be property of the state.. Pretend all the high minded rhetoric you wish but that is the inevitable end to this kind of nonsense...

2. Danger is danger, life threatening is life threatening, and trying to pretend one life threatening thing is more life threatening therefore abuse, and the other is not is a bullshit semantics delusion. Letting a kid drive a car is dangerous and far more die in them than they do in baseball or sailing. But is it abuse? Don't think so... Is there some kind of degree of dead I am unaware of here? No again I don't think so.....

As I said before the kid fucked up, the parents fucked up, but a mistake or an error in judgement is not abuse.. Ever had a kid not listen to what you said and run in a parking lot with cars coming through? You told the kid not to, yet the kid did it anyway.. So is that abuse? Would it be abuse if the kid got hit and died? Don't think so.. What you are trying to do here is attribute malice where there is none. For this to be a crime there has to be some form of malice, but by all standards there was none at all.. Just poor judgement on both the parents and child.... God forbid they ever pass laws attributing poor judgement to malice, the prisons will have to get revolving doors...

3. What evidence? Seriously all I have seen so far is two sides bickering and pointing fingers.. On one side we have the reactionary alarmists who demand a new law or legislation every time something happens. And on the other we have the logical and reasoning side, who realize the reality of this rather than the sensational fear mongering and rabble rousing media talking heads.

Please prove any of that you claimed about the father.. And I mean prove it, not citing Jeraldo (a known and documented press whore)or some other fear selling media source..

You are sitting there and operating under the pretense Jeraldo or some other such media sellout knows the mind or heart of that kids father... Sorry but I am a Father and I know dam good and well he has no idea of anything beyond his desire to get people watching his show....

As to your questions, are you talking about the child's welfare or the parents well being and peace of mind? If the child had the proven ability, talent, and training to do this and the unwaivering desire and drive to push and accomplish it no matter what; than isn't allowing the child the opportunity to achieve their goals in their best interest? I hope so, because if not we couldn't very well justify the Junior Olympics, Lebron James, junior golden gloves boxing, martial arts lessons, contact sports, and no Cameron Crowe...

THe octo-mom made children to become famous, thats not the same thing at all.. She created the children for her own selfish desire to become an icon. The girl we are talking about here was not born to sail around the world at 16, she grew into that on her own....

Again its all reactionary and often nonsensical... If thats how you plan on debating this subject (red-herrings) why not just say "unh-uh" and be done with it....

That is EXACTLY what many people in the family are saying about this father, that HE pushed first his son , and now his daughter into doing this so that HE could profit. So you just admitted that they are the same thing.

Parental Consent.

Glsack understands that.

Will you stop the ridicolous fallacy of comparing baseball to sending your child out into a dangerous sea in too small of a boat which isn't even in proper mechanical shape, I know you don't believe they are the same thing. The reason I know this is because only a complete and totally retarded person would believe that. I know you are not that.

Let me ask you, what if my 16 y/o kid believed that he could survive a 10 story jump from a skyscraper sans parachute. Do I have the right to consent to him trying it?

Yes they are the same. Both activities can get you killed. Both sets of parents weigh the risk and give or withhold consent.

If it is not against the law, YES you have the right to decide for your kid. I would consider a 10 story jump without a shut a suicide jump. But if you both agree he will survive, its your child and not mine.

The question is would YOU believe he could survive? Its your son and your decisions to give or withhold consent. It makes no difference what I think.

And just for shucks, Base jumping is illegal. :lol: and suicide attempts will get you a stay in a mental insinuation.

I think there is a big difference between letting your kid play baseball and letting him sail around the world alone.

My parents nearly had a fit when my sisters at 15 and 16, drove a small engine row boat around Squakson Island in the sound. These parents let their daughter sail around the world by herself, and you think they are good parents?

That is EXACTLY what many people in the family are saying about this father, that HE pushed first his son , and now his daughter into doing this so that HE could profit. So you just admitted that they are the same thing.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SAYING..... yeah ok so we should just take that and go with it and call it evidence then? yeah okay.... Like I said, prove any of that....

Parental Consent.

Glsack understands that.

Syrenn I would tell ya where to stick that....LOL and it wouldnt be nice either...

I think there is a big difference between letting your kid play baseball and letting him sail around the world alone.

My parents nearly had a fit when my sisters at 15 and 16, drove a small engine row boat around Squakson Island in the sound. These parents let their daughter sail around the world by herself, and you think they are good parents?

Was you sister an accomplished sailor? Had she trained on the rowboat for many years?

Yes, they think they were sane and perfectly within their rights to neglect their child's best interests.

I truly can't believe anyone would compare playing baseball to sailing solo around the world.

Simple fact, IF the parents just wanted the daughter to have the experience of sailing around the world they would have went with her, or at least sent her with a trusted and experienced adult. The fact that they didn't speaks directly to the idea that THEY wanted her to potentially break a silly record.

Syrenn, I take it back you are an idiot. I can't even believe that you insist on comparing playing baseball to solo sailing around the world.

Parental Consent.

Glsack understands that.

Syrenn I would tell ya where to stick that....LOL and it wouldnt be nice either...

Thank you.

And I would assume you would tell me more then just stick it if I ever presumed to tell YOU what to do with YOUR son. Just as I will tell you the same if you were EVER to be so officious with mine.

That is the point. You cant tell other parents what to do, how to raise, or what is best for THEIR children.

BIg difference or not the dangers are very much the same.. There is no difference in death by accident. Death is death. To try and pretend one is acceptable and another is not simply because some reactionary fear mongering media told you so is ignorant to a fault.

And I did not say they were good or bad parents; the only ones making judgements on the parents like that are the reactionary types claiming child abuse... I said they and the kid fucked up and showed poor judgement.. But poor judgement does not mean child abuse....

please respond to what I actually say not what someone implies I mean or what you assume based on others responses...

Yes, they think they were sane and perfectly within their rights to neglect their child's best interests.

I truly can't believe anyone would compare playing baseball to sailing solo around the world.
Simple fact, IF the parents just wanted the daughter to have the experience of sailing around the world they would have went with her, or at least sent her with a trusted and experienced adult. The fact that they didn't speaks directly to the idea that THEY wanted her to potentially break a silly record.

Syrenn, I take it back you are an idiot. I can't even believe that you insist on comparing playing baseball to solo sailing around the world.

Death is death. Injury is injury. It makes no difference sailing or getting hit in the head by a baseball.

A solo trip is just that, solo=alone. If her parents went with her then it would not be solo.

Parental Consent.

Glsack understands that.

Thank you.

And I would assume you would tell me more then just stick it if I ever presumed to tell YOU what to do with YOUR son. Just as I will tell you the same if you were EVER to be so officious with mine.

That is the point. You cant tell other parents what to do, how to raise, or what is best for THEIR children.

No, I can honestly say that if I was ever stupid enough to consider allowing my child (who's now 18 so this doesn't apply , well not until the 2 y/o is old enough anyway) to try to break some asinine record by sailing into the most dangerous waters in the word at a time when they are at their most dangerous in a boat that is both too small and mechanically questionable I would understand that maybe I wasn't thinking clearly about my child's best interests.

Death is death. Injury is injury. It makes no difference sailing or getting hit in the head by a baseball.

A solo trip is just that, solo=alone. If her parents went with her then it would not be solo.

1) Would you seriously like to debate the percentages of people killed playing baseball compared to the percentage of people killed by sailing solo around the world? It's not even comparable......... You completely weaken any legitimate argument you MIGHT have here by continuing along this asinine line.

2) Exactly the point, they wanted her to go solo for the record, not for the trip.

1) Would you seriously like to debate the percentages of people killed playing baseball compared to the percentage of people killed by sailing solo around the world? It's not even comparable......... You completely weaken any legitimate argument you MIGHT have here by continuing along this asinine line.

2) Exactly the point, they wanted her to go solo for the record, not for the trip.

Is death ,death? Is injury, injury?

Is death ,death? Is injury, injury?

We're talking about RISK , not actual death. Here let me help you out

risk
   /rɪsk/ Show Spelled[risk] Show IPA
–noun
exposure to the chance of injury or loss; a hazard or dangerous chance: It's not worth the risk.
Insurance .
a.
the hazard or chance of loss.
b.
the degree of probability of such loss.
c.
the amount that the insurance company may lose.
d.
a person or thing with reference to the hazard involved in insuring him, her, or it.
e.
the type of loss, as life, fire, marine disaster, or earthquake, against which an insurance policy is drawn.

Now that you fully understand the word. Would you like to debate which is riskier , by an order of magnitudes, between baseball and sailing solo in a dangerous ocean in a dangerous boat?

The Child's best interests is the thing here, not the parents sense of well being... Ever told a teenager no about a party or something only to have them go and do it anyway? if you are a parent I am sure you have or had something similar... So if that child goes anyway and has an accident or something can we call that child abuse?

Ever let your kid go to a sport practice alone?? Come on now lets be honest I have coached kids for a long time now, and rarely see more 2-3 parents attending a practice once the child gets past 8 years old.. in fact I have kids who ride their bikes to the practice and back, and sometimes we have a storm and I take the kids home... I don't scream child abuse, I just do what i can and go on.... Had a kid take a baseball to the eye the other day it swelled shut and he had a little cut on it.. His parents were NOT there.. is that abuse? hope not cause its not a rarity at all...

I teach a self defense course at the local YMCA twice a week.. had a kid get a dislocated kneecap last winter at a competition. No parents around... Good parents? I don't know but it didn't look good. bad parents? again no way to tell in such a situation, could have had a number of reasons they weren't there. Was it abuse? No way....

Whether its sailing around the world or a sport, there is still risks... You are assuming a great many things about the child and the parents here.. First you are taking a media whore as being truthful, honest, and sincere when that is shown to be blatantly false all the time. Second, you are assuming the parents just went and said alright go ahead with out a care, and that is a bit of bullshit i would love to see real evidence on.... And third, you are assuming a child's safety is always in his best interest, well if thats the case don't let them out of your house ever...

Some people in this world have to push the limits.. Even as children they do. Some people make the gravest of errors with children... They think of life as something to be protected at all times, and in so doing they all too often forget the 'living" part... What you or I call a life well spent, and what some go getter child out to achieve something great by their own hand are often not the same...

I happen to enjoy my life for the most part.. I am very content to coach and do my job and raise my kids in a simple and relatively safe manner.

Now My son on the other hand, he wants to play major league baseball, and then practice law... or play the guitar LOL... he is 14 so the second part changes.. Either way when a person sees him practice and play they realize right away he is driven. He has a small following in this town he has maintained since he was 10 years old. he is the first to practice, and the last to leave. he watches a baseball game and picks it apart like he is studying for a test later. He does this on his own, and would do so regardless of my feelings on it. Just the other day I had to make him come in from the rain and stop practicing his swing...

now if I were to try and stop him because of a media story where a kid died from taking a ball to the chest at a game, would that be in his best interest or mine? I think it would be in mine and despite his....

And that is the point in all of this, be it baseball, boxing or sailing..

The Child's best interests is the thing here, not the parents sense of well being... Ever told a teenager no about a party or something only to have them go and do it anyway? if you are a parent I am sure you have or had something similar... So if that child goes anyway and has an accident or something can we call that child abuse?

Ever let your kid go to a sport practice alone?? Come on now lets be honest I have coached kids for a long time now, and rarely see more 2-3 parents attending a practice once the child gets past 8 years old.. in fact I have kids who ride their bikes to the practice and back, and sometimes we have a storm and I take the kids home... I don't scream child abuse, I just do what i can and go on.... Had a kid take a baseball to the eye the other day it swelled shut and he had a little cut on it.. His parents were NOT there.. is that abuse? hope not cause its not a rarity at all...

I teach a self defense course at the local YMCA twice a week.. had a kid get a dislocated kneecap last winter at a competition. No parents around... Good parents? I don't know but it didn't look good. bad parents? again no way to tell in such a situation, could have had a number of reasons they weren't there. Was it abuse? No way....

Whether its sailing around the world or a sport, there is still risks... You are assuming a great many things about the child and the parents here.. First you are taking a media whore as being truthful, honest, and sincere when that is shown to be blatantly false all the time. Second, you are assuming the parents just went and said alright go ahead with out a care, and that is a bit of bullshit i would love to see real evidence on.... And third, you are assuming a child's safety is always in his best interest, well if thats the case don't let them out of your house ever...

Some people in this world have to push the limits.. Even as children they do. Some people make the gravest of errors with children... They think of life as something to be protected at all times, and in so doing they all too often forget the 'living" part... What you or I call a life well spent, and what some go getter child out to achieve something great by their own hand are often not the same...

I happen to enjoy my life for the most part.. I am very content to coach and do my job and raise my kids in a simple and relatively safe manner.

Now My son on the other hand, he wants to play major league baseball, and then practice law... or play the guitar LOL... he is 14 so the second part changes.. Either way when a person sees him practice and play they realize right away he is driven. He has a small following in this town he has maintained since he was 10 years old. he is the first to practice, and the last to leave. he watches a baseball game and picks it apart like he is studying for a test later. He does this on his own, and would do so regardless of my feelings on it. Just the other day I had to make him come in from the rain and stop practicing his swing...

now if I were to try and stop him because of a media story where a kid died from taking a ball to the chest at a game, would that be in his best interest or mine? I think it would be in mine and despite his....

And that is the point in all of this, be it baseball, boxing or sailing..

And you don't see that in EVERY case you mentioned there were responsible (hopefully) adults around? I coach, I have been a cub scout leader, I've done all that and knew and will know that when I'm the adult there and other parent's aren't it is because they trust their children to my care. Who's care was this child trusted to? Gods? Well that doesn't fly either because there are in fact laws against denying your children needed medicine because you trust in God.

STOP using sports that don't send a child out into nothingness by themselves for long periods of times in comparison to this. There is no legitimate comparison.

Forum List

Back