Wouldn't This be Considered Child Abuse.

Look, you're already on record as being a horrible potential mother, no need to further prove it.

By the way, did you watch Geraldo tonight? He had family members on screen saying that A) The father pushed the daughter to continue the trip against advice that the weather was too bad and B) he pushed the "Self sufficient child" to continue her journey after the ship had mechanical problems that were hastily and insufficiently repaired.

Nope, no neglect there...............

God you are being an ass on this thread. No need to personally attack people's parenting skills for having a different opinion than you.

Furthermore, did you ever deal with Geraldo in combat? We were *lucky* enough to have him come out and visit us. The guys a fucking ass and a sensationalist. Our FOB took a routine rocket attack and he broadcasted it and made it seem like we were about to be overrun or something.

He was only successful in freaking out all the wives.

He's an epic poster at 141 posts per day, so no doubt his own parenting skills are stellar. He's researched it carefully online, I'm sure. :doubt:

For someone who has only joined this month (and the month's not even half way thru yet) he sure lives here and makes judgements about people.....I'm thinking sock puppet....of someone who's been on this board a long time.

God you are being an ass on this thread. No need to personally attack people's parenting skills for having a different opinion than you.

Furthermore, did you ever deal with Geraldo in combat? We were *lucky* enough to have him come out and visit us. The guys a fucking ass and a sensationalist. Our FOB took a routine rocket attack and he broadcasted it and made it seem like we were about to be overrun or something.

He was only successful in freaking out all the wives.

He's an epic poster at 141 posts per day, so no doubt his own parenting skills are stellar. He's researched it carefully online, I'm sure. :doubt:

For someone who has only joined this month (and the month's not even half way thru yet) he sure lives here and makes judgements about people.....I'm thinking sock puppet....of someone who's been on this board a long time.

Are you still stalking him?

:lol:

If I were going to question judgment of a parent it would be that of Natalie Holloway letting her daughter go to a foreign country on a senior trip and swing in on the bar scene, and not this girl's parents who allowed her to do something she was well prepared to do.

Interesting comparison.

Again both teens had parental consent to do what they were doing.

One teaches self reliance and requires skill and a high level of maturity. The other just teaches how to live in a self gratifying life style of fun, money and drinking.

If I were going to question judgment of a parent it would be that of Natalie Holloway letting her daughter go to a foreign country on a senior trip and swing in on the bar scene, and not this girl's parents who allowed her to do something she was well prepared to do.

Interesting comparison.

One teaches self reliance and requires skill and a high level of maturity. The other just teaches how to live in a self gratifying life style of fun, money and drinking.

One going on a chaperoned school trip after graduating high-school with honors and getting a scholarship to college, the other sailing around the world by herself......

You know I just don't understand people today. How can anyone support parents allowing a 16 year old to sail around the world by herself????

You are PATENTLY wrong. You CAN NOT decide that your child is mature enough to be put into danger if s/he chooses to be. Your job as a parent in fact is to prevent them from doing so.

You are fighting for a RIGHT that you simply don't have. A right is something that is consistent and absolute. If you had the RIGHT to allow your child to do whatever you wished them to do, you could allow your child to quit school at age 14, you could allow your child to drink at age 18. You could allow your child to drive at 14. The fact is you do NOT have that right. The state has already proven that they have the absolute right to intervene on the behalf of children who's parents are neglectful in their parental duties.

Now you can argue this until you are blue in the face , but the simple fact that EVERY state has a department of child services, or it's equivelant, absolutely proves that you do NOT have a right to do as you please with your children.

I always thought my job as a parent was to equip my children to deal with the dangers around them. My desire is to protect them and insulate them from danger, but I know that is impossible, so I prepare them to face it and overcome it.

didn't her brother do this at 17...how old was the kid that just climbed mount everest.....

once she was on the boat by herself why not just sail to hawaii and call it a day....

As a new parent, my first reaction to this was similar to others here, "Are her parents crazy?!?!"

But the more I thought about it, the more I found my opinion changing a bit. I still think her parents are insane, but there is a part of me that worries more about a society that forbids its young people from striving to accomplish something in some desperate attempt to keep them "safe."

Would she be safer at home, having sex with random boys, looking at women's magazines that are proven to lower self-esteem, or television shows that confirm her growing suspicions that she isn't having enough sex, she is fat, and that being intelligent is for nerds and losers???

Or is it "safer" for her, a young woman who has spent her days learning how to be an excellent sailor, to learn self-reliance, courage, bravery, determination, pride, and about a million other positive attributes, by doing something frightening and difficult...but something that she more than adequately trained to be able to do?

I am still mulling over how I feel about the money spent on her rescue...perhaps we should make such feats only allowable to "adults," but I worry about our society, whether we have lost the will to strive for great things, whether our spirit of adventure has become dangerous complacency...and whether we are turning our young adults into babies far into their teens and 20s, rather than pushing them to achieve the maturity and ability to succeed that so many generations before them had before them.

As a new parent, my first reaction to this was similar to others here, "Are her parents crazy?!?!"

But the more I thought about it, the more I found my opinion changing a bit. I still think her parents are insane, but there is a part of me that worries more about a society that forbids its young people from striving to accomplish something in some desperate attempt to keep them "safe."

Would she be safer at home, having sex with random boys, looking at women's magazines that are proven to lower self-esteem, or television shows that confirm her growing suspicions that she isn't having enough sex, she is fat, and that being intelligent is for nerds and losers???

Or is it "safer" for her, a young woman who has spent her days learning how to be an excellent sailor, to learn self-reliance, courage, bravery, determination, pride, and about a million other positive attributes, by doing something frightening and difficult...but something that she more than adequately trained to be able to do?

I am still mulling over how I feel about the money spent on her rescue...perhaps we should make such feats only allowable to "adults," but I worry about our society, whether we have lost the will to strive for great things, whether our spirit of adventure has become dangerous complacency...and whether we are turning our young adults into babies far into their teens and 20s, rather than pushing them to achieve the maturity and ability to succeed that so many generations before them had before them.

Here's an idea, her parents could have gone WITH her. But then again, they couldn't make money off of that idea like they can off of their 16 year old daughter sailing around the world by herself.

Her parents absolutely could have gone with her and to become as accomplished a sailor as she was, I'm sure they had in the past. But that wasn't what the goal was about. As to the "reality show" aspect...I am afraid I haven't heard anything about that part yet...I'm looking into it now.

If she was still missing, who should have paid for the search and rescue?

Interesting comparison.

One going on a chaperoned school trip after graduating high-school with honors and getting a scholarship to college, the other sailing around the world by herself......

You know I just don't understand people today. How can anyone support parents allowing a 16 year old to sail around the world by herself????

And even chaperoned it was still a drinking and carousing girls gone wild time. Which decision was worse?

I support the parents rights to decide what is best for their daughter. Those decisions may not be what I would decide but it is still a parents right to give consent to their children.

If she is a cute blonde, no. Fox wont go after her in any way shape or form. Imagine if she was acutally missing though, Greta would have had amonth on her alone.

Nancy grace would have done two.

Geraldo works for Fox, and he is all over this story, accusing the father of neglect. Why would he attack the girl when he feels she was coerced into this?

Who listens to Geraldo anyway. He had a father on his show that admitted to incest with his then underage daughter. It took over a year and the girl begging for help from him before he finally called the police and told them who the father was. Later, he offered $10,000 to anybody who could prove that someone went to jail for lying about sex. When more than 200 people came up with proof, he ended his talk show and left NBC. Never did pay out.

People really should have realized back when he opened the Vault just how bad he was, he should be a hasbeen, I can't believe people really listen to him even today.

Interesting comparison.

And even chaperoned it was still a drinking and carousing girls gone wild time. Which decision was worse?

I support the parents rights to decide what is best for their daughter. Those decisions may not be what I would decide but it is still a parents right to give consent to their children.

Not until they are age, it's not.

The chaperons obviously weren't doing their jobs, but that's not the parent's fault. I hold that given the beginning circumstances, the parents of the 16 year old sailor were out of line, Natalee's parents were not. It's sad that her trip turned out how it did, but it wasn't her parents fault. She was of age AND chaperoned. Me, I would have sued the heck out of the chaperons.

As a new parent, my first reaction to this was similar to others here, "Are her parents crazy?!?!".

As a parent of a 16 year old, my first reaction was, "Damn those parents are fucking BRILLIANT....why haven't I thought of floating him off into the ocean to circumvent the globe during the summer???":(

Last edited:

This is, by far, the best post in this thread! Thanks Gem for hitting the nail on the head.

My son plays baseball... he loves it, and shows the kind of talent that can lead to a career in it later. Every time he plays he takes a risk. A fastball to the head, a line drive, etc, etc... These are the risks we must be prepared to face if he plans on getting any reward or benefit from it...

I do whatever I can to make sure he is prepared.. I played pretty well myself in my youth so I coach him and his teams whenever I can and do what I can to prepare him for the dangers and reach his potential..

So does that make it child abuse? I hope not, because preparing a child for his own life ahead is the primary job of any parent.. Despite popular modern thinking, children are not property... They are people. People who may have a desire to go and be or do beyond the desires or motivation of their parents..

In these situations, the best a parent can do is prepare the child best they possibly can, and then hope or pray for the best. Sheltering them or treating them like some reflection of what a parent wants most for them is selfish.. Like it or not sometimes a child is driven. When they are, a parent can do whats best for themselves or whats best for the child.. And make no mistake they are rarely the same thing..

My son plays baseball... he loves it, and shows the kind of talent that can lead to a career in it later. Every time he plays he takes a risk. A fastball to the head, a line drive, etc, etc... These are the risks we must be prepared to face if he plans on getting any reward or benefit from it...

I do whatever I can to make sure he is prepared.. I played pretty well myself in my youth so I coach him and his teams whenever I can and do what I can to prepare him for the dangers and reach his potential..

So does that make it child abuse? I hope not, because preparing a child for his own life ahead is the primary job of any parent.. Despite popular modern thinking, children are not property... They are people. People who may have a desire to go and be or do beyond the desires or motivation of their parents..

In these situations, the best a parent can do is prepare the child best they possibly can, and then hope or pray for the best. Sheltering them or treating them like some reflection of what a parent wants most for them is selfish.. Like it or not sometimes a child is driven. When they are, a parent can do whats best for themselves or whats best for the child.. And make no mistake they are rarely the same thing..

New age bullshit; and not even applicable here.

1) Sometimes part of parenting is telling a child no. That in itself teaches a valuable lesson. Children that are never told no grow up to be adults who never want to be told no, like it or not we live in a society which tells people no

2) This situation compares to baseball, or football like an apple compares to a submarine. is baseball dangerous? it can be, but as dangerous as a child being alone at seas for months at a time, in dangerous weather and an ill repaired boat? Any sane person would say no.

3) The evidence here is CLEARLY pointing to a father who pushed his daughter to participate in t his for HIS gain. He in fact put his desires ahead of his daughter's desires and her welfare.

Would you not absolutely agree that parents who do not put their childcare's welfare above anything are failing those children?

Let me ask you this. Do you feel that the octomom is neglecting her children by having so many of them with no way to support them? Do you feel she has the right to do what she's doing?

Forum List

Back