Would You Save Your Dog?

" So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."
Genesis, 1:27

Therein we find the basis for the belief in the uniqueness of human life.

The more secular society becomes, the lower the value placed on human life, and, it seems the higher that of animals.
One cannot help but conjecture that the above characteristic is what resulted in 100 million humans having been slaughtered by secular big government in the last century.
As society moves away from the religious basis on which America was founded, we see more people with a skewed view of the value of people, and animals. (Please don't bring up 'animal kingdom...')

1. " Without God, without religion, the only value that can be taught is tolerance. When I speak to American students, the only value they hold is tolerance, meaning tolerance of every value. Two- thirds of high school seniors in the United States have voted in 15 years of my asking the question that if their dog and a stranger were both drowning, they would not save the stranger first.

Incidentally, you get different answers at religious schools. Secular students say, "I love my dog. I don't love the stranger." They have been raised on love as their only value. We religious, we quaint ones who believe in the "blackmailer in the sky," believe that humans are created in God's image and dogs are not.

Therefore, even though I do love my dogs more than strangers - I admit that - I would save a stranger before either of my dogs. That is how I would behave because I have a value system.

Now comes the issue of tolerance. In 15 years, not one kid who has voted to save the stranger ever said that the kids who would save their dog are wrong. What do they say? "They have their opinion. I have mine. I can't say they're wrong." I then say, " Well, wait a minute" - and I have this on video tape- "what if they would save their hamster - hamster! - before a person - before your mother?" "Can't say they're wrong" they respond, "that's their value system."
Dennis Prager.

And...a step beyond:

2. "The woman in the restaurant (and the video attached below) is Kelly Atlas. She is an Oakland, California-based activist, organizer and designer withDirect Action Everywhere. The group’s website says that it strives to “create a world where animal liberation is a reality.”
Woman Interrupts Restaurant Patrons With Tears and Screams 8216 This Isn 8217 t Food It 8217 s Violence 8217 Wait Until You See Why Video TheBlaze.com

After re-reading your OP and comparing your hypothesis to many of the subsequent posts I must say that you've made your point quite clearly. Animals are generally held in higher regard than fellow Americans. It's hard to determine for certain but would you say this is the case at a 65 to 35 ratio (give or take)? Wow! I guess it's good to know that if I'm ever stuck in a car fire I may as well say my closing prayers.

" So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."
Genesis, 1:27

Therein we find the basis for the belief in the uniqueness of human life.

The more secular society becomes, the lower the value placed on human life, and, it seems the higher that of animals.
One cannot help but conjecture that the above characteristic is what resulted in 100 million humans having been slaughtered by secular big government in the last century.
As society moves away from the religious basis on which America was founded, we see more people with a skewed view of the value of people, and animals. (Please don't bring up 'animal kingdom...')

1. " Without God, without religion, the only value that can be taught is tolerance. When I speak to American students, the only value they hold is tolerance, meaning tolerance of every value. Two- thirds of high school seniors in the United States have voted in 15 years of my asking the question that if their dog and a stranger were both drowning, they would not save the stranger first.

Incidentally, you get different answers at religious schools. Secular students say, "I love my dog. I don't love the stranger." They have been raised on love as their only value. We religious, we quaint ones who believe in the "blackmailer in the sky," believe that humans are created in God's image and dogs are not.

Therefore, even though I do love my dogs more than strangers - I admit that - I would save a stranger before either of my dogs. That is how I would behave because I have a value system.

Now comes the issue of tolerance. In 15 years, not one kid who has voted to save the stranger ever said that the kids who would save their dog are wrong. What do they say? "They have their opinion. I have mine. I can't say they're wrong." I then say, " Well, wait a minute" - and I have this on video tape- "what if they would save their hamster - hamster! - before a person - before your mother?" "Can't say they're wrong" they respond, "that's their value system."
Dennis Prager.

And...a step beyond:

2. "The woman in the restaurant (and the video attached below) is Kelly Atlas. She is an Oakland, California-based activist, organizer and designer withDirect Action Everywhere. The group’s website says that it strives to “create a world where animal liberation is a reality.”
Woman Interrupts Restaurant Patrons With Tears and Screams 8216 This Isn 8217 t Food It 8217 s Violence 8217 Wait Until You See Why Video TheBlaze.com

After re-reading your OP and comparing your hypothesis to many of the subsequent posts I must say that you've made your point quite clearly. Animals are generally held in higher regard than fellow Americans. It's hard to determine for certain but would you say this is the case at a 65 to 35 ratio (give or take)? Wow! I guess it's good to know that if I'm ever stuck in a car fire I may as well say my closing prayers.

Sandy.....did you see that some good folks actually choose to save a dog over a person?

Disheartening.....almost as bad as the 65 million who voted for an individual who supported infanticide.

I don't see much hope.

Forum List

Back