Zone1 Would You Make A Relative Change Your Baby's Diaper?

You can only be effectively "responsible" if you've been prepped. You should not (CAN NOT) expect a teenager to be responsible for the duties of an adult unless he/she has been taught. Why do you think teenage pregnancies are fraught with worry by adults?

You do have a point and like I said before she should have been prepped.

Was the 18 year old voluntarily babysitting the baby? If so, she should have expected that diaper changing was part of the responsibility. If she had not agreed to babysit, then the parents should not gave left the baby in her care.

The way I see it she's eighteen. Unless she has a good legit reason why she can't be out on her own (like disabilities and or financial struggles like me) then she chose to live there so she automatically has to respect the responsibilities of helping out the family.

You do have a point and like I said before she should have been prepped.

The way I see it she's eighteen. Unless she has a good legit reason why she can't be out on her own (like disabilities and or financial struggles like me) then she chose to live there so she automatically has to respect the responsibilities of helping out the family.
One would think that an 18 year old would be able to keep a baby for a few hours, diaper changing included. Also, as a family member living in the same house, she should be willing to help. That said, the parents have a responsibility to make sure she agrees to take care of the baby, diaper duties included, before leaving the baby with her. It's possible for many to be at fault in this story.

Hard to comment when you're only getting 1 side of things. The daughter is an adult and the uncle is helping her and the mom with a place to stay, so IMO she should have sucked it up and changed the diaper.

One would think that an 18 year old would be able to keep a baby for a few hours, diaper changing included. Also, as a family member living in the same house, she should be willing to help. That said, the parents have a responsibility to make sure she agrees to take care of the baby, diaper duties included, before leaving the baby with her. It's possible for many to be at fault in this story.

I see what you're saying and I agree.

What is a mfh meeting? Is that a web meeting?

I do agree that the niece should have changed the diaper; however, assuming that the dad was home but in a web meeting, he could have excused himself for five minutes to take care of the diaper emergency. If it wasn't a web meeting, then why did the parents leave the baby with an unwilling babysitter?

..... the father was ..... in a business meeting .....the .....18 year old, going out with her friends was more important than helping out your family
Hold it right there. Do you realize how ridiculous your logic is? You speak as though you know all of the details. But you don't.

My grandmother was from the old country. She could cook! One would think that my mother (the oldest of three children) could also cook but she couldn't warm a can of corn without burning it. Why? I didn't know why and I never found out why.

What is a mfh meeting? Is that a web meeting?

I do agree that the niece should have changed the diaper; however, assuming that the dad was home but in a web meeting, he could have excused himself for five minutes to take care of the diaper emergency. If it wasn't a web meeting, then why did the parents leave the baby with an unwilling babysitter?

Not sure what that is but you do make another excellent point.

Hard to comment when you're only getting 1 side of things. The daughter is an adult and the uncle is helping her and the mom with a place to stay, so IMO she should have sucked it up and changed the diaper.
I'll remember you said that so the next time you come to visit I'll expect you to change the spark plugs on my Masseratti while I go out to the 7/11 to get a loaf of bread.

I'll remember you said that so the next time you come to visit I'll expect you to change the spark plugs on my Masseratti while I go out to the 7/11 to get a loaf of bread.

Visiting and moving in are two entirely different things.

She was the only one around to do it. She lives in the house and should have some responsibility.
An 18 year old should be responsible enough to change a diaper. To force a baby to sit in a soiled diaper because you consider it “yucky” is irresponsible

Not her kid so she has no obligation to clean up after it.

This brother and girlfriend took in this pair of ingrates out of some misplaced kindness. Was anyone paying rent? No. An 18 year old girl moving into a home with a baby should be expected to help out. Both of them should have gladly helped out. I can understand if this was 1955 and cloth diapers had to be folded, rinsed and put in laundry. There is simply no excuse. Reach in the box take out the preformed fastener attached diaper and it's a done deal. Maybe a baby wipe.

An 18 year old girl is an adult. Start acting like one and pay your way. Brother was too kind in giving them two weeks.

What would he have done if his brother and his kid were not living there? And why didn't he just do that?

Visiting and moving in are two entirely different things.
So, I've fixed you up with the most gorgeous women in the state, invited both of you to dinner with the very best wine money can buy, put you up in the guest room for the whole week-end (with benefits if you play your cards right with her), and offered to make you an equal partner in my insanely lucrative business ..... but you refuse to change the spark plugs in my Maseratti that you've borrowed from me for the past 3 months?

So, I've fixed you up with the most gorgeous women in the state, invited both of you to dinner with the very best wine money can buy, put you up in the guest room for the whole week-end (with benefits if you play your cards right with her), and offered to make you an equal partner in my insanely lucrative business ..... but you refuse to change the spark plugs in my Maseratti that you've borrowed from me for the past 3 months?
You'd be an idiot to let just anyone tinker with the engine of your Maserati

What would he have done if his brother and his kid were not living there? And why didn't he just do that?

I sort of see your point, but I'm still sticking with my original opinions about this subject.

I am a woman lol but staying for the weekend is still considered being a guest in my book.

Was the 18 year old voluntarily babysitting the baby? If so, she should have expected that diaper changing was part of the responsibility. If she had not agreed to babysit, then the parents should not left the baby in her care.

The brother had taken in his sister and her 18 year old daughter after divorce.

He was on a business call and watching a baby monitor.
The baby started fussing and he texted the 18 year old to ask her to change a diaper while he was on the call

She refused and went out with her friends.

An 18 year old should realize family responsibility when you are taken in to someone’s home. She should have at least attempted to help out with the baby.

Her mother basically said…….I will take care of my kid, you take care of yours

Glad they were kicked out as “guests”

Put the phone on 'speaker' and talk while changing the diaper. In the old days, you'd clamp the phone between your shoulder and chin. OR...say:.'I'll call you back in a bit.'

I am a woman lol
I just assumed. Maybe because of your avatar?

but staying for the weekend is still considered being a guest in my book.
Being a guest or a live-in has little to do with it, particularly in the US where "how are you?" is expected to be reciprocated by a "how are you?" and "Nice car you have there!" is echoed by "Yours is really nice too!" In his case, it's all about doing favours. They are filed and conscientiously put at the very top of the list of liabilities.

Forum List

Back