Would you guys trust a work-from-home job opportunity if they supplied the hardware?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Knowing what I have been through and how malicious my country can be, would you trust a work at home opportunity where they supply the hardware which I have to connect to my network? If I accepted such a position, how can I minize any threat to my network when connecting their hardware?

Last edited:
I work from home, and I have my pesonal desktop and my work desktop they gave me.

My internet router has TWO Ethernet ports..........one for MY pc and one for my WORK pc.

I also have two wireless keyboards and mouses, one for each.

I have my pc plugged into my tv/monitor, which is like 50 inches or so.......my pc is port 1 on the monitor and my work pc is port 2 on the monitor.

Easy enough.

And an honest work at home job will supply you with what you need. You wont be charged for it, and you wont be sent a check to go buy it.
If THEY don't or won't send you the actual hardware, then its a scam.

I work from home, and I have my pesonal desktop and my work desktop they gave me.

My internet router has TWO Ethernet ports..........one for MY pc and one for my WORK pc.

I also have two wireless keyboards and mouses, one for each.

I have my pc plugged into my tv/monitor, which is like 50 inches or so.......my pc is port 1 on the monitor and my work pc is port 2 on the monitor.

Easy enough.

And an honest work at home job will supply you with what you need. You wont be charged for it, and you wont be sent a check to go buy it.
If THEY don't or won't send you the actual hardware, then its a scam.
Yes but once you connct their hardware to your modem they can access plenty. I am concerned about spoofing my devices, stealing modem passwords or much worse, using a backdoor to go to illegal sites on my home network to try and smear me. It is in Conspiracy Theories section but I have never told a lie about my situation on here and lo and behold look where I am now. In a dark place of uncertainty.

Knowing what I have been through and how malicious my country can be, would you trust a work at home opportunity where they supply the hardware which I have to connect to my network? If I accepted such a position, how can I minize any threat to my network when connecting their hardware?
My son has been working from home for more than two years now. They supply the hardware and require him to have a wired highspeed internet connection. Everything runs through the company's VPN so you should be good to go. If this company does not have a VPN you probably ought to run away. That is a minimal requirement for legal purposes.

My son has been working from home for more than two years now. They supply the hardware and require him to have a wired highspeed internet connection. Everything runs through the company's VPN so you should be good to go. If this company does not have a VPN you probably ought to run away. That is a minimal requirement for legal purposes.
Interesting thought. What risks do I expose myself to and, how can I mitigate these risks? I am not comfortable having them even wired to my modem, but I need the money right now.

When I worked from home during the pandemic they gave me a laptop and two monitors.

Not really.

Theres no way one pc can get into the other pc, unless they are directly connected to each other.
And even if you do that, theres has to be some stuff that has to be done in order for them to work together.
I'm worried about my modem not my other computer. I will keep all my devices disconnected during work hours.

I'm worried about my modem not my other computer. I will keep all my devices disconnected during work hours.

Well, I've had this set up for two different jobs, and I play music on my pc while I use my work pc. Have never had a problem.

If it bothers you that much, just unplug the Ethernet cable from YOUR pc when using your work pc............and vice versa.

No sweat.

No ethernet connection = no internet.

Well, I've had this set up for two different jobs, and I play music on my pc while I use my work pc. Have never had a problem.

If it bothers you that much, just unplug the Ethernet cable from YOUR pc when using your work pc............and vice versa.

No sweat.

No ethernet connection = no internet.
Still doesn't address what couild already be on the computer they send which wll access my modem. I need to figure up a set up or failsafe approach. Might be found in my modem softwarw I don't know.

Seek help.

Both technical and mental.

Wow.

If the government isn't sending you the hardware why would you worry about government spyware?

If you are worried about the government spying on you, just know that any time you get on the internet, they can track what you're looking at, how long you look at it, what you did with the information, etc... And that is just the passive means. If they want to "spike" you, you're defenseless against being spiked. At some point you have to get on an "on ramp" to the internet and once you do..bingo; they've got you if they want you. To what degree? Arguable. The difference in the hardware being able to do something that they can't do through other means is negligible as far as information goes. Passive microphones and cameras though? A bigger worry. I'm guessing that nobody is going to be to interested in what you're doing though.

Seek help.

Both technical and mental.

Wow.

If the government isn't sending you the hardware why would you worry about government spyware?

If you are worried about the government spying on you, just know that any time you get on the internet, they can track what you're looking at, how long you look at it, what you did with the information, etc... And that is just the passive means. If they want to "spike" you, you're defenseless against being spiked. At some point you have to get on an "on ramp" to the internet and once you do..bingo; they've got you if they want you. To what degree? Arguable. The difference in the hardware being able to do something that they can't do through other means is negligible as far as information goes. Passive microphones and cameras though? A bigger worry. I'm guessing that nobody is going to be to interested in what you're doing though.
I've posted for gears the abuses I have experienced, shared these details with allied narions and organizatiions . Of course I shjould be ckncderned cknsidering my current situation.

Forum List

Back