Would more holiday be good for America?

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
I agree. Americans don't get enough vacation time, to allow for physical, mental, spiritual renewal. This is a good analysis of this fact. We are not allowed to enjoy the fruits of our labor.

BBC News - Would more holiday be good for America?

_48946271_holidays_464.gif

Last edited:
we are nothing like those countries. america is about making your own way and luxuries, not having government mandated ones.

I personally seek a balance between my private life and making money.

Nobody can force you to work more than you desire. One man's luxury is another man's essential.

I don't know how it is in USA, but in some countries you are not only getting paid when you are in holiday, but usually you get another monthly paycheck extra. Usually it is called "summer money", it's the 13th paycheck. In Christian countries (Germany) some companies also pay the 14th pay-check in December. They call it Christmas money in Germany. But these extra paychecks are voluntary given by the companies, but it is common practice.

I personally don't give a rat's ass what the rest of the world does. We are not like the rest of the world and we shouldn't strive to be more like them. Quite frankly, the rest of the world should strive to be more like us or should I say more like we used to be.

Why should the US Government force companies to pay you for not working?

Very true, good point.

I was more wondering about our cultural values.

I think that 'cultural values' have little to do with an individual's choice of employment. If one values time off, they might choose seasonal work or teaching. OTOH if they value a competitive work environment and higher salary, they might go into marketing, law, accounting. Eventually they will get time off, but many choose not to take it.

The government should certainly stay out of it.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Last edited:
Another holiday would only give worthless government workers 1 more day to be useless and collect a paycheck.

And you should hear the howls when it is suggested on cutting back days. Thats days off to relax isnt it?

The issue is PAID time off, not about vacation days or relaxing time. Its about wanting more money for doing nothing.

Why should the US Government force companies to pay you for not working?

Very true, good point.

I think that 'cultural values' have little to do with an individual's choice of employment. If one values time off, they might choose seasonal work or teaching. OTOH if they value a competitive work environment and higher salary, they might go into marketing, law, accounting. Eventually they will get time off, but many choose not to take it.

People are usually grateful for a job and at the mercy of their employer and trade union, if they have one. And, in the United States, generous vacation packages are not the norm.

Very true, good point.

People are usually grateful for a job and at the mercy of their employer and trade union, if they have one. And, in the United States, generous vacation packages are not the norm.

Most people start working at least 1 week + some federal holidays + some sick days. By 40 most folks are up to 3 weeks or more paid vacation. Now if you're looking for the European models, no I don't think you'll find that in the US, other than in academia.

I personally don't give a rat's ass what the rest of the world does. We are not like the rest of the world and we shouldn't strive to be more like them. Quite frankly, the rest of the world should strive to be more like us or should I say more like we used to be.

Why on earth would they want to do that??? In those more enlightened societies; family, food and culture are more important than the rat race. They set up their society to get as much out of life as possible - they just don't require you to have a six-figure salary to be able to do it. Human beings were not put on this earth to "work" per-se, only to survive and procreate. Sadly, we've invented this thing called "money" that keeps many people from being human in that manner - work is all they ever know. It is not good to work constantly doing something you hate just to be able to survive - for anyone.

Why on earth would they want to do that??? In those more enlightened societies; family, food and culture are more important than the rat race. They set up their society to get as much out of life as possible - they just don't require you to have a six-figure salary to be able to do it. Human beings were not put on this earth to "work" per-se, only to survive and procreate. Sadly, we've invented this thing called "money" that keeps many people from being human in that manner - work is all they ever know. It is not good to work constantly doing something you hate just to be able to survive - for anyone.

I'm not disagreeing with you here. In fact, I think that other countries know how to get a life unlike Americans who most of them enjoy being corporate slaves. But I just want to tell you that money is not is not a bad thing, but it's not a good thing either. It's not a cure-all solution that con-artists like to preach. All it is, is that money is just a means to an end. Nothing more, nothing less.

The problem is that most humans let money control them, ESPECIALLY Americans.

Let me take a quote from an American movie, of all things. "Make that money, but don't let money make you!"

Why on earth would they want to do that??? In those more enlightened societies; family, food and culture are more important than the rat race.

More enlightened? I disagree there. And you run a rat race because it's what you've chosen to do. If you feel the need to keep up with the Jones it's no one's fault but your own.

They set up their society to get as much out of life as possible - they just don't require you to have a six-figure salary to be able to do it. Human beings were not put on this earth to "work" per-se, only to survive and procreate. Sadly, we've invented this thing called "money" that keeps many people from being human in that manner - work is all they ever know. It is not good to work constantly doing something you hate just to be able to survive - for anyone.

If all you want to do is survive and procreate then go walk naked into the rain forest with your wife and kids. Have fun.

Money is a tool no different from a hammer or a computer. That you haven't realized how to use money as a tool is your problem.

If you hate your job then find one you like.

Forum List

Back