No Tanning for Teens

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Assemblywoman Mary Pat Angelini is sponsoring legislation that would prohibit anyone under the age of 18 from using tanning facilities in New Jersey.

Under current law, anyone under the age of 14 is prohibited from using a tanning bed, but teens between the ages of 14 and 18 can do so with their parent's permission.

Penalties for violating the provisions of the bill would be $100 for the first offense and $200 for each subsequent offense.

Shore Lawmaker Wants To Change State Tanning Law - New Jersey 101.5 FM

Good idea?

Any parent that would LET their child use a tanning bed needs to be fined $1,000 imo.

:cuckoo:

No. I think the parental requirement for a minor over 14 is fine.

But this makes me wonder if the Guidos and Guiettes in The Jersey Shore are beginning to influence legislation? :eusa_think:

I'd rather see my kids tan than get tattooed or pierced, and here in NJ, teens can get one with parent's permission. In fact, I believe there is no age limit with parental consent. Hypocritical if you ask me.

We are the nanny state. You name any possible societal problem or issue, and our "caring" lawmakers will legislate it. They just love getting their names in the paper.

In this economy, (and with the new tanning tax), it is irresponsible for lawmakers to punish local businesses. Getting sick of it.

I feel sorry for kids today. They can't make a move without being subject to a new law. Whether it's how many hours they can work, when they can drive in a car with friends, bicycle helmets, fatty snacks in school cafeterias, whatever. Every facet of life is legislated. What's ironic is that the same liberals who rebelled against authority in the 1960s are the absolute worst offender control freaks.

Bull.

getting a light tan is healthy. We need sunlight to manufacture vitamin D

However, many teens are so irresponsible, they they get a heavy burn instead of a light tan.

I've gotten a sunburn or 5 in my life and I'm just fine.

Skull, you honestly don't think anyone should wear sunscreen outside?

You DO know you can still get a light tan while wearing sunscreen, and get Vitamin D, right?

But like xotoxi says, without it most people will burn depending on their skin tones. Also, prevention is better than a doctor telling you at age 53 or whatever that you have skin cancer. I had a friend that died of it at age 42.

It's your choice as an adult to not wear it, but parents should be diligent about putting sunscreen on their kids if they are going to be exposed to sunlight for long times.

However, many teens are so irresponsible, they they get a heavy burn instead of a light tan.

I've gotten a sunburn or 5 in my life and I'm just fine.

Skull, you honestly don't think anyone should wear sunscreen outside?

You DO know you can still get a light tan while wearing sunscreen, and get Vitamin D, right?

But like xotoxi says, without it most people will burn depending on their skin tones. Also, prevention is better than a doctor telling you at age 53 or whatever that you have skin cancer. I had a friend that died of it at age 42.

It's your choice as an adult to not wear it, but parents should be diligent about putting sunscreen on their kids if they are going to be exposed to sunlight for long times.

I have never worn sunblock even as a kid.

Conventional wisdom is that you should be afraid of the sun. I don't buy it.

If you're going to be out in the sun for long periods then wear a hat and a light long sleeved shirt. Gooping up your skin with all kinds of shit will not work any better than a hat and a shirt.

New Topics

Forum List

Back