Windows Explorer Won't Recognize G, H, I, J and K Drives

WRONG!! George is correct, there is a Windows Explorer , it is entirely different than Internet Explorer.

OK... whatever superman... you take over.

Windows Explorer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wasn't trying to be an asshole, but if you're going to give someone some advice, make sure its vaild

So there is a Windows Explorer, but it's nothing more than a more lengthy path to exactly the same thing I told him to do. On my computer, clicking "start," then "my Documents" opens exactly the same window as "Windows Explorer" does. What I told him to do was a short cut compared to what he's been doing.

The information that I gave on the path to the drives he needs to get to was perfectly valid, and if you feel you have to tell people what they can say on here about being valid, make sure you know how to spell it big shot.

Last edited:
How are you removing the cards? Sometimes if you just pull out the card Windows will not recognize a new one until you reboot, mostly because it thinks the old one is still there somewhere. I would recommend right clicking on the drive in My Computer and using Eject before you take them out. The other alternative is to use the Safely Remove Hardware icon in your system tray.

WRONG!! George is correct, there is a Windows Explorer , it is entirely different than Internet Explorer.

I wasn't trying to be an asshole, but if you're going to give someone some advice, make sure its vaild

Umm this is a political board and most posters are well used to posting advice without regard to it's validity.

So there is a Windows Explorer, but it's nothing more than a more lengthy path to exactly the same thing I told him to do. On my computer, clicking "start," then "my Documents" opens exactly the same window as "Windows Explorer" does. What I told him to do was a short cut compared to what he's been doing.

The information that I gave on the path to the drives he needs to get to was perfectly valid, and if you feel you have to tell people what they can say on here about being valid, make sure you know how to spell it big shot.

Meh, I'm not going to argue. You clearly said that he needed to use internet explorer, and that was wrong. That would be like telling someone they needed to use Microsoft Word to paint a picture...

By the way, when you click on my documents , that opens windows explorer the same as if you click on my computer, only a different folder of it, in neither case are you using internet explorer.

As I said, I wasn't trying to be an asshole to you, but George needs solid advice and leading him down the wrong path won't help anyone.

Feel free to rant about a typo...........

When I open up Map Network Drive, I can select G in the first field. However, when I do, the second field remains blank, and the "Finish" button remains grayed out.

It wants me to designate a folder to "connect to" in the second field - the one that remains blank.

How are you removing the cards? Sometimes if you just pull out the card Windows will not recognize a new one until you reboot, mostly because it thinks the old one is still there somewhere. I would recommend right clicking on the drive in My Computer and using Eject before you take them out. The other alternative is to use the Safely Remove Hardware icon in your system tray.

I'm thinking the reconnect at login box just isn't check marked. it happens. I would suspect what you suggested if it was just one drive , but all the drives on the multicard aren't reading and its doubtful he uses them all.

There is also a token ring problem which can cause problems in vista with reading multicard readers but I don't thinkt that's george's issue, at least i hope not because that requires a registry repair, and that's a little beyond him.

I always use the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray.

Your chip reader driver is messed up?

Go to your computers manufacturers site and download and install a new chip reader driver for your computer model number.
What I would try.

I'm thinking the reconnect at login box just isn't check marked. it happens. I would suspect what you suggested if it was just one drive , but all the drives on the multicard aren't reading and its doubtful he uses them all.

There is also a token ring problem which can cause problems in vista with reading multicard readers but I don't thinkt that's george's issue, at least i hope not because that requires a registry repair, and that's a little beyond him.

No - registry repair is a LOT beyond me. I don't even utter the WORD, "registry" when I am within 100 feet of my computer . . .

I always use the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray.

That is not always the best way.

Using and Troubleshooting Memory Card Readers in Windows Vista and XP HP Pavilion Elite m9510f Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

The whole reader can go off if one card is pulled out wrong, depending on the driver and manufacturer.

BTW, I am not using a memory card reader of the type that connects to the computer at a USB port. The front of my computer has 4 slots in it, designed to hold various sized memory chips. Whatever reads those chips is internal to the computer, if that makes any difference.

Meh, I'm not going to argue. You clearly said that he needed to use internet explorer, and that was wrong. That would be like telling someone they needed to use Microsoft Word to paint a picture...
Now it's my turn to say WRONG!! I said nothing of the sort chief. I admit I wasn't aware of Windows Explorer because I've never used it, but I did NOT tell him he needed to use "Internet Explorer" to navigate the drives on his computer. Do yourself a favor and reread what I said.

By the way, when you click on my documents , that opens windows explorer the same as if you click on my computer, only a different folder of it,
Aaahh, yeah, that's exactly what I said.

in neither case are you using internet explorer.
Aaahh, no, I didn't say anything of the sort. You're confused.

As I said, I wasn't trying to be an asshole to you, but George needs solid advice and leading him down the wrong path won't help anyone.

Feel free to rant about a typo...........
I didn't lead him down a wrong path. For a know it all, you sure have a poor level for attention to detail.

Last edited:
I think both the external and internal card readers connect to the USB buss.
Just sort of a difference in their mounting location.

Forum List

Back