Windows Explorer Won't Recognize G, H, I, J and K Drives

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
You know those slots in the front of your computer that you stick your various chips into from your cameras? You know - when you want to put photos onto your hard drive?

What are those drives called? I know they have letter designations. On my computer, they are called G, H, I, J, and K drives. That's not what I mean. I mean, what are the drives themselves called?

For example, the hard drive is called - a hard drive. The CDRom drives are called CDRom drives. What are the "photo chip" drives called?

Here's why I ask . . . In order to work with the photos on those chips, you have to stick the chip into the computer and then go into Windows Explorer (or My Computer). Once in WE, you have to navigate to the drive where the photos are contained and then copy or move them from that drive (i.e., from the chip itself) into directories you have created on your hard drive. At least, that's they way I do it.

My problem is that, most of the time, when I stick the chip in there and then open up Windows Explorer, I can't find G, H, I, J and K drives anywhere. I navigate all over the place, and they flat are not there. Windows Explorer is not recognizing them. If I reboot, however, Windows Explorer will then recognize drives G, H, I, J and K, and I can go ahead and copy or move my photos to wherever I want.

I shouldn't have to do that - obviously.

So my first question is - what's going on and what can I do to correct the problem so that Windows Explorer will recognize drives G, H, I, J and K every time I open it up, without having to reboot in order to have that happen? BTW, I am running Vista Home.

Second question - once again: what do you CALL those "chip drives"? I know there is a name for them, but I just can't seem to come up with it. Reason I ask is, that I want to Google the problem to see if I can find anything on the Internet about it but, without knowing the name of those drives, I'm not going to get very far.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:
They work basically just like a USB flash drive does.
And should get assigned a drive letter when you plug a chip in them.

OK... first of all, it's Windows "Internet Explorer," and that's a program for viewing the internet, not working with your computer hardware.

What you should do is click on "start" at the bottom left of your desk top, then click on "my computer." That should open a window with a directory of things on your computer, such as "files stored on this computer, hard disk drives, *DEVICES WITH REMOVABLE STORAGE*, other, and scanners and cameras." The F, G, H, I, J and K you mention should be listed under "Devices With Removable Storage." The drive you've inserted the storage device in should recognize it and show it. You then should be able to click on that and open the storage device.

That's the way I do it with the digital chip from my camera.

Last edited:
Umm Windows Explorer is a file system utility part of winderz.
Not to be cornfused with windoze internet exploiter the web bruiser.

In my PC when I plug a chip in one of those slots I get a message that I have done so and look in "my computer" to see which drive letter it was assigned.

OK... first of all, it's Windows "Internet Explorer," and that's a program for viewing the internet, not working with your computer hardware.

What you should do is click on "start" at the bottom left of your desk top, then click on "my computer." That should open a window with a directory of things on your computer, such as "files stored on this computer, hard disk drives, *DEVICES WITH REMOVABLE STORAGE*, other, and scanners and cameras." The F, G, H, I, J and K you mention should be listed under Devices With Removable Storage. The drive you've inserted the storage device in should recognize it and show it. You then should be able to click on that and open the storage device.

WRONG!! George is correct, there is a Windows Explorer , it is entirely different than Internet Explorer.

George, if I understand you correctly it seems that your computer is not mapping to your drives correctly. You can manually map them. Give me a little more detail on what your problem is though so we can fix it.

That is what the cards are called. I need to know what the DRIVES are called that receive the data from the memory cards when they are placed into the slots in the front of the computer.

The plastic where you put memory card into is no drive itself.
The memory card is the drive. By plugging them into PC front plastic they should get "mounted" automatically as the mentioned J,K drive letters.

If there is something called "Hardware Manager" in Windows you must look there.
Or try mount them in a console. Sorry, I'm no windows user can't hep from here on.

go to start
go to my computer
go to what ever "drive" it is. It will look at a memory card like a memory stick.

What you should do is click on "start" at the bottom left of your desk top, then click on "my computer." That should open a window with a directory of things on your computer, such as "files stored on this computer, hard disk drives, *DEVICES WITH REMOVABLE STORAGE*, other, and scanners and cameras." The F, G, H, I, J and K you mention should be listed under Devices With Removable Storage. The drive you've inserted the storage device in should recognize it and show it. You then should be able to click on that and open the storage device.

WRONG!! George is correct, there is a Windows Explorer , it is entirely different than Internet Explorer.

George, if I understand you correctly it seems that your computer is not mapping to your drives correctly. You can manually map them. Give me a little more detail on what your problem is though so we can fix it.

First off, I guess that "Computer" under the Start button, is pretty much the same thing as Windows Explorer. I use WE.

OK - my problem is very simple. When I open up WE with a chip stuck in one of my photo slots, WE does not show the drive the chip is stuck into. Simple as that. If I reboot, magically, all of my "chip drives" will then appear, and I can conduct my business. I think you have described my problem accurately - for some reason, WE is not mapping drives G, H, I, J and K, properly.

In my PC when I plug a chip in one of those slots I get a message that I have done so and look in "my computer" to see which drive letter it was assigned.

That's exactly how mine works too. Nothing complicated about it.

Except for the fact that, when I do that, nothing appears, i.e., if I have stuck the chip into the slot for "G Drive," G Drive does not appear in My Computer.

First off, I guess that "Computer" under the Start button, is pretty much the same thing as Windows Explorer. I use WE.

OK - my problem is very simple. When I open up WE with a chip stuck in one of my photo slots, WE does not show the drive the chip is stuck into. Simple as that. If I reboot, magically, all of my "chip drives" will then appear, and I can conduct my business. I think you have described my problem accurately - for some reason, WE is not mapping drives G, H, I, J and K, properly.

do they appear on the list when you open WE. In other words, do you see the G H I J and K. by the way for future reference that is a single piece and is simply called a mutlicard reader

do they appear on the list when you open WE. In other words, do you see the G H I J and K. by the way for future reference that is a single piece and is simply called a mutlicard reader

No, they don't appear on the list when I open WE. It lists C Drive and D Drive, but that's it.

Again, however, if I REBOOT, then all of those multicard reader drives DO appear in WE.

No, they don't appear on the list when I open WE. It lists C Drive and D Drive, but that's it.

Again, however, if I REBOOT, then all of those multicard reader drives DO appear in WE.

Ok, go into windows explorer, there is a button labeled map to drive. in the drop down box, select letter G in the second drop down box it SHOULD automatically fill in the path, then below that there is a checkbox for reconnect at login, make sure that is checked, by default it won't be.try that for Drive G, if it corrects the problem do so for all four drives if it doesn you have another issue and I'll explain that to you

in vista map to network drive is under tools. sorry i forgot that

Forum List

Back