Windows Explorer Won't Recognize G, H, I, J and K Drives

When I open up Map Network Drive, I can select G in the first field. However, when I do, the second field remains blank, and the "Finish" button remains grayed out.

It wants me to designate a folder to "connect to" in the second field - the one that remains blank.

ok then, this is definitely your issue , you're computer is not automatically mapping those drives

First you must go into your networking page in windows explorer and get the paths for each of those drives, they should show up whether mapped to your profile or not . the should be //nameofyourcomputer//sharename one for each letter. tell me if you see this

BTW, I am not using a memory card reader of the type that connects to the computer at a USB port. The front of my computer has 4 slots in it, designed to hold various sized memory chips. Whatever reads those chips is internal to the computer, if that makes any difference.

An internal card reader is a part of the motherboard and not connected via usb or anything like that.

When I open up Map Network Drive, I can select G in the first field. However, when I do, the second field remains blank, and the "Finish" button remains grayed out.

It wants me to designate a folder to "connect to" in the second field - the one that remains blank.

ok then, this is definitely your issue , you're computer is not automatically mapping those drives

First you must go into your networking page in windows explorer and get the paths for each of those drives, they should show up whether mapped to your profile or not . the should be //nameofyourcomputer//sharename one for each letter. tell me if you see this

My networking page in windows explorer . . . . right. And how do I go into there?

Do you mean the networking FOLDER?

Last edited:
BTW, I am not using a memory card reader of the type that connects to the computer at a USB port. The front of my computer has 4 slots in it, designed to hold various sized memory chips. Whatever reads those chips is internal to the computer, if that makes any difference.

An internal card reader is a part of the motherboard and not connected via usb or anything like that.

Internal USB connection. It does not have to be physically connected to the external appearance of the USB.
Remember the USB cable comes from the Motherboard.

Sounds to me like if it works perfect after you reboot, but it doesn't after you've used it once, then there's some sort corruption in the driver for that reader, or the OS.

In other words, it's not a hardware problem, it's a software problem.

Last edited:

My networking page in windows explorer . . . . right. And how do I go into there?

start - control panel - network

Sounds to me like if it works perfect after you reboot, but it doesn't after you've used it once, then there's some sort corruption in the driver for that reader, or the OS.

I think that's about it. I can't say for sure that it doesn't work twice in a row. I only know that if it doesn't work, it will work if I reboot.

OK, - you are going to have to give me a step by step. I can get into Network as you indicate, but what then? Give me a complete step by step that will take me to where I will either see what I am supposed to see or not. For example, in Control Panel, there is no such thing as just "Network." You have to make choices. Help me out here.

Last edited:

Internal USB connection. It does not have to be physically connected to the external appearance of the USB.
Remember the USB cable comes from the Motherboard.

true, i was thinking only of the card type readers that fit into a standard pc slot or are soldered directly to the motherboard

I think that's about it. I can't say for sure that it doesn't work twice in a row. I only know that if it doesn't work, it will work if I reboot.

It's definitely a software problem. It sounds to me like there's some corruption. I'd use my "system restore" disks if I was you and just refresh my O.S..

Thanks for all the help, guys. I have to sign off for the evening. I will come back to this thread tomorrow and hopefully we can get this problem solved. Thanks again!

OK, - you are going to have to give me a step by step. I can get into Network as you indicate, but what then? Give me a complete step by step that will take me to where I will either see what I am supposed to see or not. For example, in Control Panel, there is no such thing as just "Network." You have to make choices. Help me out here.

There should be a button on top labeled network map click on it

There should be a button on top labeled network map click on it

I'm back - briefly. I don't see a button labeled Network Map anywhere. Sorry.

I go to Control Panel. Then, under Network and Internet, I click on View Network Status and Tasks - is that right? When i do, I don't see any Network Map button anywhere.

Oh, I found it. It says: "View Network Map." OK - I clicked on it. Now what?

Edit note: Too late. I'm off to bed. I'll check it manana.

Last edited:
Online help.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp-uKlhXvmo]YouTube - ‪Funny Tech Support‬‎[/ame]

Watch the whole video, the last part could be very helpful for your situation.

Last edited:
Online help.

YouTube - ‪Funny Tech Support‬‎

Watch the whole video, the last part could be very helpful for your situation.

I can't tell you how grateful I am for this! All of our children are grown and long gone from our home, but our next door neighbor has an 8-year-old. I saw him out in the yard this morning and asked if he would mind coming into our house and helping me with a problem I was having with my computer. He said he would be glad to.

The police have just left. Because I have no record, they issued me a citation and did not arrest me. I will be arraigned in three weeks. I have to go now, however - there is a large group of very angry people out front, trying to break into my house . . .

Last edited:
But, back to reality . . .

Here's one for ya (ConHog): this morning I got up and, just for the heck of it, clicked on Start/Computer. You got it. Drives H,I,J and K are all there, big as life. I did not turn the computer off overnight - I generally leave it on 24/7.

But, back to reality . . .

Here's one for ya (ConHog): this morning I got up and, just for the heck of it, clicked on Start/Computer. You got it. Drives H,I,J and K are all there, big as life. I did not turn the computer off overnight - I generally leave it on 24/7.

I never turn my computers off

I'm telling you the problem is that they are not mapping every time. Go into network like I showed you last night and go to map nework drive and then in the drop down box choose any of them and make sure that box labeled reconnecct is checkmarked, if it isn't check it, then do it for all the other drives to. if it IS checked you have another problem.

Forum List

Back