Windows 8 Tips and Support

On the bright side, I have an old Microsoft BIG HUGE GAMES Rise of Nations game that I just love. It would not run at all on Windows 7 so I couldn't play it on my new laptop, and it was annoying to have to get out one of the older ones to play it.

So I just loaded it into the new computer and it runs perfectly with Windows 8--looks beautiful on my 24" monitor and I am thrilled. :)

Last edited:
C&C Generals still runs fine :)
I use Metro mainly as Gamesexplorer starting it via vbs file :)

I'm sure that makes perfectly good sense in whatever language you're speaking. :)

I put int he CD in the CD thingee and then do what it tells me to do. If anything else is required, I'm sunk. :)

I'm sure that makes perfectly good sense in whatever language you're speaking. :)

I put int he CD in the CD thingee and then do what it tells me to do. If anything else is required, I'm sunk. :)
Then you could have a problem installing Generals :D
You might need to a proper config-file to run it with Win7/8, depends on your CPU. You should run it in compatibility mode, Win XP SP2.

And find a mod you like :D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1SLnXy-k7g]Be in command of the Israeli army! - YouTube[/ame]

by the way: type this in notepad and save it as vbs file. This starts Metro at double click.
set ws = CreateObject("Wscript.shell")
ws.sendkeys("^{ESC}")

Then you could have a problem installing Generals :D
You might need to a proper config-file to run it with Win7/8, depends on your CPU. You should run it in compatibility mode, Win XP SP2.

And find a mod you like :D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1SLnXy-k7g]Be in command of the Israeli army! - YouTube[/ame]

by the way: type this in notepad and save it as vbs file. This starts Metro at double click.
set ws = CreateObject("Wscript.shell")
ws.sendkeys("^{ESC}")

Is this an interactive game with other players? It looks similar to Rise of Nations in its formatting. I could play Rise of Nations on line against other players, but never have. Just prefer the solo mode and let the computer run the other nations I have to battle. Goes from a very primitive area through the millenia to the modern nuclear warfare age, but once you learn the basic commands to get your cities built, your industries going, your armies in place, etc., you can pretty much do it all intuitively. Which is important to me.

So if you need a lot of hot keys, etc. to run Generals, that wouldn't be the game for me. Our son gave a wonderful flight similator program where we can fly all these different kinds of airplanes all over the world using very realistic maps, take off and land at all the major world airports, etc. But it required use of so many different keys and things that it just wasn't fun for me. I crashed my plane more than I flew it. :)

But I am really really happy that Rise of Nations runs on Windows 8.

I have noticed one quirk happening frequently though. Like often when I try to utilize the buttons on USMB to switch screens for something, I get a gray screen that doesn't load. So I use the back button and try again, and usually the second time it loads. But sometimes I have to completely exit AOL and restart it before I can get USMB to work. I have bypassed AOL at times and just use Explorer or Comcast to access USMB but sometimes the same thing happens with the gray screen. So I am pretty sure the problem isn't AOL.

Is that likely a problem with Windows 8? Or my HP computer? Or is it the USMB program itself?

On the bright side, I have an old Microsoft BIG HUGE GAMES Rise of Nations game that I just love. It would not run at all on Windows 7 so I couldn't play it on my new laptop, and it was annoying to have to get out one of the older ones to play it.

So I just loaded it into the new computer and it runs perfectly with Windows 8--looks beautiful on my 24" monitor and I am thrilled. :)

I had a couple of XP games that refused to work on vista but loaded perfectly well on Win 7.

I had a couple of XP games that refused to work on vista but loaded perfectly well on Win 7.

Weird. I didn't have anything that ran on XP that didn't do okay with Vista, but Windows 7 was a problem for two or three things I tried to load. For isntance I have a Logo Translator program that I depend on extensively to communicate with a few friends who have limited English skills. It would not run on Windows 7. Runs perfectly on Windows 8.

So if you need a lot of hot keys, etc. to run Generals, that wouldn't be the game for me. Our son gave a wonderful flight similator program where we can fly all these different kinds of airplanes all over the world using very realistic maps, take off and land at all the major world airports, etc. But it required use of so many different keys and things that it just wasn't fun for me. I crashed my plane more than I flew it. :)

But I am really really happy that Rise of Nations runs on Windows 8.
It has an online mode, but there are very few players and most of them cheat (very old game). I play it offline, because you can create hard matches, even ones, one simply can not win. 1 vs 7 e.g.
And no, it is not hard to lunch the game, simply use a shortcut to the exe file. Just the installation could require a trick.. The Metro thingy with the vbs file is just for my convenience. You must know that I don´t like many icons on my desktop.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Command-Conquer-First-Decade-Pc/dp/B000CPKIT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357510863&sr=8-1&keywords=the+first+decade]Amazon.com: Command and Conquer the First Decade: Video Games[/ame]

I have noticed one quirk happening frequently though. Like often when I try to utilize the buttons on USMB to switch screens for something, I get a gray screen that doesn't load. So I use the back button and try again, and usually the second time it loads. But sometimes I have to completely exit AOL and restart it before I can get USMB to work. I have bypassed AOL at times and just use Explorer or Comcast to access USMB but sometimes the same thing happens with the gray screen. So I am pretty sure the problem isn't AOL.

Is that likely a problem with Windows 8? Or my HP computer? Or is it the USMB program itself?
I have no such problem. Do you have this on other vbulletin forums too?

Not sure who all uses vbulletin because I don't pay much attention to that. But I have noticed that some websites are just more reluctant to load than others though I usually do get them to kick in eventually. And this is a really powerful computer. Might be some quirk in ny security. Am also having some issues with the Adobe Acrobat that came with Windows 8, and don't seem to have an Adobe Reader at all. I think I'll go ahead and hunt that up and load it.

Not sure who all uses vbulletin because I don't pay much attention to that. But I have noticed that some websites are just more reluctant to load than others though I usually do get them to kick in eventually. And this is a really powerful computer. Might be some quirk in ny security. Am also having some issues with the Adobe Acrobat that came with Windows 8, and don't seem to have an Adobe Reader at all. I think I'll go ahead and hunt that up and load it.
Try it out. Most forums use vbuletin. And try it with another browser as method of eliminiation. To read pdfs I use Nitro PDF.

Okay, I just made a few trips around the internet to visit some old haunts using vbulletin and also experienced some quirky things, so it is either my computer or Windows 8 that isn't playing well with vbulletin. Nothing I can't live with. I just like to fix stuff if its fixable in a language I can understand. (And that has to be REALLY simple language. :))

Okay, I just made a few trips around the internet to visit some old haunts using vbulletin and also experienced some quirky things, so it is either my computer or Windows 8 that isn't playing well with vbulletin. Nothing I can't live with. I just like to fix stuff if its fixable in a language I can understand. (And that has to be REALLY simple language. :))
You maybe post your problem in a computerforum or if you are useing Firefox in the help chat.

I haven't had any issues with vbulletin, except for one, and I'm pretty sure that was the browser I was using. After I installed the latest beta version of that browser, everything worked just fine.

I suppose I could install Firefox and see if that works better. I'm just so comfortable with explorer it's hard to switch.

You also can press F12 in the open IE10 and then choose IE9 as browsermode and document mode. Maybe this works better with vbulletin.

Last edited:
What browser do you use Alan? I'm using the latest Internet Explorer.

I for one refuse to use IE, every computer virus I or my wife have ever had came via IE and I know how to make my system secure. I played with many different ones but always keep coming back to Firefox.

Forum List

Back