Windows 8 Tips and Support

I am gradually making my peace with Windows 8 and, while annoying to go the extra steps to shut down, etc., have not had too many frustrations in the last couple of days. I couldn't access that "Startisback" site however. Not sure if it is my computer security that is preventing it or something wrong with the website, but oh well. Again, I am simply not proficient or savvy enough in the techie stuff to be comfortable venturing into an unknown that I don't have to have.

I still think Windows 8 is a cruel and unusual punishment that Microsoft has foisted off on us.

I am gradually making my peace with Windows 8 and, while annoying to go the extra steps to shut down, etc., have not had too many frustrations in the last couple of days. I couldn't access that "Startisback" site however. Not sure if it is my computer security that is preventing it or something wrong with the website, but oh well. Again, I am simply not proficient or savvy enough in the techie stuff to be comfortable venturing into an unknown that I don't have to have.

I still think Windows 8 is a cruel and unusual punishment that Microsoft has foisted off on us.

Their last innovative OS change was Win95, which it then took two more tries before they got that big change successful with Win98se. Everything after that has basically been a continuation of the Win95 format including Windows 7...no radical change for 17 years.
Windows 8 is radically different...which would be OK if the difference was good. It is not. Unless you are one of the few who have a touch device running on it - and then it is only marginal when measured against other offerings.
Thanks to hacker who put up a simple-step process on Youtube - my son is now dual booting Linux Mint and he is happy now.

Startisback is a normal site and program. Just because it is new it is not bad. Startisback.com is accessible to everybody. No Hitler or Satan inside the site or program :)

Go to cnetdownload:

Startisback downloads - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I haven't tried it, don't have or want Win8, but if you decide to install it do not ever use the "standard" or "optimal" installation option. Always use the "advanced" option so you can see what else might get installed with the program you want and be able to unselect the junk you don't want, if it's there.

I haven't tried it, don't have or want Win8, but if you decide to install it do not ever use the "standard" or "optimal" installation option. Always use the "advanced" option so you can see what else might get installed with the program you want and be able to unselect the junk you don't want, if it's there.
No advanced option. No toolbar, startpage, chrome or any other additional program comes with Startisback. If you want a clean tool with a full featured (plus even more features) and native Win7-Startmenue, use Startisback. No tool runs in background, no systemfiles will be changed, all Metro features are available. Wouldn´t post it here, if it were not like this!

sibz.jpg

Last edited:
No advanced option. No toolbar, startpage, chrome or any other additional program comes with Startisback. If you want a clean tool with a full featured (plus even more features) and native Win7-Startmenue, use Startisback. No tool runs in background, no systemfiles will be changed, all Metro features are available. Wouldn´t post it here, if it were not like this!

sibz.jpg

It's just a general warning for downloading and installing any non-M$ software. There are many extremely good open-source applications available but some offer third party software as a default which is why I always recommend using the advanced installation option if it is available.

It's just a general warning for downloading and installing any non-M$ software. There are many extremely good open-source applications available but some offer third party software as a default which is why I always recommend using the advanced installation option if it is available.
That´s right. startw8 does so. But Startisback is neither open-source software nor is it free (what does not mean it could not contain adware nevertheless). Its a 30 day trial.

Since my new computer didn't come with a blu-ray player, I quickly voided the warranty and yanked the blu-ray from the old machine and installed it in the new machine. Win8 still doesn't support blu-ray, but I had Cyberlink Powerdvd10 on the machine from the manufacturer. Unfortunately, not all versions of Powerdvd10 handle blu-ray. I purchased and downloaded Cyberlink Powerdvd12.

What the heck? After installing it, the computer no longer showed either the original dvd drive player or the blu-ray drive. Also, neither drive would work. I could put a disc in and hear it spinning, but nothing would happen. I fiddled around with it off and on for two days and nothing worked. I finally managed to find someplace in Win8 (can't recall how I got there) where it told me the drivers for both disc drives were corrupt. I re-installed the drives, and still no luck, the drives wouldn't work.

I un-installed Powerdvd12 and they still didn't work. Re-installed the drivers again, and still they didn't work. AAARRHHGGG!! How frustrating. Finally, I did a system restore back to the point before I had installed Powerdvd12. Presto magico, the computer now recognized the drives and they worked. But...... the blu-ray capability was not there.

Now that everything was working again, I established a new system restore point. I re-installed Powerdvd12. Everything worked, computer sees the disc drives and a blu-ray movie will play. :confused: I am happy again.

So, my advice is this.......
If you have a blu-ray drive and you want to install Cyberlink Powerdvd12, before installing it, set a system restore point. If it corrupts your disc drive drivers, go back to your system restore point and then try again.

Oh, by the way, whilst putting in the blu-ray drive I also installed 4 additional gigs of RAM (old machine to new machine, same RAM) for a total of 12 gigs RAM and I put the old SATA drive into the new machine. Total storage is now 2 terabytes.

That´s right. startw8 does so. But Startisback is neither open-source software nor is it free (what does not mean it could not contain adware nevertheless). Its a 30 day trial.

Again, it was just a general warning, nothing more. I also will not purchase software since there is always a workable open source version available but it won't matter for me since I will never use Win8. When it gets to the point that Win7 is no longer supported, and nothing similar has been offered by M$ my transfer over to Linux will become final.

Again, it was just a general warning, nothing more. I also will not purchase software since there is always a workable open source version available but it won't matter for me since I will never use Win8. When it gets to the point that Win7 is no longer supported, and nothing similar has been offered by M$ my transfer over to Linux will become final.
Windows 8 appears to be very good, fast and stable. Better then Win7.

Tip for the Upgrade-Version.
After you have Upgraded to Windows 8, you have the Windows.old folder, which contains the old Windows. It´s good for nothing, but you can not delete it. I have a small SSD, so thats bad. Ok, this is how to get rid of it:

1. Got to properties of your C: Drive and click Disk Cleanup
disk-cleanup.jpg

2. A new window appears. There you click Clean up system files:
windows-8-disk-cleanup.png

3. Another new window. Here you can delete the files of the old Windows installation and temp files of the Windows 8 installation process:
ssd-on-windows-8-tips-315x400.png

Last edited:
I will say for Windows 8 that whatever quirk was causing occasional freeze up with Windows 7 both on my laptop and Mr. Foxfyre's PC does not occur with Windows 8. And it is indeed very fast.

Go to cnetdownload:

Startisback downloads - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I like it.
I've trusted cnet for years, no worries about malware.

When Vista came out I went full fledged Linux Ubuntu then switched to Mint after Unity was foisted on the Ubuntu community. When Win 7 came out I gave it a shot and had no problems with it so I kept it for some applications and Linux for others. The primary Linux distros are getting more user-friendly with every release and a lot of companies are starting to cater to the Linux community, Valve/Steam, gaming has been one of the Linux shortcomings, are now supporting Linux, removing one negative that has kept many from migrating over to Linux.
Like I posted earlier, I worked on the user end Win8 beta and hated it so I have no desire to use it now, but that's just my personal preference, what others may do is their business based on their preferences.

When Vista came out I went full fledged Linux Ubuntu then switched to Mint after Unity was foisted on the Ubuntu community. When Win 7 came out I gave it a shot and had no problems with it so I kept it for some applications and Linux for others. The primary Linux distros are getting more user-friendly with every release and a lot of companies are starting to cater to the Linux community, Valve/Steam, gaming has been one of the Linux shortcomings, are now supporting Linux, removing one negative that has kept many from migrating over to Linux.
Like I posted earlier, I worked on the user end Win8 beta and hated it so I have no desire to use it now, but that's just my personal preference, what others may do is their business based on their preferences.
Sure. I was using the Win 8 betas and pre-betas since the Developer Preview and never liked the Modern UI. I searched for and even created solutions to get a startmenu.
One Example:
79689024.jpg

Or here:
Reflecting on your comments on the Start screen - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Well, my preference would have been an upgraded and better version of Windows 7 and, other than a very occasional freeze, Win 7 has served me well for a year on my laptop. Windows 8 still is annoying that some things require so many extra steps to do than on the old famliar system--and there is absolutely no reason why those extra steps should be necessary--but I am getting through most days without my blood pressure rising now. I do keep my Windows 8 for Dummies book nearby though because I still need it when I need to do something I don't do every day.

Well, my preference would have been an upgraded and better version of Windows 7 and, other than a very occasional freeze, Win 7 has served me well for a year on my laptop. Windows 8 still is annoying that some things require so many extra steps to do than on the old famliar system--and there is absolutely no reason why those extra steps should be necessary--but I am getting through most days without my blood pressure rising now. I do keep my Windows 8 for Dummies book nearby though because I still need it when I need to do something I don't do every day.
Some people love XP and won't upgrade, some actually like Vista, some Win7, some Win8 and others different versions of Linux. All have their pluses and minuses which are primarily defined by each user so I never push one over the other. Win 7 has never frozen up on me, that I can remember and I think my main objection to Win8 is it reminds me (somewhat) of Ubuntu's Unity interface which I hate, again personal preference.
For most Windows users they will have to learn Win8 at some point in time as it will port with new computer sales even though most manufactures will load Win 7 instead if the customer asks for it.

Some people love XP and won't upgrade, some actually like Vista, some Win7, some Win8 and others different versions of Linux. All have their pluses and minuses which are primarily defined by each user so I never push one over the other. Win 7 has never frozen up on me, that I can remember and I think my main objection to Win8 is it reminds me (somewhat) of Ubuntu's Unity interface which I hate, again personal preference.
For most Windows users they will have to learn Win8 at some point in time as it will port with new computer sales even though most manufactures will load Win 7 instead if the customer asks for it.

For the completely untechy types like me who love their computers and the ease of doing tasks that it provides as well as the information and connectedness to the world and just having fun that it offers, utility is the #1 factor. We want things user friendly, obvious, and operated via natural intuitiveness. Windows 8 is none of that so I am actually having to learn it as I would have to learn the basics of using Word, Excel, or how to send email from my Comcast account, etc.

And that is annoying.

We have scrapped our old computers with Windows 95 and 98 and whatever was just before that, but I recall they all worked. Even our PCs using XP have now gone to computer heaven.

I have XP on my old Sony laptop and it still works fine as all we use that computer for is games anymore. XP was an excellent operating system though and I loved it the first time I used it.

So my newer Sony laptop came with Vista. For how I used that computer--almost exclusively as a work computer using only Word and Excel and AOL for email--it worked perfectly well with no noticable quirks or issues.

So my newest laptop--a year old now--came with Windows 7. As did Hombre's new PC, a little over a year old. We have both experienced some computer freezes--not enough to be a serious thing--but maybe it is a problem with HP instead of Windows 7? I dunno.

But my brand new PC (an HP) has the Windows 8 and so far no operating issues of any kind. It's just that functionality is no longer the intuitive natural thing it once was.

Forum List

Back