Windows 8 Tips and Support

Discussion in 'Computers' started by alan1, Dec 26, 2012.

1. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    This thread is for people to offer Windows 8 advice, tips or tricks and for people to ask questions about Windows 8 (and hopefully get some answers).

2. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    When the computer starts up, you see all those "tiles" that will open different applications. If you right-click on a tile, at the bottom of the screen is an option to "unpin". If you select that, then it won't show at start-up. I "unpinned" a bunch of garbage that I know I will never use. It made it easier to find things I do use frequently.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    My old computer failed due to a cracked motherboard (long story that I won't bore you with), but the hard drive was still good.
    I just installed the old hard drive into the new computer and Win8 allowed me to get my saved files and documents. A success, since it had been a while since I had done a backup.

Win8 doesn't include the the Windows Media Player that has been common with Windows for years, but using explorer, I can open the Windows media player on my old hard drive with my new Win8 computer and it works.
    Sadly, the old Windows games like solitaire and minesweeper will not execute.

4. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,344
    Thanks for the thread, Alan. I'll be back tomorrow. Just signing in tonight and then headed for bed.

5. Connery

Connery BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,276
    Look in the Microsoft Store I found them there and they are free, as well as many other free games. There are games for a price too.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,344
    Well I am now in Day 2 of dealing with Windows 8 and the frustration level has not subsided in the least. Some of the simplest things, like safely removing hardware (my external hard drive) simply cannot be dome imtuitively as it could be on all other Windows systems. I am finally getting the desk top set up sufficiently that I can function but sheesh. What maniac decided this was a good idea?

7. Connery

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,276
    There is an app called windows 8 cheat keys and tips look in the windows store it may address your issue.

It is a good idea to familiarize yourself first with the OS before attempting tasks such as what you describe.

8. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,344
    Tasks such as I describe? Unplugging the external drive to put it away should be a no brainer I would think. Used to be the simplest of tasks. Thus the frustration level.

Other simple things like checking the disk capacity or defragging or accessing what used to be "my computer" are still mystifying. I don't think adding unfamiliar 'cheat keys' would reduce my frustration level any. :)

9. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,344
    And Alan, I am also dealing with a new computer due to a failed mother board in my old one. However, my old hard drive was only 80 gigs and completely inadequate for modern day usage. So little by little I can transfer my data to the new computer. (It has a 1000 gigs of space Not having a lot of luck getting the new computer to accept the data from the external hard drive though.) I did just figure out how to pin the computer to the task bar so I can access the control panel now.

10. Connery

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,276
    My point is windows 8 is an entirely new "look", it takes time to get acquainted with it. Just a suggestion.