Will The Republicans Ever Figure Out Why They Lost

The rabid loons overrunning the GOP will never stop believing "We wuz robbed!" They just won't.

They were doing victory laps MONTHS before the election. They had convinced themselves the race was already won, and then stopped to enjoy a nice lunch, and fell into a deep sleep from which they have yet to awaken.

Meanwhile, Obama trudged past the finish line.

Whenever Obama puts something on the table, the rubes don't bother reading it or listening to what Obama is saying. No. Instead, they tune into their favorite demagogue and hold out their piss buckets to be filled for their personal consumption.

The messages the puppeteers emit have no connection to any reality of what's on the table. The puppeteers orchestrate an elaborate fantasy which contains plenty of key words and catchphrases the minions will incessantly trade with each other over the coming weeks, months, and years until these things become Truth through repetition and mass belief.

Fragile but fierce looking straw men with an "OBAMA" sign around their necks are constructed for the mindless to tear down in an orgy of self-righteousness. And this is how they come to have visions of candy canes and landslides on The Night Before Election.

When they get up in the morning and rush with glee to unwrap their presents, the find the boxes are empty.

WHAT!?!? WE WUZ ROBBED!!!!

Somewhere out there, beyond the artifices and the smoke and the mirrors, there is reality. Will the GOP ever find its way back there?

Stay tuned.

95 % of the electorate know only of politics what theyhear on the news.

And when it is news that Romney thinks women should be in binders and not news when a candidate knocks the accents of Indians....it is quite dificult to win anything.

I was stuck watching NBC news from my siuster in laws after the floods. We had no home, heat or electircity.

According to NBC, right before the election, Obama and his team had done a magnificent job for the victims of the floods....outstanding job.....5 days after the floods and all were on the road to recovery....money was flowing to the areas that needed; all were thrilled withthe response time......

Well....all except the victims of the fucking floods!

Here's the thing: The two need not be mutually exclusive.

The Republicans know that the media (for the most part) is against them. So why in the world do they bend over and take it, by trotting out nominees who are easy targets? Why do they keep saying stupid things that the media can run with? Why do they intimidate their own presidential candidates into being afraid to accept one dollar for tax increases for ten dollars in tax cuts?

Yes, the Dems and the media were able to take the attention off the economy. They were able to do so because the Republicans helped them do it.

well...it depends on what you say is a "stupid thing"...

For example....Biden makes a comment about Indian accents at the 7-11 and he is portrayed as "Joe being Joe; he means no harm......"

Romney talks about how he received binders filled with womens resumes and beaucse he left out the word resumes, (only a fool would think that he was referring to actual women in binders) he is portrayed as saying a really really REALLY stupid thing.

It is not so much that the GOP candidates say stupid things. It is easy to make something SOUND stuipid if you really want to....so no matter what they say, one can spin it into stupidity.

I mean.....look at this week alone. Sununu used the word "lazy" to describe a man who seemed lethargic during a campaign, and now he is labelled as a racist becuase that man happened to be black....and there is an entire thread of lefties supporting the claim!

You are in denial. Language and context matter, and the Party does not get to define them is the point. We have to be very careful how we use language.

yep. Language and context matter.

Well, in the context of what he was saying, Romney made it quite clear that he was referring to resumes.....he even used his hands to show he was holding a "binder of resumes" as he spoke.

But that was not how it was portrayed.

And you know it.

The rabid loons overrunning the GOP will never stop believing "We wuz robbed!" They just won't.

They were doing victory laps MONTHS before the election. They had convinced themselves the race was already won, and then stopped to enjoy a nice lunch, and fell into a deep sleep from which they have yet to awaken.

Meanwhile, Obama trudged past the finish line.

Whenever Obama puts something on the table, the rubes don't bother reading it or listening to what Obama is saying. No. Instead, they tune into their favorite demagogue and hold out their piss buckets to be filled for their personal consumption.

The messages the puppeteers emit have no connection to any reality of what's on the table. The puppeteers orchestrate an elaborate fantasy which contains plenty of key words and catchphrases the minions will incessantly trade with each other over the coming weeks, months, and years until these things become Truth through repetition and mass belief.

Fragile but fierce looking straw men with an "OBAMA" sign around their necks are constructed for the mindless to tear down in an orgy of self-righteousness. And this is how they come to have visions of candy canes and landslides on The Night Before Election.

When they get up in the morning and rush with glee to unwrap their presents, the find the boxes are empty.

WHAT!?!? WE WUZ ROBBED!!!!

Somewhere out there, beyond the artifices and the smoke and the mirrors, there is reality. Will the GOP ever find its way back there?

Stay tuned.

95 % of the electorate know only of politics what theyhear on the news.

And when it is news that Romney thinks women should be in binders and not news when a candidate knocks the accents of Indians....it is quite dificult to win anything.

I was stuck watching NBC news from my siuster in laws after the floods. We had no home, heat or electircity.

According to NBC, right before the election, Obama and his team had done a magnificent job for the victims of the floods....outstanding job.....5 days after the floods and all were on the road to recovery....money was flowing to the areas that needed; all were thrilled withthe response time......

Well....all except the victims of the fucking floods!

Still working at blaming external forces, eh?

The media has always been in the bag for the Left. That didn't stop Reagan, or Bush I or Bush II.

No. Sorry, my friend. The GOP is impotent. They can't get it up any more. The problem is in the internal plumbing.

LOL...it was the Democrats and the main stream media that kept the dialog focused on ANYTHING other than the economy and the deficit not the "radicals" in the GOP.

The Republicans know that the media (for the most part) is against them. So why in the world do they bend over and take it, by trotting out nominees who are easy targets? Why do they keep saying stupid things that the media can run with? Why do they intimidate their own presidential candidates into being afraid to accept one dollar for tax increases for ten dollars in tax cuts?

Yes, the Dems and the media were able to take the attention off the economy. They were able to do so because the Republicans helped them do it.

For example....Biden makes a comment about Indian accents at the 7-11 and he is portrayed as "Joe being Joe; he means no harm......"

Romney talks about how he received binders filled with womens resumes and beaucse he left out the word resumes, (only a fool would think that he was referring to actual women in binders) he is portrayed as saying a really really REALLY stupid thing.

It is not so much that the GOP candidates say stupid things. It is easy to make something SOUND stuipid if you really want to....so no matter what they say, one can spin it into stupidity.

I mean.....look at this week alone. Sununu used the word "lazy" to describe a man who seemed lethargic during a campaign, and now he is labelled as a racist becuase that man happened to be black....and there is an entire thread of lefties supporting the claim!

Here's the difference between the stuff Biden said and the stuff the GOP candidates and nominees said: They said, on a wide variety of occasions, stuff that played directly, and I mean directly, into their very worst stereotypes. All the press and the Dems had to do was say "hey, look at that!"...

Comments about women ("slut"), rape ("legitimate rape"), religious zealotry ("God caused those hurricanes as a sign"), corporatism ("Corporations are people"), the poor ("I can't worry about the 47%") -- whether or not they were really meant in the worst possible way, it's easy to paint them as if they were.

The Republicans made it easy for the Dems, and the Dems ran with it. If the Republicans really think this shit doesn't hurt them, that's their call.

The math is simple.

Divide the electorate into 3 parts. Right, center, left.

Conservatives want the Republican party to be a party of the right. Conservatives hate centrists.

Democrats want a center/left party. Liberals do not hate centrists.

The more conservatives win the above argument, the more the GOP is the party of the Right,

and the Democrats are the party of the Center/Left.

That math is devastating for the Republican party.

Well that's not true, but thanks for entertaining us.

The truth is America is more conservative than it is liberal...but the Democrats have done a great job (with help from a compliant main stream media) of painting the GOP as a party of greedy white wealthy guys who hate everyone but themselves...and themselves as the "champions" of everyone else. But when you cut through all the hyperbole it really isn't the case. Fiscal sanity isn't "evil"...it's prudent.

"Deficits don't matter." - Dick Cheney.

hypothetically, mac, what if the problem isn't the wingers saying stupid things... but saying what they really think?

isn't that just honesty?

and if they lose because of it, shouldn't they?

Yup, can't argue. It's much easier to get loons nominated at the local level than on a national level, and these are the people who so often say the crazy stuff. Then, they can be used nationally to paint the whole freakin' party as loons.

When it comes to the presidential candidates' refusal to take one dollar of tax increases for ten dollars in spending cuts, seems to me that's where the locally-elected loons screw up the party even worse. They've got these people scared shitless.

I'm sure there are plenty of pragmatic Republicans, who think the loons go too far on the issues. They're just cowering in fear right now, so no one hears from 'em.

i agree that the pragmatists are cowering. however, being pragmatists, they are doing what they have to do to protect their right flank.

however, and i truly hate to disturb your faith in the more normal members of your party, in looking at the primary process that the GOP just survived... it seems they were falling all over each other to prove who was furthest to the right. that made it impossible for someone like romney, who probably truly is a pragmatist, to extricate himself from the tar pit that is the lunatic fringe of the right.

think about it. huntsman was probably the smartest guy on the GOP stage. he probably would have made the best president. but he didn't break through... not even for a minute. why? because to the wingers he was a traitor for having served as obama's ambassador to china.

You are in denial. Language and context matter, and the Party does not get to define them is the point. We have to be very careful how we use language.

yep. Language and context matter.

Well, in the context of what he was saying, Romney made it quite clear that he was referring to resumes.....he even used his hands to show he was holding a "binder of resumes" as he spoke.

But that was not how it was portrayed.

And you know it.

I know that he identified women in terms of "binders and binders of resumes", indicating he valued them in context as a category and not as individuals.

The inability to recognize the legitimate needs of women and minorities, the changing demographics of America, indeed has made the Party "'impotent' at the national level".

Last edited:
hypothetically, mac, what if the problem isn't the wingers saying stupid things... but saying what they really think?

isn't that just honesty?

and if they lose because of it, shouldn't they?

Yup, can't argue. It's much easier to get loons nominated at the local level than on a national level, and these are the people who so often say the crazy stuff. Then, they can be used nationally to paint the whole freakin' party as loons.

When it comes to the presidential candidates' refusal to take one dollar of tax increases for ten dollars in spending cuts, seems to me that's where the locally-elected loons screw up the party even worse. They've got these people scared shitless.

I'm sure there are plenty of pragmatic Republicans, who think the loons go too far on the issues. They're just cowering in fear right now, so no one hears from 'em.

i agree that the pragmatists are cowering. however, being pragmatists, they are doing what they have to do to protect their right flank.

however, and i truly hate to disturb your faith in the more normal members of your party, in looking at the primary process that the GOP just survived... it seems they were falling all over each other to prove who was furthest to the right. that made it impossible for someone like romney, who probably truly is a pragmatist, to extricate himself from the tar pit that is the lunatic fringe of the right.

think about it. huntsman was probably the smartest guy on the GOP stage. he probably would have made the best president. but he didn't break through... not even for a minute. why? because to the wingers he was a traitor for having served as obama's ambassador to china.

Yup. I would liked to have heard a lot more from Huntsman.

The right wing's (I refuse to call them conservatives) ideological purity test has become so Byzantine it is now impossible to pass. That's why all the rhetoric from the GOP politicians is nothing more than lip service nowadays. These guys wouldn't know a conservative principle if the ghost of Bill Buckley shoved one up their ass.

Last edited:
Huntsman will run again in 2016, and one facet of his campaign will be to reduce the ultra right to rubble.

The right wing's (I refuse to call them conservatives) ideological purity test has become so Byzantine it is now impossible to pass. That's why all the rhetoric from the GOP politicians is nothing more than lip service.

i wish it were lipservice. people who let 'personhood' amendments through the house, but who won't pass a jobs bill are not paying lipservice, unfortunately.

I have no doubt that many, even most, Republicans know they have to marginalize their loons, those who allow the Democrats to make easy caricatures of the party. But the loons have enough influence to keep the pragmatic Republicans at arm's length.

Before they even work on their messaging (which will be crucial), before they even make final decisions on their platform, the GOP needs to find a way to keep their loons out of the spotlight. From "I'm not a witch" to "she's a slut", from "legitimate rape" to blaming God for earthquakes & hurricanes (and the list of examples goes on), the loons are making this pretty easy for the Dems.

The loons are controlling the Republican Party at this point. When the right wing is able to nominate people like Richard Murdoch over Dick Lugar, well, that pretty much tells the story. But the far right didn't want Dick Lugar because he was too moderate. So what happened? Republicans lost a Senate seat. All this talk from the far right that the reason the Republican Party is in trouble is due to having too many moderates is a joke. Indiana and Missouri are proof of this.

The right wing will prevail once again as the left wing rebounded years ago when after the media and political pundits declared they were dead and gone. The only problem is that in the meantime America will continue to suffer, the purchasing power of the dollar will erode, and our children will be nothing more than indentured servants of the almighty government and debt. In short it is going to get worse before it gets better, sort of like the tribes of Israel spending 40 years in the desert, but in this case the desert of despair. You wanted it free, so eat your cake and stop your bitching!

The right wing's (I refuse to call them conservatives) ideological purity test has become so Byzantine it is now impossible to pass. That's why all the rhetoric from the GOP politicians is nothing more than lip service nowadays. These guys wouldn't know a conservative principle if the ghost of Bill Buckley shoved one up their ass.

Yeah, you all just want a Democrat lite Republican..then we can have a one party rule...how wonderful
you people really belive the stuff you post?

Yeah, you all just want a Democrat lite Republican..then we can have a one party rule...how wonderful

Then don't change a thing.

why do they have to change when they got 48% of people who voted FOR THEM in this election? If people wanted to vote Democrat they'd register as one

no steffie... most people want SMART people who actually THINK... that leaves out people like you.

but feel free to carry on...

why do they have to change when they got 48% of people who voted FOR THEM in this election? If people wanted to vote Democrat they'd register as one

because you've lost the last how many election cycles?

no steffie... most people want SMART people who actually THINK... that leaves out people like you.

but feel free to carry on...

well jilly, you ever look at what you post? I guess you believe it is a lot of smart shit:lol:

Forum List

Back