Will Anti Mormonism be a factor in this Election?

Haven't bothered reading the whole thread so maybe someone has already pointed this out, but according to polls it's actually Democrats that have a bigger problem with Mormons than Republicans.

i'd iike to see a link to those polls because frankly, it's a non-issue to people on the left. there are too many good reasons not to vote for him if you're a dem.

"According to a Gallup poll last summer, 18 percent of Republicans and 27 percent of Democrats would oppose a Mormon candidate. "

Mormonism A Problem for Romney? JFK Says No | OK Politechs

Here's the poll:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155273/Bias-Against-Mormon-Presidential-Candidate-1967.aspx

"Whether this makes it a cult, or just another of the born-in-America Christian sects, I am not sure. In any case what interests me more is the weird and sinister belief system of the LDS, discussion of which it is currently hoping to inhibit by crying that criticism of Mormonism amounts to bigotry."

Is Mormonism a cult? Who cares? It’s their weird and sinister beliefs we should be worried about. - Slate Magazine

Last edited:
Haven't bothered reading the whole thread so maybe someone has already pointed this out, but according to polls it's actually Democrats that have a bigger problem with Mormons than Republicans.

i'd iike to see a link to those polls because frankly, it's a non-issue to people on the left. there are too many good reasons not to vote for him if you're a dem.

Actually, anti-Mormon sentiment is stronger on the left than it is on the right.

In U.S., 22% Are Hesitant to Support a Mormon in 2012

The new Gallup poll, conducted June 9-12, finds nearly 20% of Republicans and independents saying they would not support a Mormon for president. That is slightly lower than the 27% of Democrats saying the same.

Reason is immaterial when it comes to elections. If that were not true, then none of us (or at least you who are reasonable) would vote for any candidate sticking either a (D) or an (R) after their names.

Immie

It doesn't matter, she's mistaken. It is definitely an issue to the left.

It doesn't matter, she's mistaken. It is definitely an issue to the left.

I think it's an issue across the board.

If 10% of Republicans won't vote for Romney because he belongs to the LDS cult, that's 6 million folks who voted for McCain who won't vote for him.

Oh, I voted for McCain. I won't vote for Romney primariliy because he's a Mormon.

The left wasn't going to vote for Romney regardless. He could come out to tomorrow, and denounce Mormonism and call Joseph Smith a fraud, and they still won't.

But Obama got 10 million votes more than McCain, and Romney has to worry 6 million of McCain's voters won't show up.

I know too Christians are running, and hope Romney's faith has no impact. There is no cure for the disturbed who believe Obama is a Muslim.

Truth. Too many people want to talk about personal beliefs when they completely ignore actual actions. There is no reason to vote/not vote for someone because they are a creed that you are not. The only time that should come into play is if they want to enact political changes that are based on faith and not government duty/obligation.

It's an interesting question. Will Evangelical Christians reject Romney for being mormon, or obama for hating Christians?

Have you heard, the media is already making themselves ready for the new movement, the Teavangelicals. The natural evolution of the Tea Party.

This is from the uber liberal CNN.

5 Reasons

Here are 5 reasons why should care about "Teavangelicals":

1. Remember 2010?

In the 2010 midterm elections, the Tea Party helped the Republicans take back control of the House of Representatives. And evangelicals made up a big part of that group. According to a September 2010 poll by the Public Religion Research Institute, nearly half of self-identified Tea Partiers in 2010 said they were part of the Religious Right or the conservative Christian movement.

2. They might swing the presidential election for Mitt Romney.

Ralph Reed's group, the Faith and Freedom Coalition, is the prototypical Teavangelical group, working to ensure that the Tea Party and evangelicals play nice together. Reed has long been an evangelical whisper for politicians and Brody writes that he has the cell phone numbers of 13 million evangelical voters. Sounds like a strong ground game.

3. Teavangelicals made the GOP primaries more interesting.

2012 was supposed to be Mitt Romney's year. He’d run once before and the GOP establishment liked him. But he was not an early favorite of the Teavangelicals, who variously rallied around Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Rick Perry and Rick Santorum. When those politicians talked about the free market and opposing abortion with equal gusto it was music to Teavangelical ears. At the press club panel on Wednesday, National Review columnist Robert Costa said Santorum’s Iowa caucuses win testified to the Teavangelical power.

4. They're planning to stick around for a while.

The Tea Party may have disappeared from national headlines, but they’re active at the grassroots. Brody said that Teavangelicals are winning seats on school boards, city councils, and county commissions. "The Teavangelicals have realized it's nice to get on FOX News and hold up a sign and be on the Sean Hannity show, but that's not going to get it done,” he said. “Ultimately you have to start at the bottom up.” He says small-time local positions are proving grounds for the next generation of GOP leadership.

5. They’ll be a crossword puzzle clue soon.

Brody coined the term Teavangelical the day after the 2010 midterm elections, when we were both at a press conference organized by the Faith and Freedom coalition. Ralph Reed’s involvement means the Teavangelical concept has legs. It’s only a matter of time before it becomes a crossword puzzle clue.

Can you say, Scott Walker or Ted Cruz?

Romney's mormonism will be the same factor Kennedy's catholocism was.

Actually, Kennedy almost lost the election when he shouldn't have.

But to the point, there were enough Catholics in the country to make up for any protestants who hated Catholics to the point of not voting for him.

Mormons, not so much. First, they vote 90% Republican to start with, and second, they are only infesting a few states, only one or two of them being in play.

Will Anti Mormonism be a factor in this Election?

Yes, it will.

Mormonism comes with social and moral policy baggage that many people object to.

Frankly I would not vote for anybody who wears their religion on their sleeve, anyway, regardless of what religion it is.

But Mormonism's POVs about the world and society I personally find completely un-American in the first place and much of that he expresses in religious terms, so yes, Mitt's religiosity is still another factor in why I would never vote for him.

An evangelical Christian will vote for a Christian mormon with the same values before an anti American secularist that despises Christian values.

Forum List

Back