Wikipedia blackout to protest SOPA

I'm using Google Chrome which has a built in translator.

So, I can access the German Wikipedia and just translate.

HELL YEAH, MOFOs!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahvmFL5Ra68][WATCH THIS! ITS REALLY IMPORTANT] "Protect IP Act Breaks the Internet" SOPA CENSORSHIP BILL - YouTube[/ame]

USMB and other places would be in danger of having to block so called infringing domain names.
Regulating the internet is one more way the US government would have control over what we see and know.

should we also make alcohol illegal since many people are harmed by it? Should we make marriage illegal because some people abuse their spouse? Well?...................

Yeah poor poor hollywood, let's protect them from the bad people :doubt:

Maybe if they did a better job at making and acting in their movies, we would buy more of them. They just are not worth sacrificing even one more ioda of freedom

IT IS ANTI-freedom and against the consitution! Impeachments and removals should be had if they pass this anti-freeom bill!

You are not free to steal what belongs to someone else.

i'm all for disemination of information.

i'm confused as to why anyone thinks they're entitled to steal someone else's intellectual property.

Exactly what it is. People who want to be able to download music and movies.

i'm confused as to why anyone thinks they're entitled to steal someone else's intellectual property.

That is not it. It is hollywood losers who suck at what they do, they cannot prove why people are not buying their movies.

This bill will eventually shut down the ability to share files, even if I created them myself. If you are sharing some educational material, I am pretty sure those files are someone's intellectual property also. Education down the tubes

That is not it. It is hollywood losers who suck at what they do, they cannot prove why people are not buying their movies.

This bill will eventually shut down the ability to share files, even if I created them myself. If you are sharing some educational material, I am pretty sure those files are someone's intellectual property also. Education down the tube

You're allowed to use copy-righted material for education already. There's a provision in the law that allows this. It's why teachers/professors can show movies in class without receiving permission. So I don't really buy the education argument.

And quite frankly if people didn't buy music/movies for the sole reason that quality has gone down (which I def. agree with for the record)-then they wouldn't have to worry about downloading them illegally would they? It's a nudge-nudge, wink-wink. We all know why people don't buy music anymore-why pay for it when you can get the same exact thing for free?

It's really simple: you cannot steal someone else's intellectual property. People justify it to themselves all they want-but it's illegal. And for good reason. As I said earlier, we'd all love to be able to drive Mercedes, but if we cant' afford to-tough. Even if somebody leaves the keys in the ignition, leaves the doors wide open in a busy park lot-if you take it-you're stealing, and it is and should be against the law.

This bill will eventually shut down the ability to share files, even if I created them myself. If you are sharing some educational material, I am pretty sure those files are someone's intellectual property also. Education down the tube

You're allowed to use copy-righted material for education already. There's a provision in the law that allows this. It's why teachers/professors can show movies in class without receiving permission. So I don't really buy the education argument.

And quite frankly if people didn't buy music/movies for the sole reason that quality has gone down (which I def. agree with for the record)-then they wouldn't have to worry about downloading them illegally would they? It's a nudge-nudge, wink-wink. We all know why people don't buy music anymore-why pay for it when you can get the same exact thing for free?

It's really simple: you cannot steal someone else's intellectual property. People justify it to themselves all they want-but it's illegal. And for good reason. As I said earlier, we'd all love to be able to drive Mercedes, but if we cant' afford to-tough. Even if somebody leaves the keys in the ignition, leaves the doors wide open in a busy park lot-if you take it-you're stealing, and it is and should be against the law.

It is already against the law. Can you not see the forest for the trees that have been planted for you by government propaganda? This is a slippery slope to say the least. They have been talking of how they are going to regulate the intenet for years. Now They have a plan. But it will fail.

SOPA blackout: Bills lose three co-sponsors amid protests - latimes.com

SOPA blackout: Bills lose three Republican co-sponsors amid protects (see link above) and more opponents of PIPA and SOPA emerge from the right (see link below).

More opponents of PIPA and SOPA emerge on the right - latimes.com

:clap2:

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) withdrew as a co-sponsor of the Protect IP Act in the Senate, while Reps. Lee Terry (R-Neb.) and Ben Quayle (R-Ariz.) said they were pulling their names from the companion House bill, the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Your confirmation bias is showing.

I don't download music or movies nor do I have any intention of doing so, and I adamantly oppose this legislation.

Regarding your first point, I couldn't disagree with you more. Corporations already use laws designed to protect to protect intellectual property to stifle criticism or prevent fair use. See, for example, Wal-mart's attempt to use trademark law to prevent criticism of their stores (Court Rejects Wal-Mart's Bid to Silence Criticism Through Trademark Law | Citizen Media Law Project).

And Attorney Generals (I feel that you mischaracterize my view on Holder in particular) are not to be entrusted with too much power either. While we now tiptoe further into the realm of speculation, some people have suggested that an AG could use bogus or selective intellectual property complaints to block legitimate speech. Certainly, AGs have committed numerous violations of civil liberties in the past.

Regarding the felony charges relating to video streaming, my point in that thread wasn't that these were necessarily a bad thing. My point was to rebut someone's claim that the proposed legislation was entirely concerned with blocking websites and couldn't send anyone to jail (the full paragraph you quoted was "The suggestion that the bills could send people to jail is quite plausible. The House version makes streaming copyrighted material a felony.").

Regarding FF and video-snagging, no, I don't know what either of those are.

Trademark laws are quite different than Copyright laws.
I can say a company's name. I can't, however, steal that company's product.
I will say, after reading the link, that Wal-Mart felt they had a chance at winning and their opponent was a pretty good heavy-hitter. So it was beneficial for WallyWorld to try.
(glad they lost)

I was just agreeing that hefty fines or even jail time should be in order for repeat offenders.

FF was just short for FireFox's web browser.
They have an add-on that allows snagging of streaming videos.

And, yes, AGs are known to over-reach their authority.
The answer isn't to just do nothing, though.

Stealing is stealing and should be enforced as such.

The problem with this is the ones who wrote the law for the politicians to debate and act on are the ones who stand the most to benefit from it at the potential cost to the American people in reduced competition just for starters, it's not just about theft, it's also about controlling and or stifling competition. The law as it is is way too broadly written with a good chance of leaving some major web sites out in the cold even though they did nothing wrong.
The interpretations drawn (at the behest of certain corporations) could also have further ramifications on other legitimate brick and mortar establishments.
Yes, copyright protections need to be enforced, no, not by this horribly open-ended bill.

IT IS ANTI-freedom and against the consitution! Impeachments and removals should be had if they pass this anti-freeom bill!

You should read up on how far this bill goes. Your tune might change. For example, if a troll pops up on here, links to site with pirated material, then THIS SITE would be shut down under SOPA.

Most folks are anti-piracy these days. What they don't like is how far this bill goes in handing out power to shut down sites that are not themselves hosting pirated materials. It isn't just sites like Wikipedia and Youtube in danger, any site that allows user comments, file uploads, or sharing could end up going down under this.

I guess you missed my point.

I'm saying it's the high prices that lead to piracy, not the other way around.

I've never bought into the predominately "conservative" argument that victims of crimes somehow "deserve it" due to some sort of personally responsibility corollary, but man...Hollywood.....

Digital ownership is one of the biggest rackets in the economy now. Very frustrating.

You should read up on how far this bill goes. Your tune might change. For example, if a troll pops up on here, links to site with pirated material, then THIS SITE would be shut down under SOPA.

Most folks are anti-piracy these days. What they don't like is how far this bill goes in handing out power to shut down sites that are not themselves hosting pirated materials. It isn't just sites like Wikipedia and Youtube in danger, any site that allows user comments, file uploads, or sharing could end up going down under this.

What happens under SOPA if my 3-year-old son draws a pretty decent representation of a copyrighted cartoon character, and I post it on Facebook?

That's right, under SOPA, I can go to jail.

So liberals think it's okay to steal as long as it's from the rich.

got it

BTW, Chris Dodd is behind this stupidity. You know, Liberal Senator Chris Dodd. So does that make you trust this more or less when you realize it's a bill giving censorship power over the net to the lawyers masterminded by a liberal?

Forum List

Back