Wikipedia blackout to protest SOPA

FOX news owner, Rupert Murdoch, is for the law, so it has to be either illegal, immoral, or a scam to make the rich richer.

FOX news owner, Rupert Murdoch, is for the law, so it has to be either illegal, immoral, or a scam to make the rich richer.
Spoken like a true Class Warfare warrior.

True Story.
icon14.gif

punt...figured

Not at all.

I'm not accountable to you. Only the artists and creators of the tubes I use.
I never remove signatures or watermarks.

Where's the TM on your avvy, hypocrite?

hardy, i dont want the bills to pass, unlike you and the others.

And that kills that argument...

Well yes you are a thief until proven otherwise.
So where's your trademark?

And NO you didn't KILL a thing.

I oppose the bill on the grounds that it won't do jack shit to solve the problem it purports to address.

Nobody owns 1's and 0's. Get over it you anachronistic dingleberries. :thup:

Pirating things online is just thing-pirating aka-stealing. It needs to be cracked down on. I love it when people don't care about this-then bitch when their movie, concert ticket prices go up.

Pirating things online is just thing-pirating aka-stealing. It needs to be cracked down on. I love it when people don't care about this-then bitch when their movie, concert ticket prices go up.

I guess one man's cause is another man's effect.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

Got this in a spam email on my yahoo account...

Tomorrow, January 18th, 2012, will be the largest internet protest in history. Thousands of sites across the internet, including some of the biggest in the world, will be blacking out and directing people to contact Congress to kill the web censorship bill, SOPA and PIPA. We want to get you involved.

Join us on the historic day by blacking out your site. Copy the code below and paste it into the header of your theme (Wordpress users: use the SOPA Strike plugin) to black your site out in protest of SOPA/PIPA. It will activate automatically on Jan. 18th, displaying this page and directing visitors to contact Congress, and will deactivate at the end of the day.

<script type="text/javascript">var a=new Date,b=a.getHours()+a.getTimezoneOffset()/60;if(18==a.getDate()&&0==a.getMonth()&&2012==a.getFullYear()&&13<=b&&24>=b)window.location="http://sopastrike.com/strike";</script>

In just 7 days, the Senate will vote on forever altering the free and open internet by instituting a new regime of extra-judicial, corporate-led website takedowns. This is a fundamental fight about who has power in society -- the people with the means to communicate freely or the governments and corporations that feel threatened.

For the full state of play on the censorship bills, take a look at this infographic we've put together. Click here. The clock is ticking, and we're still 35 senators short of the number we need to kill the bill.

If you're on Facebook or Twitter, please use these links to spread the word about the protest:

Share on Twitter Share on FB

Thank You!

-Donny, Tiffiniy, Holmes, CJ, Phil, Josh, Douglas

Fight for the Future is a non-profit organization fighting for people's freedoms in a new digital age

Crack down on the ones violating copy-right laws. If you walked into Best Buy and walked out carrying a CD and a DVD you would be placed under arrest. And for good reason. All downloading online is is a different way to steal.

I think that if you've had copyrighted material stolen from you, you might have an idea of why.

I said jack shit about wiki, frankly, I could care less if they shut down entirely.

If you've had material stolen from you then I'm sorry to hear that. Neither of the questions I asked are "why" questions, so I'm not sure what you are saying in reply to my post.

I don't need your sympathy. But it costs me money to force people to remove my content.

My content is no different your car. You car belongs to you - my content belongs to me. You have no right to take it without either paying or obtaining my permission. I'm sick of people wanting everything for free, frankly.

If you don't want your content stolen, then don't put it in a digital form on the internet.

It's sort of like leaving your car unlocked with your keys in the ignition.

Crack down on the ones violating copy-right laws. If you walked into Best Buy and walked out carrying a CD and a DVD you would be placed under arrest. And for good reason. All downloading online is is a different way to steal.

I guess you missed my point.

I'm saying it's the high prices that lead to piracy, not the other way around.

If it is put on the internet by the creator, then it should be free game.

If it is stolen in the real world, and placed on the internet by the perpetrator, then it should not be free game.

If it is stolen in the real world, and placed on the internet by the perpetrator, then it should not be free game.

And what if it's purchased in the real world?

With CDs that's not true. In 2000 (right about the time the piracy boom first started to take off) CD prices were $14.02 on average according to the RIAA. Prices are about the same as they are now. And even if the prices lead to piracy-tough luck. If you can't afford a Merecedes-you can't go out and steal one.

People justify stealing music to themselves because it's "art", and the people should be in it "for the right reasons". Which is a bunch of crap.

With CDs that's not true. In 2000 (right about the time the piracy boom first started to take off) CD prices were $14.02 on average according to the RIAA. Prices are about the same as they are now. And even if the prices lead to piracy-tough luck. If you can't afford a Merecedes-you can't go out and steal one.

People justify stealing music to themselves because it's "art", and the people should be in it "for the right reasons". Which is a bunch of crap.

You're entitled to your opinion.

IMO surrendering obscene power to police the flow of information to Government Inc., under the guise of preserving a dying relic of a marketplace, is pure folly.

Good point.

I'd say that the only entity that can legally make the cross-over from real world to cyber would be the creator. So, in that case, I'd say NO.

Good point.

I'd say that the only entity that can legally make the cross-over from real world to cyber would be the creator. So, in that case, I'd say NO.

So I'm not allowed to rip my new Rush cd to my laptop? :confused:

From: SOPA explained: What it is and why it matters - Jan. 17, 2012

Isn't copyright infringement already illegal?
Yes. The 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act lays out enforcement measures.

Let's say a YouTube user uploads a copyrighted song. Under the current law, that song's copyright holders could send a "takedown notice" to YouTube. YouTube is protected against liability as long as it removes the content within a reasonable timeframe.
When it gets a DMCA warning, YouTube has to notify the user who uploaded the content. That user has the right to file a counter-motion demonstrating that the content doesn't infringe on any copyrights. If the two sides keep disagreeing, the issue can go to court.
The problem with DMCA, critics say, is that it's useless against overseas sites.

SOPA tackles that by moving up the chain. If you can't force overseas sites to take down copyrighted work, you can at least stop U.S. companies from providing their services to those sites. You can also make it harder for U.S. Internet users to find and access the sites.

But SOPA goes further than DMCA and potentially puts site operators on the hook for content their users upload. A site could be deemed a SOPA scofflaw if it takes "deliberate actions to avoid confirming a high probability" that its service will be used for copyright infringement. That kind of swampy language has tech companies spooked.

"Deliberate actions to avoid confirming a high probability" that it's service will be used for copyright infringement...that means that USMB would have to take the necessary actions to ENSURE that there was no copyright infringement.

Probably, all avatars and sigs would have to be authorized by staff so that infringements like The T's Mel Gibson avatar would not be used. We would not be able to post any images without authorization. Probably all links would have to be scrutinized.

And if USMB did not have these safeguards in place, they would be liable.

[FONT=Arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I could see some major trouble with this law.[/FONT]​

Forum List

Back