Wikipedia blackout to protest SOPA

theDoctorisIn

Platinum Member
Senior USMB Moderator
Aug 12, 2009
In the center of it all
I didn't see another thread about this, so I thought I'd start one.

Wikipedia, and a number of other popular websites will black out tomorrow in protest of SOPA and PIPA.

Thoughts?

I think it's a perfectly appropriate protest, both in terms of the means (shutting down their site) and the ends (defeating SOPA/PIPA).

Even though I use Wikipedia multiple times a day, I don't expect to be too inconvenienced. I expect to be able to get by with the cached and non-English versions of their articles.

If the legislation were to have passed, the government and individual copyright holders could have potentially shut down any website or person associated with copyright infringement
Ok.
What kind of idiot would protest this?

oh.....nevermind
:eusa_whistle:

IT IS ANTI-freedom and against the consitution! Impeachments and removals should be had if they pass this anti-freeom bill!

You are not free to steal what belongs to someone else.
Some don't understand the concept of property/intellectual property.

Apparently not.

But, they probably do not produce such work, and have likely never had to take legal action against bastards who steal it.

Several people have indicated in this thread that they support the legislation because it would make it harder to steal things. Do these people think that Wikipedia is substantially stealing things or facilitating the stealing of things? Do you think that there might be reasons other than love of stealing things to oppose the legislation?

Several people have indicated in this thread that they support the legislation because it would make it harder to steal things. Do these people think that Wikipedia is substantially stealing things or facilitating the stealing of things? Do you think that there might be reasons other than love of stealing things to oppose the legislation?

Enlighten us.

Can you articulate why you disagree with the measure?

I think that if you've had copyrighted material stolen from you, you might have an idea of why.

I said jack shit about wiki, frankly, I could care less if they shut down entirely.

Enlighten us.

Can you articulate why you disagree with the measure?

My feelings about the legislation are largely the same as the last time I commented on it on this board (http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...road-new-powers-to-police-the-internet-2.html). In my original post I addressed Wikipedia's forthcoming action specifically rather than rehashing how I felt about the legislation in general. I'd still love to hear your thoughts on either topic.

I think that if you've had copyrighted material stolen from you, you might have an idea of why.

I said jack shit about wiki, frankly, I could care less if they shut down entirely.
And note the periodic pleadings on wiki for funding to keep them going?

If you've had material stolen from you then I'm sorry to hear that. Neither of the questions I asked are "why" questions, so I'm not sure what you are saying in reply to my post.

Forum List

Back