Why so much hatred and opposition to the Tesla (or other EVs)?

who is hostile towards them

what ever floats your boat

when they are cheap enough and dependable enough

can make the distance plus refill quickly

i have one

or more

I get that people have different tastes in cars. But the level of hostility and rancor shown towards the Tesla exceeds it not being your favorite car.

Can anyone explain it to me?

It's not hating the car, it's hating the people that want to force us to eventually use only cars like the Tesla, but probably cheaper and more sucky.

You may think that is paranoia, but so far two countries are thinking of banning ICE cars in the next few decades.

I get that people have different tastes in cars. But the level of hostility and rancor shown towards the Tesla exceeds it not being your favorite car.

The petro dollar for starters.

I don't think it's the Tesla they are offended by, it's the "being guilted about driving gasoline driven cars" they don't like.
A rational coherent human being will examine his/her own emotional reactions rather than blaming outwardly for their own feelings.

Tesla promises that you could get 238 miles on 1 charge. Now imagine the middle of the night, cold and snow outside, you have to turn your headlights on, your heater(doesn't have radiator) how many miles now do you have on that charge? Also, if you are on a trip out of state, would you make it to a charging station and HOW LONG will it take to recharge? If you only drove 4 hours, does your driving day end, and must get a hotel for the rest of the night, even if you have 8 hours more to drive? Not much savings there. This is America, go ahead and buy that all electric vehicle, know that some Coal Fired Power plant is providing that charge for your car. Also know that while you smugly think you are helping the environment, you are actually harming it more. Liberals never tell the whole story, just want you to give them your money so they can become filthy rich.

Electric cars 'pose environmental threat' - BBC News
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology study found greenhouse gas emissions rose dramatically if coal was used to produce the electricity.
Electric car factories also emitted more toxic waste than conventional car factories, their report in the Journal of Industrial Ecology said.
As long as it isn't being built in my backyard, liberals love the idea of all electric cars.

It's the Federal electric car subsidies that folks are pissed about. With them the government interferes in the free market, causing overproduction of cars above true market demand. With Tesla producing the really high end vehicles they naturally end up in the sights of tax paying folks opposed to the government artificially influencing normal market supply and demand.

Tesla promises that you could get 238 miles on 1 charge. Now imagine the middle of the night, cold and snow outside, you have to turn your headlights on, your heater(doesn't have radiator) how many miles now do you have on that charge? Also, if you are on a trip out of state, would you make it to a charging station and HOW LONG will it take to recharge? If you only drove 4 hours, does your driving day end, and must get a hotel for the rest of the night, even if you have 8 hours more to drive? Not much savings there. This is America, go ahead and buy that all electric vehicle, know that some Coal Fired Power plant is providing that charge for your car. Also know that while you smugly think you are helping the environment, you are actually harming it more. Liberals never tell the whole story, just want you to give them your money so they can become filthy rich.

Well, a lot of flaws in that argument, not the least being that coal fired plants, which are being closed down in favor of more economical natural gas, would provide the electricity.

Now, you almost get to a rational point with how long does it take to charge it. We don't quite have the infrastructure to support that yet. So why not invest in the infrastructure?

It's the government subsidies for it, and the inefficiency of it all.

I have nothing against innovation. But every single EV sold is subsidized by our taxes. If the EVs can't compete in the market place on their own merits, they shouldn't be sold.

I have nothing against innovation. But every single EV sold is subsidized by our taxes. If the EVs can't compete in the market place on their own merits, they shouldn't be sold.

it's not about the market place. The government spent decades subsidizing the internet before it finally became profitable to use.

How many innovations came out of the Space Program?

Left to its own devices, the market will keep doing what it is doing. Sometimes you need to take the lead and find a new path. this is one of them.

You mean like the bailout of GM? And that was due to their own crappy business practices.

You mean like the bailout of GM? And that was due to their own crappy business practices.
the only reason why GM got their bailouts was because Obummer didn't want to hurt the union workers, the whole reason why GM went under. Once GM became Government Motors, no longer were Saturns being made(their best cars because Unions weren't part of it) Hummers went away,(Big Profits) because they used more gas than a volt, and any dealer that didn't vote for Obummer were no longer allowed to receive any new cars. That was pretty Communistic wasn't it WB?

the only reason why GM got their bailouts was because Obummer didn't want to hurt the union workers, the whole reason why GM went under. Once GM became Government Motors, no longer were Saturns being made(their best cars because Unions weren't part of it) Hummers went away,(Big Profits) because they used more gas than a volt, and any dealer that didn't vote for Obummer were no longer allowed to receive any new cars. That was pretty Communistic wasn't it WB?

Saturns were pieces of crap.

Hummers were big gas guzzlers that never should have been put on the civilian market.

stop blaming unions for the bad decisions made by people making 8 figure incomes.

Saturns were pieces of crap.

Hummers were big gas guzzlers that never should have been put on the civilian market.

stop blaming unions for the bad decisions made by people making 8 figure incomes.
stop blaming unions for the bad decisions made by people making 8 figure incomes
From the guy with 2 houses...do you make a lot of money Joe to afford those houses?
Why General Motors went bankrupt | ReasonPad
GM has 92,000 employees in the United States and supports 500,000 retirees under the contract filed with the workers’ union.
When you overpromise to pay people a pension for the rest of their lives, if the product that is being made{And that was due to their own crappy business practices.} are no longer made the way people want them, soon you run out of money. I know this, because my father was a GM guy(you know keep the money in the US), most of his life, but after his last Oldsmobile, he never wanted to own a GM car because it was CRAP. How can you make a great car when your union contract says , "you will do no more or no less than what the contract says" to be mediocre? So GM soon had competition with other companies that made better cars than any pieces of crap from GM or Chrysler. When the profits(evil word, right Joe?) went down, then those promises shrank. I do blame the CEO's of GM for not busting the unions but agreeing with their bargaining, for it did eventually bring the biggest Auto company to their Knees. Without that bailout, GM wouldn't of survived. Detroit is still a cesspool, even with Obummber bailing out the UAW's, that was money well spent<SARCASM>...

Bankrupt, Decaying And Nearly Dead: 24 Facts About The City Of Detroit That Will Shock You

Yes, it was. But are you really blaming Obama alone for this fiasco?? If so you need to check your facts. George W. started the whole bailout thing. They took $25 billion from a programs aimed at getting more energy efficient vehicles produced and gave it to GM. Then they took another $25 billion from TARP.

My point is that the money spent on the bailout makes the tax dollars spent on Tesla look like chump change. And at least Tesla is coming up with something that will help.

Forum List

Back