Why Major Companies Are Paying Employees To Skip Work On Election Day

So yeah.... every company I have ever worked for allowed employees to come in an hour late on election day, or leave early.
I don't believe I have EVER heard of a person who said they could not vote because their employer made them come in at 7am and work to 7pm.
Never happened.

And the outdated reason we’re still voting on a Tuesday in the year 2020.

To clear the path to the polls this November — and to bump the country’s abysmal voter turnout rates — hundreds of companies including Coca-Cola, Nike, PayPal and Uber are offering employees a paid day off (or other benefits) to encourage voting.

“There’s a recognition that you’ve got to make it easier for people to vote, or at least make sure that they’re not facing an impossible choice,” says Franz Paasche, senior vice president of corporate affairs at PayPal. “We want to make sure that we give people the flexibility so that they don’t have to make a choice between being able to earn a paycheck that day or being able to vote.”

PayPal employees can take four hours of paid time off to go the polls on Election Day, and the company is also encouraging them to volunteer as poll workers.

Along with executives at Patagonia and Levi Strauss & Co., PayPal’s Paasche was one of the organizers of a corporate campaign called Time to Vote, launched ahead of the 2018 midterm elections. Now with over 700 member companies — all offering some form of encouragement for their more than 6 million employees to participate in the upcoming election — the non-partisan effort is raising awareness around the importance of elections and citizen participation.

Sounds great. Hopefully even more employers will participate in this patriotic endeavor. People who want to vote should not have to choose between voting and losing pay. And having election day on a Tuesday should definitely be changed.

Employers have been doing this a long time, why is it news now?

I've never worked for a company that did. You can vote before work or after work unless you work 12 hour days.

The reason this matters is that most Democrat voters are low self esteem people who will find any excuse not to vote, including bad weather. That's why the Democrats have to work so hard every election to get out the vote.

It's also why they fought Voter-ID. Democrats will vote if it's convenient enough: multiple day voting, no lines, vote by mail and so on. If they had to put any effort into voting like obtaining an ID, they'd sooner stay home. The Democrat party knows this, the Republican party knows this.

We Republicans will crawl naked over a hill of broken glass to vote. So the more time consuming or difficult it is to vote, the more advantage to Republicans.

To clear the path to the polls this November — and to bump the country’s abysmal voter turnout rates — hundreds of companies including Coca-Cola, Nike, PayPal and Uber are offering employees a paid day off (or other benefits) to encourage voting.

“There’s a recognition that you’ve got to make it easier for people to vote, or at least make sure that they’re not facing an impossible choice,” says Franz Paasche, senior vice president of corporate affairs at PayPal. “We want to make sure that we give people the flexibility so that they don’t have to make a choice between being able to earn a paycheck that day or being able to vote.”

PayPal employees can take four hours of paid time off to go the polls on Election Day, and the company is also encouraging them to volunteer as poll workers.

Along with executives at Patagonia and Levi Strauss & Co., PayPal’s Paasche was one of the organizers of a corporate campaign called Time to Vote, launched ahead of the 2018 midterm elections. Now with over 700 member companies — all offering some form of encouragement for their more than 6 million employees to participate in the upcoming election — the non-partisan effort is raising awareness around the importance of elections and citizen participation.

Sounds great. Hopefully even more employers will participate in this patriotic endeavor. People who want to vote should not have to choose between voting and losing pay. And having election day on a Tuesday should definitely be changed.

I applaud these companies. Very patriotic of them. I've always felt that the presidential election should be a national holiday just like Memorial day or Labor day. Stores can stay open, but government and industry shutdown.

It’s not patriotic voting for dumb Don or dumb Joe. It’s dumb.

What's dumb is when people bitch about their politicians, and they never went out to vote for them or their opponent. Don't vote--don't bitch is what I always say.
Dumb argument, but a very typical one. It assumes Americans must vote, even when the candidates suck. Some day you might attain the high level of intelligence I have.

It would be great if the Empire held a vote and no one came. As it is now, the largest block of voting age Americans don’t vote. It’s all a sham.

What's dumb is when people bitch about their politicians, and they never went out to vote for them or their opponent. Don't vote--don't bitch is what I always say.
Dumb argument, but a very typical one. It assumes Americans must vote, even when the candidates suck. Some day you might attain the high level of intelligence I have.

It would be great if the Empire held a vote and no one came. As it is now, the largest block of voting age Americans don’t vote. It’s all a sham.

Until I reach your high level of intelligence, I'll realize that whoever gets into the White House or Congress had to partly do with me. When you let other people choose your electors, and then complain about them reminds me of people who move by the airport and complain about airplane noise. Maybe those people have a high level of intelligence too???

Until I reach your high level of intelligence, I'll realize that whoever gets into the White House or Congress had to partly do with me. When you let other people choose your electors, and then complain about them reminds me of people who move by the airport and complain about airplane noise. Maybe those people have a high level of intelligence too???
Dream on son.

Interesting, every company I've worked for over the last 40 years always gave time off to vote.

What color are you? Many black and brown voters aren't so lucky.

Even if they dont get paid I would think missing a few hours is a small price to pay to go vote.

Funny, I've never had trouble finding time to vote. I guess moron Democrats are too stupid to figure it out though.

Is it because you're so smart - or don't have a job...?
Not only do I have a job, but I make a lot more money than you, shit-for-brains.

Nobody believes you. Contract labor is for losers.

What a stupid thing to say.
I know several machinist who do contract work out of their garage shops and make 250k a year.

Interesting, every company I've worked for over the last 40 years always gave time off to vote.

What color are you? Many black and brown voters aren't so lucky.

Sure, you mean the ones toiling away in the fields, the illegal ones that aren't allowed to work?

Forum List

Back