Why Major Companies Are Paying Employees To Skip Work On Election Day

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
And the outdated reason we’re still voting on a Tuesday in the year 2020.

To clear the path to the polls this November — and to bump the country’s abysmal voter turnout rates — hundreds of companies including Coca-Cola, Nike, PayPal and Uber are offering employees a paid day off (or other benefits) to encourage voting.

“There’s a recognition that you’ve got to make it easier for people to vote, or at least make sure that they’re not facing an impossible choice,” says Franz Paasche, senior vice president of corporate affairs at PayPal. “We want to make sure that we give people the flexibility so that they don’t have to make a choice between being able to earn a paycheck that day or being able to vote.”

PayPal employees can take four hours of paid time off to go the polls on Election Day, and the company is also encouraging them to volunteer as poll workers.

Along with executives at Patagonia and Levi Strauss & Co., PayPal’s Paasche was one of the organizers of a corporate campaign called Time to Vote, launched ahead of the 2018 midterm elections. Now with over 700 member companies — all offering some form of encouragement for their more than 6 million employees to participate in the upcoming election — the non-partisan effort is raising awareness around the importance of elections and citizen participation.

Sounds great. Hopefully even more employers will participate in this patriotic endeavor. People who want to vote should not have to choose between voting and losing pay. And having election day on a Tuesday should definitely be changed.

To clear the path to the polls this November — and to bump the country’s abysmal voter turnout rates — hundreds of companies including Coca-Cola, Nike, PayPal and Uber are offering employees a paid day off (or other benefits) to encourage voting.

“There’s a recognition that you’ve got to make it easier for people to vote, or at least make sure that they’re not facing an impossible choice,” says Franz Paasche, senior vice president of corporate affairs at PayPal. “We want to make sure that we give people the flexibility so that they don’t have to make a choice between being able to earn a paycheck that day or being able to vote.”

PayPal employees can take four hours of paid time off to go the polls on Election Day, and the company is also encouraging them to volunteer as poll workers.

Along with executives at Patagonia and Levi Strauss & Co., PayPal’s Paasche was one of the organizers of a corporate campaign called Time to Vote, launched ahead of the 2018 midterm elections. Now with over 700 member companies — all offering some form of encouragement for their more than 6 million employees to participate in the upcoming election — the non-partisan effort is raising awareness around the importance of elections and citizen participation.

Sounds great. Hopefully even more employers will participate in this patriotic endeavor. People who want to vote should not have to choose between voting and losing pay. And having election day on a Tuesday should definitely be changed.

Interesting, every company I've worked for over the last 40 years always gave time off to vote.

Interesting, every company I've worked for over the last 40 years always gave time off to vote.

What color are you? Many black and brown voters aren't so lucky.

What color are you?

WTF, are you a racist?

Been working fulltime since 1993 at multiple jobs and never had an issue finding time to vote without losing pay. The booths are open before and after work. Are these “woke” companies telling us they promote slave labor and 20 hour work days? WTF ??? Lol. Even when I went to school and worked part time my employers made sure it had time to vote between school and work.

So I guess people are too stupid to take advantage of weekday and weekend early voting. These companies must not think too much about the ingenuity of their employees.

Funny, I've never had trouble finding time to vote. I guess moron Democrats are too stupid to figure it out though.

Is it because you're so smart - or don't have a job...?
Not only do I have a job, but I make a lot more money than you, shit-for-brains.

Nobody believes you. Contract labor is for losers.
Yes, I feel like a loser every time I deposit money in my checking account.

Funny, I've never had trouble finding time to vote. I guess moron Democrats are too stupid to figure it out though.

Is it because you're so smart - or don't have a job...?
Not only do I have a job, but I make a lot more money than you, shit-for-brains.

Nobody believes you. Contract labor is for losers.
Yes, I feel like a loser every time I deposit money in my checking account.
You probably should.

The reason this matters is that most Democrat voters are low self esteem people who will find any excuse not to vote, including bad weather. That's why the Democrats have to work so hard every election to get out the vote.

So next time you need some sort of service on election day, can the employee who would be helping you skip work, and still have you pay them for the work they didn't do? Will that "sound great" when you are the one footing the bill?

Now again, I don't care if the companies want to pay people to not work. And if you hire me to work for you, I'll be more than happy to take your money and not show up, if that "sounds great" to you.

I'm just always shocked by people who think everything "sounds great" until they are the ones who have to pay the price for what they think "sounds great".

I don’t know about other states, but in California employers must allow paid time off for voting if the voter finds it necessary. It’s been that way since at least the seventies.

Forum List

Back