Why is gay marriage legal, but not polygamy?

Is the Mormon church going to be the next decision for the SC?

Thoughts?

1) The Mormon Church opposes polygamy. So no.
2) If you want to pursue a polygamous marriage, you can go to court- I think you will fail- but you have the legal right to claim that your Constitutional right to marry your sister wives is being violated- go for it- let us know how it goes.
Warren Jeffs is a Mormon preacher, got ten years in Texas.

A sect of Mormonism.

And no it wasn't off topic, you just don't understand the point.

Thoughts?

What an ignorant post? Are you not aware that the LDS have disavowed polygamy for more than a century!
Ignorance is not knowing how many bigamists live in Utah that are Mormon.

If someone is a polygamist living anywhere they are not members of the LDS church in good standing! Period. No question. Therefore, they ARE NOT MORMONS!

Thoughts?

2) If you want to pursue a polygamous marriage, you can go to court- I think you will fail- but you have the legal right to claim that your Constitutional right to marry your sister wives is being violated- go for it- let us know how it goes.

A sect of Mormonism.

I understand the point very well. You are using a bogus political decision to attack a church you oppose and will do everything possible to besmirch.

Let me be perfectly clear, I don't care how many women desire to marry a man who already has a wife. I don't care if two people of the same sex wish to live together. I just don't want the law of the land to be that anyone who disagrees with that lifestyle can be punished for it.

Now, here's one for you to attack instead of Mormons - Muslims!

Their Sharia Law and the Koran permit males to have more than one wife. If they wish to live like that and it's against civil law, would you attack them?

Let's be honest now.

Thoughts?

A sect of Mormonism.

I understand the point very well. You are using a bogus political decision to attack a church you oppose and will do everything possible to besmirch.

Let me be perfectly clear, I don't care how many women desire to marry a man who already has a wife. I don't care if two people of the same sex wish to live together. I just don't want the law of the land to be that anyone who disagrees with that lifestyle can be punished for it.

Now, here's one for you to attack instead of Mormons - Muslims!

Their Sharia Law and the Koran permit males to have more than one wife. If they wish to live like that and it's against civil law, would you attack them?

Let's be honest now.

My reply was not to you.

And I attacked no one only pointed out that the man was not mainstream Mormon but a sect of mormonism. I didn't think that was bad to do considering what hangover was saying.

Marriage can be pretty much anything, so say the courts. Is has been cheapened... next up, inter-species marriage, polygamy, children, etc. MArriage has been rendered meaningless.

The public opinion -- the political pressure is not there. There are not enough people seeking multi-partner marriage to pressure the courts into accepting it. That being said, most of the same fundamental arguments used to support same sex marriage would also apply to polygamy.
but they will resort to the courts as the gays did....what will stop them now....?

Thoughts?

No- he is not a Mormon preacher. No more than the Westboro Baptist Church is part of the Southern Baptist Church.

Warren Steed Jeffs (born December 3, 1955) is a former president of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS Church) and convicted felon currently serving a sentence of life plus 20 years.[4] His prison term is the result of being convicted of two felony counts of child sexual assault in 2011.[5]

The public opinion -- the political pressure is not there. There are not enough people seeking multi-partner marriage to pressure the courts into accepting it. That being said, most of the same fundamental arguments used to support same sex marriage would also apply to polygamy.
but they will resort to the courts as the gays did....what will stop them now....?

Well let me ask you this- do you have any argument as to why polygamous marriage should not be married?

If you don't have such an argument- well then that is the problem with your position.

If you do have an argument- well then it still applies regardless of whether homosexuals marry or not.

Marriage can be pretty much anything, so say the courts. Is has been cheapened... next up, inter-species marriage, polygamy, children, etc. MArriage has been rendered meaningless.

I have to admit- I am really enjoying the complete melt down of the far right.

Sorry that your marriage is now meaningless.

Mine is doing just fine.

Well let me ask you this- do you have any argument as to why polygamous marriage should not be married?

If you don't have such an argument- well then that is the problem with your position.

If you do have an argument- well then it still applies regardless of whether homosexuals marry or not.

the same argument as for gays....THE PEOPLE should decide....not a few old lawyers in black robes...

the majority of states, i.e. THE PEOPLE, voted against gay marriage but it was shoved through the courts anyway.....the same will happen now with polygamy......just wait until the Muslims insist on it....they are allowed to have up to 4 wives...

the same argument as for gays....THE PEOPLE should decide....not a few old lawyers in black robes...

the majority of states, i.e. THE PEOPLE, voted against gay marriage but it was shoved through the courts anyway.....the same will happen now with polygamy......just wait until the Muslims insist on it....they are allowed to have up to 4 wives...

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what for supper

Nobody should get to vote on what rights others are entitled to

but that's what the 9 judges did...

i'd rather the millions in each state vote on it.....more representation ya know...

i'd rather the millions in each state vote on it.....more representation ya know...

That is why we have a court system

Its something we call "Checks and balances"

checks and balances for EXISTING law....not to make up NEW law....

checks and balances for EXISTING law....not to make up NEW law....
The constitution is existing law

Thoughts?

Polygamy is fundamentally incompatible with our marriage laws. As it involves situations that can't occur in 2 person marriage and our law has no answers for.

For example: people leaving or entering a marriage at different times. In 2 person marriage, that's impossible. In 3 or more person marriage.....its probable. And we have no law to deal with it, no answers in our legal precedent to the questions that arise under it.

Where with something like gay marriage, all the same rules apply.

We didn't ask the PEOPLE to decide when it came to bans on mixed race marriages.

No reason to ask the PEOPLE to decide when it cam to bans on gay marriages.

Do you have any actual argument as to why you think polygamy is wrong?

If not- then nothing has changed- because yesterday you had no argument- and today you had no argument- and if someone goes to court demanding polygamous marriage, then someone has to make an argument why there should be no polygamous marriage.

So do you have any argument other than you are just going along with what you think others want?

The whole state of Utah...and there's many Mormons in a lot of other states.
Warren Jeffs got ten years in Texas. Think he's not going to appeal?

Warren Jeffs got 10 years for having sex with underage girls.

Forum List

Back