Why is gay marriage legal, but not polygamy?

hangover

Gold Member
Oct 8, 2013
Is the Mormon church going to be the next decision for the SC?

Thoughts?

The public opinion -- the political pressure is not there. There are not enough people seeking multi-partner marriage to pressure the courts into accepting it. That being said, most of the same fundamental arguments used to support same sex marriage would also apply to polygamy.

The public opinion -- the political pressure is not there. There are not enough people seeking multi-partner marriage to pressure the courts into accepting it. That being said, most of the same fundamental arguments used to support same sex marriage would also apply to polygamy.
If there were tax advantages to polygamy you can bet it would be on the docket.

There may be some bisexual groups that want to marry...........

The whole state of Utah...and there's many Mormons in a lot of other states.
Warren Jeffs got ten years in Texas. Think he's not going to appeal?

I feel the same way as I do about gay marriage. It does no harm to me so I don't really care if they marry

I know it would be big-o-me to take on another wife...
Can you imagine having three or four on the curse at the same time? They synchronize ya know....Yikes!
I am more concerned with the maintenance part, cost, time involved...
With equality for women these days, they could be the providers. I know my wife could use some help.
I know, it's like every time I get sat down and comfortable they want me to get up and do something...

Thoughts?

1) The Mormon Church opposes polygamy. So no.
2) If you want to pursue a polygamous marriage, you can go to court- I think you will fail- but you have the legal right to claim that your Constitutional right to marry your sister wives is being violated- go for it- let us know how it goes.

I might not go this way but I can easily see it going this way. The argument for gay marriage is that there is an economic benefit to being married. OK, then if that be the case and there are two spinster sisters living together they might as well get married, or brothers. What's stopping them now?

I might not go this way but I can easily see it going this way. The argument for gay marriage is that there is an economic benefit to being married. OK, then if that be the case and there are two spinster sisters living together they might as well get married, or brothers. What's stopping them now?

Who does it harm?

What does me owning a hand gun hurt anyone?

BTW, no one, they should definitely get married the term is meaningless now any way.

I know it would be big-o-me to take on another wife...
Can you imagine having three or four on the curse at the same time? They synchronize ya know....Yikes!
I am more concerned with the maintenance part, cost, time involved...
With equality for women these days, they could be the providers. I know my wife could use some help.
I know, it's like every time I get sat down and comfortable they want me to get up and do something...
Blame it on the curse.

What does me owning a hand gun hurt anyone?

BTW, no one, they should definitely get married the term is meaningless now any way.
:offtopic:

Thoughts?

1) The Mormon Church opposes polygamy. So no.
2) If you want to pursue a polygamous marriage, you can go to court- I think you will fail- but you have the legal right to claim that your Constitutional right to marry your sister wives is being violated- go for it- let us know how it goes.
Warren Jeffs is a Mormon preacher, got ten years in Texas.

Forum List

Back