Why I don't believe in God

note the n00b with 3 posts who joined in 2008.

best of luck on your way to the leader board...

silverfoxylassy Rookie
Ratings:
+0

You make a good point. No one really truly believes. Ever see anyone looking forward to death? Or happy when their loveone passes? Hell no! We tell ourselves they are in a better place and one day we will see them again.

Sorry boss but you are trying too hard. You're over thinking this. What you think is improbable or impossible is indeed true. You've invented something in your head. You talk to it and you think it's involved in your life. And it's the most generic vague definition of God. Only you believes the shit you're saying.

A moon is greater than self. The universe is greater than self. What you're doing is thinking you are greater than you actually are. You're just the smartest animal on this planet. But really not that smart yet. You/we have a lot of evolving to do.

And in 5000 years we will still be debating this but I suspect all the ancient religions(Christian Muslim Jewish) will be abandoned

I'm not "over-thinking" anything, just applying basic logic and biological science. We tell ourselves the dead are in a better place because we are spiritually-aware creatures who believe in a better place where our immortal spirit goes... this is an intrinsic and inseparable belief humans have always had and it defines our species. You've fooled yourself into believing this is something we invented even though the evidence shows we couldn't have invented it. It defies nature and logic for this to be something we invented. You can find evidence for when humans invented anything other than spirituality. The reason for that is simple, we didn't invent it... we couldn't have... if we had, it would have quickly become obsolete as our brains figured out it was futile and pointless to believe an invention of something fake. Other than 'novelty' you can't just think up something from imagination and have it serve some vital tangible purpose... it doesn't work. I can believe in fairies and gnomes but I can't cause them to serve some vital purpose in reality.

The moon is not "greater than self" and you demonstrate you don't comprehend what I am saying. I'm not talking about a physical greatness in quantity. I am talking about a power which transcends the physical. I assume you do believe in love, right? That would be an example of something non-physical that can be greater than self. That's not the moon or the physical universe. Does the moon make you love someone or not love them? Does the universe make you desire to leave a better world behind after you're gone? Those are spiritual inclinations driven by your spiritual awareness.

You have no idea what the future holds for our species. You can speculate based on assumptions but you have no crystal ball or way of knowing the future. If we still exist in 5k years, we'll still be spiritual creatures for the most part, just as we always have been... it defines our species. Religions are man-made constructs which CONFIRM our spirituality... they may come and go, they always have. Spirituality is a constant for our species. It will never happen but IF we wiped out all human spirituality, we'd cease to be human. We would devolve into highly-intelligent predatory beasts operating by the laws of the jungle and self-preservation... I promise you, it would be a bad world.
I have no idea what the future holds but you do. Got it. Lol
I don't know any more than you, I speculate based on the assumption we will continue being what we've always been.
I think there might be a creator but believing one exists is not a requirement.

You can believe there is a God but anything beyond that is just wild human speculation. What happens when you die? What happens to bad people vs. Good? Who knows. The Greeks imagined average people didn't to to heaven and we imagined they do, if they are "good". Christianity says good won't cut it. No one is good so we have to believe a story. Very clever.

So we imagined up heaven and most likely God too

You sound confused, and not really making any sense.
And you think your story makes sense? I was simply saying if there is a "creator", that's a completely different thing that saying god sent jesus and you have to believe the story or you don't go to heaven.

Boss has a very generic god. It's a lot harder to call bullshit on his god but at least he isn't claiming it came down and gave him 10 commandments.

So go ahead and believe something created the universe. We've been arguing that since we could talk. Just don't tell me he talked to your ancestor Moses, Noah, Mary, Mohammad or Joseph Smith.

You make a good point. No one really truly believes. Ever see anyone looking forward to death? Or happy when their loveone passes? Hell no! We tell ourselves they are in a better place and one day we will see them again.

Sorry boss but you are trying too hard. You're over thinking this. What you think is improbable or impossible is indeed true. You've invented something in your head. You talk to it and you think it's involved in your life. And it's the most generic vague definition of God. Only you believes the shit you're saying.

A moon is greater than self. The universe is greater than self. What you're doing is thinking you are greater than you actually are. You're just the smartest animal on this planet. But really not that smart yet. You/we have a lot of evolving to do.

And in 5000 years we will still be debating this but I suspect all the ancient religions(Christian Muslim Jewish) will be abandoned

I'm not "over-thinking" anything, just applying basic logic and biological science. We tell ourselves the dead are in a better place because we are spiritually-aware creatures who believe in a better place where our immortal spirit goes... this is an intrinsic and inseparable belief humans have always had and it defines our species. You've fooled yourself into believing this is something we invented even though the evidence shows we couldn't have invented it. It defies nature and logic for this to be something we invented. You can find evidence for when humans invented anything other than spirituality. The reason for that is simple, we didn't invent it... we couldn't have... if we had, it would have quickly become obsolete as our brains figured out it was futile and pointless to believe an invention of something fake. Other than 'novelty' you can't just think up something from imagination and have it serve some vital tangible purpose... it doesn't work. I can believe in fairies and gnomes but I can't cause them to serve some vital purpose in reality.

The moon is not "greater than self" and you demonstrate you don't comprehend what I am saying. I'm not talking about a physical greatness in quantity. I am talking about a power which transcends the physical. I assume you do believe in love, right? That would be an example of something non-physical that can be greater than self. That's not the moon or the physical universe. Does the moon make you love someone or not love them? Does the universe make you desire to leave a better world behind after you're gone? Those are spiritual inclinations driven by your spiritual awareness.

You have no idea what the future holds for our species. You can speculate based on assumptions but you have no crystal ball or way of knowing the future. If we still exist in 5k years, we'll still be spiritual creatures for the most part, just as we always have been... it defines our species. Religions are man-made constructs which CONFIRM our spirituality... they may come and go, they always have. Spirituality is a constant for our species. It will never happen but IF we wiped out all human spirituality, we'd cease to be human. We would devolve into highly-intelligent predatory beasts operating by the laws of the jungle and self-preservation... I promise you, it would be a bad world.
I have no idea what the future holds but you do. Got it. Lol
I don't know any more than you, I speculate based on the assumption we will continue being what we've always been.
I think there might be a creator but believing one exists is not a requirement.

You can believe there is a God but anything beyond that is just wild human speculation. What happens when you die? What happens to bad people vs. Good? Who knows. The Greeks imagined average people didn't to to heaven and we imagined they do, if they are "good". Christianity says good won't cut it. No one is good so we have to believe a story. Very clever.

So we imagined up heaven and most likely God too

You sound confused, and not really making any sense.
Maybe if you came around more than once every 8 years you'd be a lot sharper.

How did your gods create themselves?

How many times do I need to answer this, Hollie?

Spiritual things don't require physical creation.

To "create" something is to bring something into physical state of existence.

Spiritual things are not physical things. This is why you have such a difficult time understanding God... you keep wanting to imagine God as a physical being of some kind.
It's just so convenient to grant your gods and magical spirit realms special dispensations with the classic "...... because I say so", commandment.

These dispensations and exceptions must therefore apply to all the other gods and all the other magical spirit realms.

Tell us what uniquely separates your gods and your spirit realms from those of the Greek gods.

Boss has a very generic god.

I realize this is your perception but it's not what I said. I don't "have" anything. I am aware of spiritual nature. All that I can tell you that I "know" is what I believe based on evidence and proof to myself. I can't tell you that what I "know" is truth or not... we can never actually "know" anything, including reality. Everything we claim to "know" is rooted in faith. Everything.

Now you will say... But "science knows" this or that... not true. Science may believe this or that and it may have plenty of evidence and proof to support it's belief. It's still a belief and not an absolute truth.

I don't understand what a "generic god" is or what that means. I don't believe in a human-like deity with humanistic characteristics of love, hate, envy, anger, need, compassion, etc. I believe (because I experience it) in a spiritual force coursing through our physical universe, guiding us on a path toward light and away from darkness, toward good and away from evil. This force provides for us with an inspiration to achieve and accomplish amazing things and overcome tremendous adversity.

Spiritual things are not physical things. This is why you have such a difficult time understanding God... you keep wanting to imagine God as a physical being of some kind.
It's just so convenient to grant your gods and magical spirit realms special dispensations with the classic "...... because I say so", commandment.

These dispensations and exceptions must therefore apply to all the other gods and all the other magical spirit realms.

Tell us what uniquely separates your gods and your spirit realms from those of the Greek gods.

I don't know that it's "unique" it may not be. The Greeks may have contemplated the very same spiritual force and their incarnation of "Gods" to explain this are all we have evidence of today. I can't ask the Greeks, they're all dead now.

There is no "dispensation" here. The spiritual simply doesn't require physical creation which is what you asked me about. The spiritual exists (in a spiritual sense) because of logic. Something had to create physics and physical nature. It defies logic that it created itself.

I realize this is your perception but it's not what I said. I don't "have" anything. I am aware of spiritual nature. All that I can tell you that I "know" is what I believe based on evidence and proof to myself. I can't tell you that what I "know" is truth or not... we can never actually "know" anything, including reality. Everything we claim to "know" is rooted in faith. Everything.

Now you will say... But "science knows" this or that... not true. Science may believe this or that and it may have plenty of evidence and proof to support it's belief. It's still a belief and not an absolute truth.

I don't understand what a "generic god" is or what that means. I don't believe in a human-like deity with humanistic characteristics of love, hate, envy, anger, need, compassion, etc. I believe (because I experience it) in a spiritual force coursing through our physical universe, guiding us on a path toward light and away from darkness, toward good and away from evil. This force provides for us with an inspiration to achieve and accomplish amazing things and overcome tremendous adversity.
You have just invented your own version of gods and magical spirit realms as superstitious humans have done in the past.

The formidable Union of gods who once managed all sorts of events in nature have been discarded in favor of just a few gods who can multi-task and share the workload of creating thunder and lightning and those events previously ascribed to many gods.

It's really remarkable how similar your claims to gods and spirit realms resemble all the other claims to gods and spirit realms. What separates your claims from all the others?

You have just invented your own version of gods and magical spirit realms as superstitious humans have done in the past.

The formidable Union of gods who once managed all sorts of events in nature have been discarded in favor of just a few gods who can multi-task and share the workload of creating thunder and lightning and those events previously ascribed to many gods.

It's really remarkable how similar your claims to gods and spirit realms resemble all the other claims to gods and spirit realms. What separates your claims from all the others?

A spiritual person is one who seeks to elevate himself, to connect with a higher power, or simply his higher self. He believes there is more to the world than what is easily seen, than what is merely physical. He will have certain guidelines of behavior he will go by, but all in the name of properly attuning with the infinite and entering some higher state of consciousness. Tibetan monks are the best example of the spiritual.

So what is the difference between being spiritual and being religious? One includes the other, right? Well, yes and no. The core of most all religions are built on a spiritual foundation, but remember that Man invented religions and so it is subject to his flaws. If a religion says that it’s alright to beat up a woman for a trivial reason or that you must wear a silly clown hat every other Tuesday, does that make it spiritual? Or even moral? No, of course not. So where, then, does being religious part company with being spiritual?

Religions attempt to gain access to a higher power in the hope of improving your life’s condition. This usually means sending out your prayers to the deity of your choice, hope that you’re heard, then have the firm belief that something will happen. Spirituality involves the attempt to focus your mind to gain access to the higher power within yourself in the hope of improving your life’s condition. This usually means meditating to send your thoughts to the Universe in general, hope that it hears you, then have the firm belief that something will happen.

That deity that everyone’s always trying to pray to in order to make their lives better? It is, and always has been within yourself. It’s just that most people do not have the confidence in themselves to believe that they can access such a power, that they can channel their own solutions (and most do not understand enough of quantum mechanics to realize it is possible). So, they put a face on things and start praying, not realizing that the confidence they have that this higher power can hear and fulfill their wishes is indirectly a sort of confidence in themselves. They don’t dare to believe in themselves directly because someone told them that is bad in some way, so they believe in another.

But there is a science behind it, backed by quantum mechanics, which as we have seen is a lot stranger than anything either religion or spirituality has yet dreamed up. Religions revolve around loving God (by whichever name you give him), knowing that He loves you in return. But why not simply love yourself directly? Because most people cannot; they see only their faults and cannot love themselves, and as such they do not believe that they deserve any improvement at all in their lives. They believe that they must deserve whatever punishment their lives seem to be. Unless they turn to a higher power that can forgive them. This self-hatred, or inability to love yourself, is what gets in the way of manifesting what you need, because deep within you what you’re really intending to manifest is this belief that you deserve all the bad stuff you’ve been getting. So religion ends up being a way out of this conundrum.

Spirituality is all about knowing and loving yourself directly, believing that you do deserve forgiveness and better things in Life. It takes out the middleman of believing in another that in turn believes in you, and just goes straight for the believe in yourself part. Look upon it like this: religion is the power of belief at retail prices, while spirituality is more like wholesale.

So what is the difference between being spiritual and being religious? One includes the other, right? Well, yes and no. The core of most all religions are built on a spiritual foundation, but remember that Man invented religions and so it is subject to his flaws. If a religion says that it’s alright to beat up a woman for a trivial reason or that you must wear a silly clown hat every other Tuesday, does that make it spiritual? Or even moral? No, of course not. So where, then, does being religious part company with being spiritual?

Religions attempt to gain access to a higher power in the hope of improving your life’s condition. This usually means sending out your prayers to the deity of your choice, hope that you’re heard, then have the firm belief that something will happen. Spirituality involves the attempt to focus your mind to gain access to the higher power within yourself in the hope of improving your life’s condition. This usually means meditating to send your thoughts to the Universe in general, hope that it hears you, then have the firm belief that something will happen.

Religions are simply evidence of mankind's human spiritual connection. We connect with something greater than self and we can't wrap our primitive monkey brains around what it is exactly, so we invent religions to explain it.

I don't know that it's "unique" it may not be. The Greeks may have contemplated the very same spiritual force and their incarnation of "Gods" to explain this are all we have evidence of today. I can't ask the Greeks, they're all dead now.

There is no "dispensation" here. The spiritual simply doesn't require physical creation which is what you asked me about. The spiritual exists (in a spiritual sense) because of logic. Something had to create physics and physical nature. It defies logic that it created itself.
From what I just read about people who are spiritual, it seems you are arrogant and instead of answering to a god, you think YOU are the god. The power is within you. No god necessary. Man this is just silly. So obvious what is going on in your head.

Actually, there are a lot of appeals to special dispensations and exceptions.

Appeals to "..... because I say so", regarding your claim of the spirit realms not requiring physical creation are convenient, but unnecessary for those not a part of your version of gods and spirit realms.

How are your appeals to gods and spirit realms justified in light of those gods and spirit realms subordinate to more authoritative claims to gods and spirit realms?

From what I just read about people who are spiritual, it seems you are arrogant and instead of answering to a god, you think YOU are the god. The power is within you. No god necessary. Man this is just silly. So obvious what is going on in your head.
Boss is his own God in his own spirit realm?

That could be. Does he dress in a long flowing gown and wear sandals?

Religions are simply evidence of mankind's human spiritual connection. We connect with something greater than self and we can't wrap our primitive monkey brains around what it is exactly, so we invent religions to explain it.
Spirituality is a broad concept with room for many perspectives. In general, it includes a sense of connection to something bigger than ourselves, and it typically involves a search for meaning in life. As such, it is a universal human experience—something that touches us all.

Even the definition understands you are just trying to find meaning to your life. I love it when people like you think something is missing in our lives because we don't buy into this crap.

Being spiritual is a human experience.

Do a quick Internet search on the word “spirituality.” Go ahead. I can wait.

In less than half a second you will likely get around 47,000,000 hits.2 Staggering, right? While that may seem excessive, it perfectly captures the number of different responses you could get if you asked random people on the street what they think spirituality is. It then becomes terribly difficult to discuss spirituality with others because it is so individualized.

- See more at: What Is Spirituality?

We can see from the Latin that the Romans believed in a connection between our breathing and our souls.

But it wasn’t until after Christianity became the widespread Roman religion that a word for spirituality itself—spiritalitas—actually developed.

The modern idea of spirituality sprang forth from the individualistic tendencies of Transcendentalism. Transcendentalism, which greatly emphasizes the power of the individual’s inner or mental essence, arose in response by figures such as Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau to New England Calvinist traditions that preached predestination and the doctrine of the Trinity. Emerson and Thoreau believed in neither predestination nor the Trinity; they subscribed to Unitarianism.7 Unitarianism states that while Jesus Christ was the son of God and a man, he was not himself an aspect of God as is believed by Trinitarians.

The Transcendentalists became known for their rejection of what they considered to be the conformity of church congregations. They instead advocated a life spent in isolation, during which time God could be experienced. These experiences, the Transcendentalists held, were the only ways in which a person could come to know God. Emerson went so far as to advocate that Jesus, as a man, celebrated the greatness of man and gave man an avenue in which to share in the divinity of God and take on a likeness to God.8

Transcendentalism paved the way for some of the key aspects of modern spirituality. The individualistic nature of Transcendentalism led many people in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries to question organized religions and their definitions of what is sacred and holy. As a result, Transcendentalists moved away from ritualized worship and began to seek out ways in which the individual could connect with the beyond.

That is kind of true. The more I read about people who are spiritual, the more I realize they think they know better than the churches. Boss doesn't believe in something greater than self because he is god himself. He has a direct link to god. Yet notice religions say he's full of shit?

The final element in modern spirituality is the acceptance of the individual by the rejection of the institution.14 In America, this mainly applies to the Christian church, but around the world it applies to all organized religion.

The rejection of institutionalized religion stems from the negative publicity that is unfortunately so often deeply connected with it. Because of the tragedies that can sometimes result from religion—from the countless acts of violence by fanatics to terrorist bombings to child abuse cases—people increasingly want to distance themselves from organized religions, preferring to make their own way through the spiritual milieu.15

Maybe you’ve heard someone say something like, “I’m spiritual, but not religious.” Perhaps you’ve said this yourself. Essentially, this is what people mean. Though they may have some interest in the metaphysical, they prefer to find their own meaning in life over taking the prepared path of religion. Indeed, some go so far as to say the world would be a better place with no religion.

- See more at: What Is Spirituality?

Boss proves absolutely zero evidence is needed for a primitive human to believe.

But as you can see no one is joining boss cult so obviously it's much more effective when you tell people it visited you.

This "greater than self" can be defined as things we don't know.

I used to fear the boogie man and I used to believe in God

Spirituality is an ability to detach from physiology to prosper without death for an indeterminate amount of time.

At least 4 dead, 14 injured in Maryland crash

"At least four people were killed and 14 others injured after a church van crashed into a pickup truck and caught fire in Hyattsville, Md. on Sunday, according to local authorities."

What's the point of a god who never prevents this sort of thing. Church vans crash all the time.

This is proof that car crashes are just as violent a death as any terrorist attack including 9/11. This is why I do not fear terror. I fear stupid drunks and other ingrates driving out of control on the roads. There never was a god but you can bet the farm that there is danger on our highways.

Forum List

Back