Matthew 5:18 "For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not a word will be changed

Campbell

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2015
Matthew 5:18
For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished:

With that in mind.....have you cleaned out your congregation lately?

There are 42 death penalty sins in the Old Testament:

1. Murder. Genesis 9:6.

2. Failing to circumcize. Genesis 17:14.

3. Eating leavened bread during the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Exodus 12:15, 19.

4. Smiting parents. Exodus 21:15.

5. Kidnapping. Exodus 21:16.

6. Cursing parents. Exodus 21:17.

7. Negligence with animals that kill. Exodus 21:28-32.

8. Witchcraft. Exodus 22:18.

9. Bestiality. Exodus 22:19.

10. Idolatry. Exodus 22:20.

11. Making holy anointing oil without authorization. Exodus 30:33.

12. Putting holy anointing oil on strangers. Exodus 30:33.

13. Making the holy perfume without being commanded to do so. Exodus 30:38.

14. Defiling the Sabbath. Exodus 31:14.

15. Working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2.

16. Eating the flesh of the peace offering in uncleanness. Leviticus 7:20-21.

17. Eating the fat of sacrifices. Leviticus 7:25.

18. Killing sacrifices other than at the door of the Tabernacle. Leviticus 17:1-9.

19. Eating blood. Leviticus 17:10-14.

20. Incest. Leviticus 18:6-29.

21. Eating sacrifices at the wrong time. Leviticus 19:5-8.

22. Consecration of children to idols. Leviticus 20:1-5.

23. Spiritualism. Leviticus 20:6, 27.

24. Adultery. Leviticus 20:10.

25. Men lying with men in religious prostitution. Leviticus 20:13.

26. Relationship with a menstrous woman. Leviticus 20:18.

27. Whoredom. Leviticus 21:9.

28. Sacrilege. Leviticus 22:3.

29. Refusing to fast on the Day of Atonement. Leviticus 23:29.

30. Working on the Day of Atonement. Leviticus 23:30.

31. Blasphemy. Leviticus 24:24:11-16.

32. Failure to keep the Passover. Numbers 9:13.

33. Presumptous sins. Numbers 15:30-31.

34. Gathering fire-wood on the Sabbath. Numbers 15:32-36.

35. Failure to purify one's self before worship. Numbers 19:13, 20.

36. False prophesy. Deuteronomy 13:1-18.

37. Leading mean away from God. Deuteronomy 13:6-18.

38. Backsliding. Deuteronomy 17:2-7.

39. Stubbornness and rebellion. Deuteronomy 21:18-23.

40. Gluttony. Deuteronomy 21:20-23.

41. Drunkenness. Deuteronomy 21:20-23.

42. False dreams and visions. Deuteronomy 13:1-18.

Be interesting to see abefore and after megachurch congregation. Thousands of people, then they actually obey their Bibles and there's only a few old people left. :)

The mosaic law was an elementary way to bring a later generation to the knowledge of Christ
The mosaic law was fulfilled, or came to an end with Jesus Christ
The above passages aren't practiced today, but their meaning still comes thru in the form of spiritual death. Which death on judgement day is worse than physical death

Campbell I am willing to help you understand the language of the "bible" ----
"death sentence" in biblical law refers to TWO KINDS of "death sentences"----
those of "HEAVEN" and those of earthly "JURISPRUDENCE" The list
which you have refers to a COMBINATION OF BOTH. In court---MURDER warrants a death sentence------but not liking your parents is a death sentence
meted out by "HEAVEN"

The mosaic law was an elementary way to bring a later generation to the knowledge of Christ
The mosaic law was fulfilled, or came to an end with Jesus Christ
The above passages aren't practiced today, but their meaning still comes thru in the form of spiritual death. Which death on judgement day is worse than physical death

I'm just an ordinary 81 year old. To me when something says literally, "Till Heaven and Earth Pass," that's exactly what it means. What does it mean to you?

Heaven and earth will end before Jesus's words come to an end or have no meaning.
What in truth he was saying was, His words will never come to an end.

Be interesting to see abefore and after megachurch congregation. Thousands of people, then they actually obey their Bibles and there's only a few old people left. :)

Most Christians don't understand much about the bible. A few favorite verses which comfort them and soothe their concerns and a few they've heard from the preacher on car and clothes day. They don't dwell on things with which they disagree or which make them feel extra concern...and they surely don't have much to do with anything they don't understand.

Heaven and earth will end before Jesus's words come to an end or have no meaning.

But that's not what it says! It says till heaven and earth pass not one jot or tittle of the law will be changed.

But that's not what it says! It says till heaven and earth pass not one jot or tittle of the law will be changed.
Mine was one of a broader sense to someone that's just learning
You've obviously spent much more time studying and have deeper import and meaning.
Ok specifics:
v17:Think not that I am come to destroy the law (of Moses) or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill (bring it to an end in me)
v18:For verily I say unto you: Till heaven ad earth pass,(superiority of law of moses to heaven and earth) one jot or one tittle ( smallest markings in Hebrew alphabet) shall in no wise pass from the law (of Moses) till all be fulfilled. (come to an end in me)

You've obviously spent much more time studying and have deeper import and meaning.
Ok specifics:
v17:Think not that I am come to destroy the law (of Moses) or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill (bring it to an end in me)
v18:For verily I say unto you: Till heaven ad earth pass,(superiority of law of moses to heaven and earth) one jot or one tittle ( smallest markings in Hebrew alphabet) shall in no wise pass from the law (of Moses) till all be fulfilled. (come to an end in me)

it would be nice to know just what the word that you translate as 'fulfill' was------
I think matthew wrote in greek. Of course Jesus did not speak greek----so
whatever it is he might have said he would have said it in Aramaic. -----I cannot
imagine why "fulfill" means "end" -------but these disputes over a translation of a
translation are kinda silly since the meaning is clearly very vague to begin with

Administering the Death Penalty requires a Sanhendrin and the legal requirements for a guilty verdict are so onerous it's virtually impossible to be convicted.

Next...

Ok specifics:

it would be nice to know just what the word that you translate as 'fulfill' was------
I think matthew wrote in greek. Of course Jesus did not speak greek----so
whatever it is he might have said he would have said it in Aramaic. -----I cannot
imagine why "fulfill" means "end" -------but these disputes over a translation of a
translation are kinda silly since the meaning is clearly very vague to begin with
I didn't know it meant anything else....but hey, I'm open

You said Jesus didn't speak Greek, but didn't he quote from the Greek Septuagint version as well as the Hebrew?

Revelation 21:
1 Then I saw "a new heaven and a new earth," for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

So that means the law will be in effect till the sea dries up and we can judge by that??

Like I said, clean out your congregations:
There were 42 death penalty sins in the Old Testament:

1. Murder. Genesis 9:6.

2. Failing to circumcize. Genesis 17:14.

3. Eating leavened bread during the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Exodus 12:15, 19.

4. Smiting parents. Exodus 21:15.

5. Kidnapping. Exodus 21:16.

6. Cursing parents. Exodus 21:17.

7. Negligence with animals that kill. Exodus 21:28-32.

8. Witchcraft. Exodus 22:18.

9. Bestiality. Exodus 22:19.

10. Idolatry. Exodus 22:20.

11. Making holy anointing oil without authorization. Exodus 30:33.

12. Putting holy anointing oil on strangers. Exodus 30:33.

13. Making the holy perfume without being commanded to do so. Exodus 30:38.

14. Defiling the Sabbath. Exodus 31:14.

15. Working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2.

16. Eating the flesh of the peace offering in uncleanness. Leviticus 7:20-21.

17. Eating the fat of sacrifices. Leviticus 7:25.

18. Killing sacrifices other than at the door of the Tabernacle. Leviticus 17:1-9.

19. Eating blood. Leviticus 17:10-14.

20. Incest. Leviticus 18:6-29.

21. Eating sacrifices at the wrong time. Leviticus 19:5-8.

22. Consecration of children to idols. Leviticus 20:1-5.

23. Spiritualism. Leviticus 20:6, 27.

24. Adultery. Leviticus 20:10.

25. Men lying with men in religious prostitution. Leviticus 20:13.

26. Relationship with a menstrous woman. Leviticus 20:18.

27. Whoredom. Leviticus 21:9.

28. Sacrilege. Leviticus 22:3.

29. Refusing to fast on the Day of Atonement. Leviticus 23:29.

30. Working on the Day of Atonement. Leviticus 23:30.

31. Blasphemy. Leviticus 24:24:11-16.

32. Failure to keep the Passover. Numbers 9:13.

33. Presumptous sins. Numbers 15:30-31.

34. Gathering fire-wood on the Sabbath. Numbers 15:32-36.

35. Failure to purify one's self before worship. Numbers 19:13, 20.

36. False prophesy. Deuteronomy 13:1-18.

37. Leading mean away from God. Deuteronomy 13:6-18.

38. Backsliding. Deuteronomy 17:2-7.

39. Stubbornness and rebellion. Deuteronomy 21:18-23.

40. Gluttony. Deuteronomy 21:20-23.

41. Drunkenness. Deuteronomy 21:20-23.

42. False dreams and visions. Deuteronomy 13:1-18.

As I look at your list. It's true we don't carry out the death penalty on those sins. But,if a person engages in those sins without repenting they probably won't be saved.

As I look at your list. It's true we don't carry out the death penalty on those sins. But,if a person engages in those sins without repenting they probably won't be saved.

So now you're deciding who will be saved?

Maybe you should worry about yourself. Remember that little thing about judging?

Luke 6:
37 “Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:”

Let's get back to cleaning out the congregations. Remember what they did to witches for thousands of years. Let's fry their arses!

Exodus 22:
18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live

Last edited:

Maybe you should worry about yourself. Remember that little thing about judging?

Luke 6:
37 “Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:”

Let's get back to cleaning out the congregations. Remember what they did to witches for thousands of years. Let's fry their arses!

Exodus 22:
ok, you win. I'm done

Luke 6:

Exodus 22:
ok, you win. I'm done

LOL...I hope you realize I'm just using these forums as entertainment. I'm 81 years old. Cut me a little slack :smile:

Forum List

Back