Why I don't believe in God

Argument from wishful thinking. The primary psychological role of traditional religion is rationalizing the tragedy of death as a good thing to alleviate the anxiety of mortality.

“I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.” – Carl Sagan

What's that to do with God exists or not. You mean the existence of God or not depends how humans behave?

Wow. You're a pretty hateful person. Why? By the way, I didn't say I knew God. Also, my belief in God doesn't come from my childhood nor the bible.

Wow. You're a pretty hateful person. Why? By the way, I didn't say I knew God. Also, my belief in God doesn't come from my childhood nor the bible.
You must be new. First of all, are you talking to me? Then reply to me so i know.

Why am I hateful? Im not. I think believing in God is holding us back. Have you watched the cosmos?

Also consider every two years I vote for someone who believes in God. Would you vote for an atheist? Then I should ask you why you are so hateful towards people who don't share your delusion?

Your post would be a lot more interesting if you told me where your believe in God comes from. Do you even know?

Anyways i know where your belief comes from. It comes from ignorance and fear of the unknown. If you and three other people were raised on an island and never told about God you may come up with the idea that something must have created such a perfect universe but that isn't true. If it is then something must have created god

I think believing in God is holding us back.

In what way is that holding us back? Preventing transgender perverts from using the little girl's room? Signing off on whatever sexually deviant lifestyle you want to live? Allowing women to continue killing their unborn babies? What evidence do you have that we'd be a better society with more of this kind of thing? Because, historically speaking, moral corruption has always been the downfall of human civilizations. Maybe you mean the holding back of great scientific achievements like mapping the human genome? ....ooops... wait, that was done by a practicing Christian... never mind!

The ONLY way you will ever do away with belief in God(s) is to do away with human spirituality... that's why Hollie and Chris are always up in these threads trying to portray spirituality as a religious belief... so they can denounce it. If you get rid of human spirituality, you relegate us to nothing more than highly-intelligent wild animals and the law of the jungle takes over. There is no basis for morality, compassion, love, sharing, empathy, forgiveness, etc. All those human emotions are derived from our spirit and our spiritual understanding of something beyond self... something more important than our personal pleasures and desires.

You have simply failed to make any rational case for your argument. As I said, history, on the other hand, is RIFE with examples of men who thought just as you, that we'd all be better off without that "God" thing.... it always FAILS. Great and mighty civilizations have devolved and crumbled under such philosophy and were eventually restored by hope and spiritual enlightenment.

In what way is that holding us back? Preventing transgender perverts from using the little girl's room? Signing off on whatever sexually deviant lifestyle you want to live? Allowing women to continue killing their unborn babies? What evidence do you have that we'd be a better society with more of this kind of thing? Because, historically speaking, moral corruption has always been the downfall of human civilizations. Maybe you mean the holding back of great scientific achievements like mapping the human genome? ....ooops... wait, that was done by a practicing Christian... never mind!

The ONLY way you will ever do away with belief in God(s) is to do away with human spirituality... that's why Hollie and Chris are always up in these threads trying to portray spirituality as a religious belief... so they can denounce it. If you get rid of human spirituality, you relegate us to nothing more than highly-intelligent wild animals and the law of the jungle takes over. There is no basis for morality, compassion, love, sharing, empathy, forgiveness, etc. All those human emotions are derived from our spirit and our spiritual understanding of something beyond self... something more important than our personal pleasures and desires.

You have simply failed to make any rational case for your argument. As I said, history, on the other hand, is RIFE with examples of men who thought just as you, that we'd all be better off without that "God" thing.... it always FAILS. Great and mighty civilizations have devolved and crumbled under such philosophy and were eventually restored by hope and spiritual enlightenment.
Guys like Socrates decided instead of math they push religion. It's held us back thousands of years.

it always FAILS. Great and mighty civilizations have devolved and crumbled under such philosophy and were eventually restored by hope and spiritual enlightenment.
th

everyone knows what religion thought history and phony spiritualism has impounded on humanity - only a fool fears the Garden its inhabitants and the meaning for the collective existence.

Guys like Socrates decided instead of math they push religion. It's held us back thousands of years.

Well... NO... it really didn't. Sir Issac Newton is probably the greatest genius to ever live and was the father of scientific enlightenment. He was a spiritual man who gained his education through Trinity College, a religious institution and branch of Cambridge, funded by the church. One of his last publications, Observations Upon the Prophecies of Daniel and the Apocalypse of St. John (1733)— published 3 years after his death, is primarily responsible for the modern Protestant Doctrine.

Now, the very term "enlightenment" denotes human understanding of science overcoming state-ordained religious customs. Post-enlightenment, you have NO example of religion banning or restricting scientific understanding... that's what "enlightenment" literally means. So again, your entire arguments rests on events that happened BEFORE the enlightenment, BEFORE Issac Newton! That is certainly not holding us back NOW.

It is possible we wouldn't have advanced as much as we did if it weren't religious I'll give you that. Maybe we wouldn't have freedom and democracy if not for religion. I'm sure morality was better than being ruled by murderous pagans but I do think religion has held us back mentally in a lot of ways. For example stem cell. Maybe we'd have cures already if bible thumpers didn't cry over dead fetus'

it always FAILS. Great and mighty civilizations have devolved and crumbled under such philosophy and were eventually restored by hope and spiritual enlightenment.
th

everyone knows what religion thought history and phony spiritualism has impounded on humanity - only a fool fears the Garden its inhabitants and the meaning for the collective existence.

But this he says didn't hold us back. In fact he now gives religion credit for science.

I guess if you can't beat em join em

It is possible we wouldn't have advanced as much as we did if it weren't religious I'll give you that. Maybe we wouldn't have freedom and democracy if not for religion. I'm sure morality was better than being ruled by murderous pagans but I do think religion has held us back mentally in a lot of ways. For example stem cell. Maybe we'd have cures already if bible thumpers didn't cry over dead fetus'

Nonsense. Adult stem cells have PROVEN to be better in every study they've done. There is no need to harvest fetal stem cells. This is yet another failed attempt by abortionists to rationalize what they're doing. There has never been one single cure for anything derived from fetal stem cells... EVER! And the ONLY argument made politically by the "religious right" is objection to federal funding of such.

As for freedom and democracy... Our very nation is founded on the principle that "all men are created equal and endowed certain rights by their Creator!" The Father of Our Nation, George Washington, said, "It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible." I would think he knew what he was talking about.

Well... NO... it really didn't. Sir Issac Newton is probably the greatest genius to ever live and was the father of scientific enlightenment. He was a spiritual man who gained his education through Trinity College, a religious institution and branch of Cambridge, funded by the church. One of his last publications, Observations Upon the Prophecies of Daniel and the Apocalypse of St. John (1733)— published 3 years after his death, is primarily responsible for the modern Protestant Doctrine.

Now, the very term "enlightenment" denotes human understanding of science overcoming state-ordained religious customs. Post-enlightenment, you have NO example of religion banning or restricting scientific understanding... that's what "enlightenment" literally means. So again, your entire arguments rests on events that happened BEFORE the enlightenment, BEFORE Issac Newton! That is certainly not holding us back NOW.
Funny you mention Newton. He published the plosophy natural principal matamatica which described the laws of physics in mathematical terms, challenging the prevailing notion that God planned out the universe.

Nonsense. Adult stem cells have PROVEN to be better in every study they've done. There is no need to harvest fetal stem cells. This is yet another failed attempt by abortionists to rationalize what they're doing. There has never been one single cure for anything derived from fetal stem cells... EVER! And the ONLY argument made politically by the "religious right" is objection to federal funding of such.

As for freedom and democracy... Our very nation is founded on the principle that "all men are created equal and endowed certain rights by their Creator!" The Father of Our Nation, George Washington, said, "It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible." I would think he knew what he was talking about.
He was wrong and so was Newton if be believes in God.

Bullshit. Gordy howe had to be flown to Mexico to get stem cell he couldn't get here in Michigan.

You're proving religion holds us back by keeping us ignorant to the facts.

th

But this he says didn't hold us back. In fact he now gives religion credit for science.

I guess if you can't beat em join em

there seems to be a sadistic pleasure he derives from Trolling ....

Bullshit. Gordy howe had to be flown to Mexico to get stem cell he couldn't get here in Michigan.

I stated that nothing has ever been cured with fetal stem cells. I stand by my statement.
Before religious nuts didn't like using human embryos. Now it's fetal?

Gordy how had to go to Mexico for a cure. How many poor people can't afford that and just die? I stand behind my comment religion has held us back.

New Topics

Forum List

Back